3 Assisted Living Facilities in Carlsbad, NM
To help you with your search, browse the 3 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Carlsbad. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Carlsbad 3.7 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Carlsbad, call (855) 863-8283.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Carlsbad
Carlsbad has about 29,000 residents and is located in Eddy County, New Mexico. The city is home to the North Mesa Senior Recreation Center, which provides an array of activities and amenities to Carlsbad's senior community, which makes up about 14% of the population. This senior center hosts events like defensive driving classes, aerobics and yoga classes, board and card games and quilting sessions.
Seniors who need assistance with some daily living activities may reside in one of Carlsbad's three assisted living facilities. These communities, which are officially referred to as assisted living facilities for adults, are governed by the New Mexico Department of Health.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Carlsbad
- Carlsbad is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.
Carlsbad Municipal Transit System provides fixed routes, demand-response and ADA paratransit service to Carlsbad residents, making it easy for seniors who do not drive to navigate the city. CMTS maintains a fleet of 21 transit vehicles, 18 of which are ADA-accessible with wheelchair ramps and tie-downs. Service is available on weekdays, and fares are based on the type of transit needed.
- The Carlsbad area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Carlsbad Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- New Mexico imposes state income tax on all forms of retirement income, including government pensions and Social Security benefits. However, seniors whose income is below a certain threshold can claim a tax deduction to minimize or eliminate this tax burden.
- According to data gathered by the American Lung Association, ozone pollution is very high in the Carlsbad area. Seniors who have respiratory conditions that are exacerbated by poor air quality may want to stay indoors on high ozone days.
- Carlsbad may be an attractive option for assisted living for seniors with tight budgets, as its overall cost of living is about 15% below the national median and 10% below the statewide median. Housing and utilities both cost considerably less here than in the average U.S. city, which may result in relatively affordable assisted living costs.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Carlsbad
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in New Mexico
Assisted Living costs in Carlsbad start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Carlsbad and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Carlsbad
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in New Mexico page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in New Mexico page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Carlsbad
Carlsbad and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Carlsbad, please visit our Assisted Living in New Mexico page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Carlsbad
Carlsbad-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in New Mexico are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in New Mexico page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Carlsbad
Review of River Bend Retirement Community
Searching for a facility can be a daunting undertaking. When visiting, it is not always enlightening to talk to the residents, for they have made a choice and do not like to think they made a bad... Read more
Review of Good Life Senior Living and Memory Care
The staff at this facility are uneducated, uncaring, and uncompassionate. I am a RN in the community of Carlsbad and we often have hospice patients that live there that unable to live in their own... Read more
Review of River Bend Retirement Community
My grandmother in law stayed at this facility. From what I knew of it, having visited her a few times and my mother-in-law's opinion of it, it was very nice. The staff are very friendly and knowled... Read more