6 Assisted Living Facilities near Hannibal, MO
Also serving communities of Palmyra, Monroe City, Louisiana, Bowling Green.
There are 6 Assisted Living Facilities in the Hannibal area, with 5 in Hannibal and 1 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Hannibal is $3,000 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,450. Cheaper nearby regions include Quincy with an average starting cost of $2,969.
To help you with your search, browse the 4 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Hannibal. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Hannibal 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Quincy with an average rating of 4.6 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Hannibal, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 5 Assisted Living Facilities in Hannibal, MO
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Hannibal
Stretching along the Mississippi River sits the small yet well-known historical town of Hannibal, Missouri. Respected author Mark Twain was born in Hannibal, but the city has also housed other well-known people, including the"Unsinkable" Molly Brown and artist Carroll Beckwith. Less than 18,000 people call Hannibal home, but a vibrant senior population makes up 17% of that figure.
Hannibal seniors who need assistance with personal care and other daily living tasks can choose from half a dozen assisted living facilities located in the area, plus more than 20 facilities in surrounding communities. The Department of Health and Senior Services creates and regulates performance standards for assisted living facilities throughout the state, so residents receive consistent, compassionate care.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Hannibal
- The Hannibal area is home to world-class medical facilities, including the Hannibal Regional Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Public transportation options are limited in Hannibal, but elderly residents can take the OATS Transit to destinations throughout Marion County. Rides are offered Monday through Friday, and reduced and free fares are available for qualified passengers.
- Seniors who don't mind fluctuating temperatures throughout the year will appreciate the weather in Hannibal. Each season brings something different, from snow and ice during the winter to colorful leaves and crisp breezes in the fall. Summers often get hot and humid, while spring is generally warm and rainy.
- Though Hannibal is safer than just 4% of U.S. cities, seniors may take comfort knowing that violent crimes are rare. Of the 931 crimes that occur each year in Hannibal, only 92 of them involve violence.
- Living expenses are generally low for seniors in Hannibal, Missouri, when compared to other cities in the state and country. The city has a cost of living score of 79 on a 100-point scale, which is lower than the Missouri average. Healthcare costs exceed the state and national average, but Hannibal seniors may save money on transportation, utilities and housing.
- Hannibal residents can meet new friends while enjoying free or reduced-price meals at the Hannibal Senior Nutrition Center. Meals are available from 6 a.m. to 2 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Hannibal
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Missouri
Assisted Living costs in Hannibal start around $3,000 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Hannibal and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Hannibal
Hannibal MoHealthNet for Seniors recipients can request financial help with assisted living costs. Qualified seniors can also receive services through the State Plan Personal Care Option or the Missouri Medicaid Aged and Disabled Waiver.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Missouri page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Missouri page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Hannibal
Hannibal and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Hannibal, please visit our Assisted Living in Missouri page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Hannibal
Hannibal-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Missouri are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Missouri page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Hannibal
Review of Pleasant View
Our experience with Pleasant View Assisted Living has been good so far. The people there are more mobile, which helps my mom be more mobile. I've visited the dining area and my mom said the food is... Read more
Review of Pleasant View
We moved mom to Pleasant View, and she's been there two weeks. It's a very nice-looking community when you drive by. It's very clean and neat. The staff has been very nice, and they take care of wh... Read more
Review of Pleasant View
At this time, Pleasant View is the only assisted living facility in Hannibal, so luckily it is a good one. The building is fairly new and in good condition. There are both independent living and ... Read more