27 Assisted Living Facilities near Wexford, PA
There are 27 Assisted Living Facilities in the Wexford area, with 1 in Wexford and 26 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 112 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Wexford. Better rated regions include Mars with an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Wexford, call (855) 863-8283.
1 Assisted Living Facility in Wexford, PA
26 Assisted Living Facilities near Wexford, PA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Wexford
Wexford's population hovers just under 14,000, and a little more than 14 percent of residents are seniors aged 65 years or older. To help accommodate this demographic, the city proper has just one assisted living facility, but the surrounding area, including Pittsburgh and Allison Park, have another 26.
Both assisted living residences and adult care homes fall under the classification of assisted living facility in Pennsylvania. The type of facility depends on the specific level of care the staff is able to provide. Assisted living residences are controlled by the Department of Aging, while the Department of Public Welfare is responsible for adult care homes.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Wexford
- Allegheny County is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.
- The American Lung Association gave Allegheny County an F for both particle pollution and ozone levels. This means that the air in Wexford may be difficult for seniors with health issues.
- The state of Pennsylvania offers seniors some savings when it comes to their annual tax bill. Most forms of retirement income are exempt, including pension income for those at least 60 years of age. Sales tax rates are also low compared to most places in the country, which offers additional savings.
- Wexford has no facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Pittsburgh.
- Living in Wexford will cost seniors about 30 percent more than the average U.S. city overall, but housing is the most expensive category which may not be a concern for those in assisted living. Healthcare is about 11 percent less than the national and state averages, which can help cut costs.
- Both violent and property crime rates in Wexford come in well below the national averages so seniors feel safe. Violent crime is rated at 7.4 compared to the U.S. average of 22.7 (where lower numbers mean less crime), and property crime is rated at 12.5 compared to the national mean of 35.4.
Note: Data on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Wexford
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Pennsylvania
Assisted Living costs in Wexford start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Wexford and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Wexford
In Pennsylvania, there are no Medicaid assistance programs that provide funds for assisted living. However, seniors who qualify for Supplemental Social Security Income can use these funds.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Wexford
Wexford and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Wexford, please visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Wexford
Wexford-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Pennsylvania are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page for more information about these laws.