2 Assisted Living Facilities in Alamogordo, NM
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Alamogordo, call (855) 863-8283.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Alamogordo
Alamogordo has about 32,000 residents, about 17% of whom are aged 65 and over. The city's overall cost of living is about 15% below the national average and 10% below the statewide average. This might make it a good option for retirees who have limited resources. Housing is especially affordable here, which may influence the cost of housing and care for seniors who reside in assisted living.
Alamogordo has two assisted living facilities that provide room-and-board, meals and care services for at least one activity of daily living. The official licensure term for these communities is assisted living facilities for adults, and they're governed by the New Mexico Department of Health.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Alamogordo
- Alamogordo seniors pay state income tax on all forms of retirement income, including their Social Security benefits. However, the state offers a deduction to seniors whose annual income is below a certain amount, which may leave more money in the budget for local assisted living expenses.
- Alamogordo's air quality is very good and is rated 82 out of 100. This is 24 points higher than the national average, indicating that its air is cleaner than that of the average U.S. city. This may be beneficial to seniors with conditions like heart disease.
- Alamogordo has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Foster Grandparent Program, an organization that connects low-income seniors with neglected or abused children, troubled teens or young mothers in hospitals, daycare facilities and schools and allows them to provide mentorship in exchange for a small, tax-free stipend, as well as one senior center.
- The Alamogordo area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Gerald Champion Regional Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Transportation services in the Alamogordo region are provided by Ztrans. This company offers fixed routes and paratransit services, and seniors are able to ride with a discounted fare.
- On a 10-point comfort index on which the U.S. average is 7, Alamogordo is rated 8. This indicates a generally comfortable climate, which may appeal to seniors who enjoy outdoor activities throughout the year. Summers are very warm with highs in the mid-90s, and winters are mild with highs in the mid-50s and 60s.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Alamogordo
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in New Mexico
Assisted Living costs in Alamogordo start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Alamogordo and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Alamogordo
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in New Mexico page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in New Mexico page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Alamogordo
Alamogordo and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Alamogordo, please visit our Assisted Living in New Mexico page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Alamogordo
Alamogordo-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in New Mexico are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in New Mexico page for more information about these laws.