9 Assisted Living Facilities in Columbia, MO
Also serving communities of Ashland.
The average cost of assisted living in Columbia is $3,943 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500.
To help you with your search, browse the 35 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Columbia. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Columbia 4.2 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 5 families in Columbia find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Columbia, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 5 Assisted Living Facilities in Columbia, MO
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Columbia
Columbia, Missouri is one of only 68 cities in the United States which earned a perfect All-Star rating of 100 from the Human Rights Campaign’s Municipal Equality Index. There are eight assisted living facilities located within Columbia, with 18 in the surrounding area. Assisted Living Facilities (ALFs) are regulated by the Missouri Department of Health & Senior Services. Assisted living facilities are defined in the state of Missouri as those premises which provide 24-hour care and help with Activities of Daily Living (ADL). Seniors can view these regulations and policies on the DHSS website.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Columbia
- The violent crime in Columbia is 36.5 out of 100 (1 being the lowest), which is just a little higher than the national average of 31.1. Property crime is a substantial amount higher at 49.2, compared to the national average of 38.1. This may make Columbia seniors and their loved ones feel ill-at-ease.
- Columbia has an annual snowfall of 15 inches and a low average of 21 degrees in January. Some seniors with limited mobility and those who dislike the cold may have trouble staying active year-round.
- The cost of living in Columbia is 6.8 percent lower than the national average. Seniors trying to save money may find that this allows them to afford higher assisted living care due to lower daily living costs.
- Boone County received an excellent air quality rating of A from the American Lung Association. Seniors with asthma or a respiratory illness may have an easier time breathing here than in more polluted areas.
- The Columbia area is home to world-class medical facilities, including University Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- The town of Columbia offers many arts and culture opportunities seniors might enjoy such as the antique shops, art festivals in the park, a jazz music scene and the A. L. Gustin Golf Course.
Paying for Assisted Living in Columbia
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Missouri
Assisted Living costs in Columbia start around $3,943 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Columbia and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Columbia
Eligible seniors seeking financial aid for assisted living costs have access to Missouri’s Medicaid plan. Seniors can also take advantage of non-Medicaid programs for financial aid. Missouri’s Pharmacy Assistance program, MORx and the Older Americans Act offer assistance to seniors.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Missouri page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Missouri page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Columbia
Columbia and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Columbia, please visit our Assisted Living in Missouri page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Columbia
Columbia-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Missouri are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Missouri page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Columbia, MO
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Columbia
Review of Cedarhurst of Columbia
My mom was a resident at Cedarhurst of Columbia. I guess prior to the COVID shutdown, I was really happy with it. Frankly, I wouldn't be happy anywhere post-COVID, just because you can never see yo... Read more
Review of Colony Pointe
Wonderful staff, clean facility (has improved a lot over the past 3 years) and lots of activities, even throughout the pandemic. Always willing to work with family members to facilitate visits and ... Read more
Review of Colony Pointe
Colony Pointe Senior Living was very clean, very bright, and the staff and residents were very engaged and out in the common rooms. It also has a nice view, and those are the reasons why we chose t... Read more