3 Assisted Living Facilities in Mexico, MO
Also serving communities of Centralia, Paris, Vandalia.
The average cost of assisted living in Mexico is $3,000 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,500.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Mexico, call (855) 863-8283.
3 Assisted Living Facilities in Mexico, MO
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Mexico
Mexico, Missouri is the site of Simmons’ Stable, which was built in 1887 and is the oldest building in the United States to board and train champion American Saddlebred horses. In this historic area, there are four Assisted Living Facilities (ALFs). Three facilities are in the city of Mexico, and there is an additional one just outside city limits. These facilities are defined by the state of Missouri as premises with 24-hour supervision that provide personal care services and help with Activities of Daily Living (ADLs). Assisted living facilities in Missouri abide by regulations that are set by the Missouri Department of Health & Senior Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Mexico
- Violent crime in Mexico is at 23.1 out of 100 (1 being the safest) which is lower than the national average of 31.1. Property crime is 34.5, which is also lower than the national average of 38.1. Seniors may feel quite safe and secure in this neighborhood.
- Mexico has a pleasant summer climate with a high of 88 degrees in July, so seniors can enjoy nature and attend outdoor social events. The winters, however, get cold with a low of 20 degrees in January, and annual snowfall of 19 inches. This could make staying active throughout the winter difficult for some seniors.
- Because the cost of living in Mexico is 17.6 percent lower than the national average, seniors on a budget may have an easier time affording better quality care daily living costs and entertainment in this area.
- Seniors in Mexico have access to OATS transit, a not-for-profit bus company that provides rides throughout Missouri. OATS buses can pick up seniors at their residence to take them to doctor appointments or shopping centers. In Mexico, the buses run on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays, so seniors should be able to get around easily throughout the week.
- Mexico, Missouri is rich in culture and history. Seniors can visit the Audrain County Historical Society located in the large 11-acre Robert S. Green Park. Seniors in Mexico can also enjoy fine music and performance art shows at the Presser Arts Center.
- The Mexico area is home to world-class medical facilities, including SSM Health St. Mary’s Hospital Audrain, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Mexico
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Missouri
Assisted Living costs in Mexico start around $3,000 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Mexico and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Mexico
Missouri’s Medicaid plan offers assisted living coverage to qualified seniors seeking aid. Seniors may also be eligible for several Medicaid waivers. Non-Medicaid programs such as the Older Americans Act are also available in Missouri for qualified residents.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Missouri page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Missouri page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Mexico
Mexico and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Mexico, please visit our Assisted Living in Missouri page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Mexico
Mexico-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Missouri are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Missouri page for more information about these laws.