19 Assisted Living Facilities near Bedford, NH
With an average cost of $6,012 in Bedford, it’s often difficult to find assisted living communities that provide high-quality care at an affordable price. At Caring.com, our mission is to make this process as smooth and painless as possible, and we’ve helped many families along the way.
This guide provides everything you need to quickly compare communities and narrow your search, including 40 unique reviews from residents and our comprehensive database that gives pricing, amenity information, photos and more on the 6 facilities in Bedford.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Bedford, NH
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Bedford
Bedford prides itself on being an upscale town located next to Manchester, New Hampshire’s largest city, and just 50 miles from Boston. Bedford is home to four Assisted Living Facilities (ALFs) in town and an additional 16 in the surrounding area. In Bedford, and throughout New Hampshire, ALFs are referred to as Residential Care Facilities (RCFs) and are defined as communal senior residences for three or more individuals. They provide 24-hour support and assistance with meals, medication management and activities of daily living. The New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services governs the policies of these facilities.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Bedford
- Seniors can enjoy some extra spending money in Bedford because the state of New Hampshire has no state tax. This means taxes are not taken from any retirement income, and no sales tax is paid.
- The Bedford area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Elliot Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- The winters in Bedford are chilly, with an average low temperature is 13 degrees in January and 57 inches of snowfall, which is 31 inches higher than the national average, so seniors may have difficulty being active all year round. The summers are pleasant, however, with an average high temperature of 82 degrees in July, letting seniors enjoy the natural beauty and fresh air.
- Seniors and their loved ones can feel very safe in Bedford due to the low crime rate. Property crime is 24.3 out of 100 (1 being the safest), and violent crime is 15.8, both of which are below the national averages of 38.1 and 31.1, respectively.
- Seniors with a respiratory illness or severe asthma could have difficulty on smoggy days in Bedford. The American Lung Association gave an outstanding Particle Pollution 24-hour score of A to this area, but the Ozone score was not so good with a C ranking.
- Seniors can enjoy shopping at major retailers in Bedford such as Walmart, Target and Macy’s thanks to the Manchester Transit fixed route bus system. MT buses are accessible to those with mobility devices and provide discounted rates for seniors.
Paying for Assisted Living in Bedford
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in New Hampshire
Assisted Living costs in Bedford start around $6,012 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Bedford and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Bedford
Seniors on a budget may be eligible for financial aid concerning assisted living costs through NH Medicaid’s Home and Community Based Services Waiver (HCBS). There are no non-Medicaid programs available in the state of New Hampshire.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in New Hampshire page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in New Hampshire page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Bedford
Bedford and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Bedford, please visit our Assisted Living in New Hampshire page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Bedford
Bedford-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in New Hampshire are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in New Hampshire page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Bedford, NH
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Bedford
Review of Bedford Falls
Bedford Falls was very nice and relatively new, from the looks of it. It's more of a hospital setting. The staff was very nice. She was good up until the point when she found out that we would be u... Read more
Review of Bentley Commons at Bedford
Bentley Commons at Bedford was very clean. The staff seemed very friendly and attentive. I thought that the units that they showed us, both the one-bedroom and two-bedroom, were a good size. I like... Read more
Review of Bowman Place at Olde Bedford
Everything about Bowman Place at Olde Bedford was great. Our tour experience was fantastic. The director was a true pro and she's nice. The whole staff was incredibly nice and they knew their stuff... Read more