21 Assisted Living Facilities near New Providence, NJ
There are 21 Assisted Living Facilities in the New Providence area, with 1 in New Providence and 20 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 215 reviews below for assisted living facilities in New Providence. On average, consumers rate assisted living in New Providence 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Avon with an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in New Providence, call (855) 863-8283.
1 Assisted Living Facility in New Providence, NJ
20 Assisted Living Facilities near New Providence, NJ
Other Options in New Providence, NJ
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in New Providence
Review of Lantern Hill Retirement Community
The facility is very nice and the people are pleasant, but they need to staff the memory care area better. On several occasions, memory care patients have tried to enter my friend’s room uninvited... Read more
Review of Lantern Hill Retirement Community
Lantern Hill was very nice and new. They have trips to different places for the residents, they play bridge and other intellectual things. Most important of all, the food was good. Everything about... Read more
Assisted Living near Union County, NJ
More Options Near New Providence, NJ
What to Consider About Assisted Living in New Providence
New Providence is a residential area and business district situated within the Watchung Mountains in New Jersey. The town is close to Interstate 78 and about 25 minutes from Newark, making it a convenient location for residents who like to venture into that city.
About 13,000 people live in New Providence. Senior citizens comprise 14 percent of the residents. The town has one assisted living facility, and the larger vicinity of Union County offers another nine facilities. In New Jersey, facilities where four or more people reside in apartment units with private rooms and shared spaces are called assisted living residences.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in New Providence
- The climate in New Providence scores 13 points lower than the U.S. average on Sperling's Comfort Index, which may not be ideal for seniors who are active outdoors. Summer days can be hot and humid, with average highs of 85 degrees Fahrenheit. Winter temperatures drop to an average low of 20 degrees, and the town gets about 24 inches of snow each year.
- Seniors needn't worry too much about crime in New Providence, as the local crime rate is far below average. New Providence ranks in the safest 9 percent of U.S. cities. The chance of violent crime is 1 in 6,379, compared with the New Jersey average of 1 in 408.
- New Providence features convenient transportation by bus or rail via NJ Transit. Seniors pay lower fees with a Reduced Fare/ID card.
- The cost of living in New Providence is 78 percent higher than the national average and therefore may be expensive for seniors with a limited income. The cost is 51 percent higher than average for New Jersey. Most living expenses are similar to the state and U.S. averages, but housing prices are much higher.
- The New Providence area is home to world-class medical facilities, including the Overlook Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- New Providence has an array of community resources for seniors, including the DeCorso Community Center, where seniors 55 and older can participate in a wide variety of free activities and events, as well as the New Providence Senior Citizens Club.
Paying for Assisted Living in New Providence
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in New Jersey
Assisted Living costs in New Providence start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in New Providence and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in New Providence
Financial help for assisted living in New Jersey is available to Medicaid recipients through the Managed Long Term Services and Supports (MLTSS) program. Seniors with Social Security Income can automatically qualify for Medicaid.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in New Jersey page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in New Jersey page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in New Providence
New Providence and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in New Providence, please visit our Assisted Living in New Jersey page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in New Providence
New Providence-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in New Jersey are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in New Jersey page for more information about these laws.