Manchester is a large, diverse New Hampshire city with a small-town feel, and it’s ranked as one of the best places to live for retired military veterans. With an overall population of approximately 112,673 residents, Manchester’s percentage of adult residents aged 65 and up is 13.2%. Area seniors have a variety of choices when it comes to medical care, with 223 physicians per 100,000 people, higher than the U.S. average. Manchester is home to the award-winning Elliot Health System and the Elliot Senior Health Center, which offers a network of senior health care services.

Nursing homes provide residents with 24-hour medical supervision and personal needs care, including ongoing monitoring of medications, meals, activities and access to various types of therapy.

According to the Genworth 2020 Cost of Care Survey, nursing home costs for seniors living in Manchester are much higher than the U.S. average. A semiprivate room in a Manchester nursing home averages $11,330 per month, while the national average for a comparable room is $7,756. Seniors who require assistance with life’s daily needs but don’t need full-time nursing home care may want to compare home health care and assisted living facility arrangements in Manchester.

Directory of Nursing Homes in Manchester, NH

Villa Crest

1276 Hanover Street, Manchester, NH, 03104

When I walked through this front door, I felt like I was "HOME" The staff greeted me promptly, and encouraged me to stay for a complimentary lunch in their family style restaurant. I could tell imme … (read more)

Holy Cross Health Center

357 Island Pond Road , Manchester, NH, 03109

I visited Holy Cross, and it was nice and clean. They had card playing, and they were doing crafts. They seemed nice and very caring. Their dining room was very nice.

Mount Carmel Rehabilitation And Nursing Center

235 Myrtle Street , Manchester, NH, 03104

My mom is currently at Mt. Carmel Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, and our experience with them has been very, very good. The care has been outstanding, and the staff is very caring. They keep me up … (read more)

Hanover Hill Health Care Center

700 Hanover Street, Manchester, NH, 03104

My mom was at the Hanover Hill Health Care Center and they took good care of her. I was there all the time, like almost every day, and I think they’ve done a good job. It was pretty homey, and I was s … (read more)

Maple Leaf Health Care Center

198 Pearl Street, Manchester, NH, 03104

My dad is at Maple Leaf Health Care Center. We haven’t been able to go and see him, so I don’t know how he’s doing, but I can tell that he is clean. I saw his fingernails were clean, he was neat looki … (read more)

Saint Teresa Rehabilitation and Nursing Center

519 Bridge Street , Manchester, NH, 03104

I was disappointed to see so many people smoking at the entrance. Many of the staff seemed grumpy and not approachable. I was Disappointed:-(

The Courville At Manchester

44 West Webster Street, Manchester, NH, 03104

Courville at Manchester is located on the northern end of Manchester, New Hampshire, next to a handful of movie theaters and shopping malls. Visitors have noticed the large-screen TVs, private lounge … (read more)

Hackett Hill Healthcare Center

191 Hacket Hill Road , Manchester, NH, 03102

This facility needs a major update! They are understaffed, the food is horrible, and morale is low. Most of the staff are helpful and work to assist where they can. I was told at the hospital by th … (read more)

St Joseph Residence

495 Mammoth Road, Manchester, NH, 03104

Bel Air Nursing & Rehab Center

29 Center Street , Goffstown, NH, 03045

A wonderful and caring staff. Always willing to accommodate visits.
A wonderful and caring staff. Always willing to accommodate visits.

Pleasant Valley Nursing Center

8 Peabody Road , Derry, NH, 03038

My Mother was a resident of Pleasant Valley Nursing Center. She unfortunately had CA and the staff were so kind and caring. She had a favorite nurse she called Princess. I will never forget her impac … (read more)

Bedford Hills Care And Rehabilitation Center

30 Colby Court, Bedford, NH, 03110

Bedford Hills is very good, and they had a rehab center. The rooms are very clean, and the grounds are beautiful. The dining area is very neat and clean.

Bedford Nursing

480 Donald Street, Bedford, NH, 03110

My father doesn’t like the food at Bedford Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, but he’s at a low-sodium diet so he’s not going to like any food. The staff that I have dealt with there is very communi … (read more)

Hillsborough County Nursing Home

400 Mast Road , Goffstown, NH, 03045

Staff is caring and work very hard to assist residence under some times tough situations with help shortfalls. Work well with staff very help and caring. Rooms are clean. Do the best to keep resid … (read more)

Ridgewood Center

25 Ridgewood Road, Bedford, NH, 03110

Located less than a mile from New Hampshire’s largest city of Manchester, located on 12 wooded acres, is the Ridgewood Center for assisted senior living. Situated within the community of Bedford in a … (read more)

Nursing Home Costs in Manchester, NH

The average monthly cost for a nursing home in Manchester is $11,330 for a semiprivate room; for a private room, it’s $12,167.

The Cost of Nursing Home Care in Nearby Cities

When comparing nursing home costs in Manchester with prices in the average U.S. city, costs are $3,574 higher per month. Manchester’s nursing homes are more expensive than the state of New Hampshire’s median costs for a semiprivate room by $684 a month. Some of the areas closest to Manchester have even pricier costs, with Worcester in Massachusetts exceeding Manchester’s average costs by $1,156. Pittsfield nursing homes cost $228 less than those in Manchester, while a semiprivate nursing home room in nearby Portland, Maine, averages $10,220 a month, $1,110 less than in Manchester.

$11330

Pittsfield, MA

$12486

Worcester, MA

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

It can be helpful to look into other senior care options when comparing nursing home costs in Manchester. The least expensive choice is an adult day care center at $1,788 per month. Assisted living facilities in Manchester average $7,560 monthly. For seniors who prefer to remain living at home for as long as possible, in-home personal care at $5,529 monthly and home health care at $5,720 monthly may be more practical options.

$5529

Adult day health care

$7560

Assisted living

$11330

Nursing home (semiprivate room)

$12167

Nursing home (private room)

Note: Data for Manchester was unavailable, so data for the nearest city, Manchester Area, was used instead.

Financial Assistance for Nursing Home Care in Manchester, NH

Free Resources for Seniors in Manchester, NH

Free resources available to Manchester seniors can be helpful, especially for those who can continue living at home with some assistance and programs to help in certain areas of life. Some of the following resources may also help stave off a transition to a nursing home facility.

ResourceContactService
William B. Cashin Senior Activity Center(603) 624-6533This modern senior citizen center, run by the Senior Services Department of Manchester, offers a wide array of activities and classes Monday through Friday. Games, exercise, art workshops, book club and crafts are just some of the ongoing events scheduled every month.
Senior Companion Program(800) 856-5525The companion service helps isolated seniors forge relationships with trained volunteers who provide a social outlet, help with some of the tasks of daily living and provide respite for caregivers.
Meals on Wheels(603) 669-1699Meals on Wheels is a food-security and community-building program available to Manchester seniors. In addition to its core service of delivering hot meals to homebound seniors in need, the program offers transportation to and from dining centers for congregate meals with other seniors in the community.
Catholic Charities New Hampshire(603) 622-4948Catholic Charities New Hampshire provides a number of services to seniors, including transportation to medical appointments, a mobile food pantry program, a food bank and a companionship program.