6 Assisted Living Facilities near Hannibal, MO
Also serving communities of Palmyra, Monroe City, Louisiana, Bowling Green.
There are 6 Assisted Living Facilities in the Hannibal area, with 5 in Hannibal and 1 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Hannibal is $3,000 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,400. Cheaper nearby regions include Quincy with an average starting cost of $2,969.
To help you with your search, browse the 3 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Hannibal. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Hannibal 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Quincy with an average rating of 4.6 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Hannibal, call (855) 863-8283.
5 Assisted Living Facilities in Hannibal, MO
1 Assisted Living Facility near Hannibal, MO
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Hannibal
The city of Hannibal, located in northeast Missouri along the Mississippi River was founded in 1819 by Moses D. Bates when it became a major docking port. Today, the area’s residents along with the 2,670 area seniors have plenty to do, including taking tours and local cruises, visiting area museums, strolling through one of the over 30 area parks, enjoying live performances, and visiting local art galleries and monuments. Seniors in need of assistance with daily living activities might benefit from living in one of the area’s six assisted living facilities, including five in the city proper.
The Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services licenses assisted living facilities in Hannibal and in all of Missouri, some of which are referred to as residential care facilities.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Hannibal
- Missouri partially taxes Social Security benefits and public pensions, but fully taxes private pensions and retirement savings account withdrawals. This could put some strain on Hannibal seniors with restrictive budgets.
- The overall cost of living in Hannibal is 79, lower than the Missouri average of 92.5 and the U.S. average of 100. Seniors can also expect to pay less for groceries and transportation in the city. However, healthcare costs are higher than the average at 112.6, which might be of concern to seniors with chronic health conditions.
- Hannibal has a violent crime rating of 27.2, slightly higher than the U.S. average of 22.7. However, the property crime rate is much higher at 68.1, almost double the national average of 35.4. Seniors may want to ensure that assisted living facilities have security cameras and self-locking doors as well as alarm systems.
- Seniors with breathing issues may find living in Hannibal easier than in other parts of the nation. The city has an air quality rating of 67 on a 100-pt scale where lower numbers mean poorer air quality, almost 10 points higher than the national average of 58.
- The Hannibal area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Hannibal Regional Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Temperatures in Hannibal range between 87 degrees in the summer and winter lows of 19. This city might be ideal for seniors who are bothered by extreme heat or cold.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Hannibal
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Missouri
Assisted Living costs in Hannibal start around $3,000 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Hannibal and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Hannibal
Hannibal seniors who need help financing assisted living expenses may qualify for one of Missouri’s three Medicaid waivers. These waivers are called the Aged and Disabled Waiver, the State Plan Personal Care waiver, and the Supplemental Nursing Care Assistance Program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Missouri page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Missouri page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Hannibal
Hannibal and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Hannibal, please visit our Assisted Living in Missouri page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Hannibal
Hannibal-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Missouri are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Missouri page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Hannibal
Review of Pleasant View
Our experience with Pleasant View Assisted Living has been good so far. The people there are more mobile, which helps my mom be more mobile. I've visited the dining area and my mom said the food is... Read more
Review of Pleasant View
We moved mom to Pleasant View, and she's been there two weeks. It's a very nice-looking community when you drive by. It's very clean and neat. The staff has been very nice, and they take care of wh... Read more
Review of Pleasant View
At this time, Pleasant View is the only assisted living facility in Hannibal, so luckily it is a good one. The building is fairly new and in good condition. There are both independent living and ... Read more