92 Assisted Living Facilities near Mars, PA
Also serving communities of Valencia, Seven Fields, Cranberry Township.
There are 92 Assisted Living Facilities in the Mars area, with 3 in Mars and 89 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 384 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Mars. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Mars 4.1 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Gibsonia with an average rating of 4.6 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Mars, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Mars, PA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Mars
Mars, Pennsylvania, which is home to a flying saucer replica as a humorous nod to its unusual name, was first settled in 1798. Since then, this small community has played a significant role in the region's economy, serving as a farming community, a railroad town, an oil boomtown, a commercial hub and a rural-suburban community. Today, the county in which it's situated has over 187,000 people, roughly 18 percent of whom are over the age of 65.
To serve local seniors, Mars has three assisted living facilities, and there are an additional 54 in the surrounding cities. These facilities are officially referred to as "assisted living residences" or "personal care homes," depending on the care needs of the population they are licensed to serve. Assisted living residences are licensed through the Department of Aging, Office of Long-Term Living, Division of Licensing, and personal care homes are licensed through the Department of Public Welfare, Adult Residential Licensing.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Mars
- The cost of living in Mars is about 3 percent lower than the national average. While seniors can expect to spend nearly 10 percent more on groceries and transportation expenses here, this may be offset by the lower health care costs, which are about 6 percent lower than the national average.
- Mars' climate is well-suited for seniors who enjoy experiencing four distinct seasons. Summer highs are in the low 80s while winter lows are around 20 degrees. The area receives slightly more snow than the U.S. average, which may be a consideration for seniors who travel locally.
- The overall crime rate in Mars is 76 percent lower than the national average, and the borough is 82 percent safer than other U.S. cities. This may provide peace of mind for seniors seeking out assisted living in this community.
- Pennsylvania seniors are not taxed on their Social Security benefits or income they draw from retirement accounts. Pension income is tax-exempt for older adults over the age of 60.
- Public transportation in Mars is provided by Butler Transit Authority. Seniors over the age of 65 can show the PA State Senior Citizen Pass to ride for free all day, every day.
- The Mars area has few facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Cranberry Township.
Paying for Assisted Living in Mars
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Pennsylvania
Assisted Living costs in Mars start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Mars and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Mars
While low-income Mars seniors cannot use Medicaid or any Medicaid waiver programs to pay for their assisted living expenses, those who qualify for Supplemental Security Income can use this benefit to pay for their care.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Mars
Mars and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Mars, please visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Mars
Mars-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Pennsylvania are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Mars
Review of St John Specialty Care Center
My relative is at St. John Specialty Care Center. We can't keep her up for too long because it's $2,090 a month. Right now, she's in the assisted area because she needs to have a care for her menta... Read more
Review of St John Specialty Care Center
My Dad has been a resident of this facility for approximately 9 months. We initially thought we had made a good choice. Boy were we wrong ! My Dad has dementia and they told my Mom that he would ha... Read more
Review of Concordia of Cranberry
We chose Concordia of Cranberry for Mom because my sister's mother-in-law is there, and we're really happy with it. It's a stand-alone building with a porch, and it was built for that purpose, as o... Read more