37 Assisted Living Facilities near Temperance, MI
Also serving communities of Dundee.
There are 37 Assisted Living Facilities in the Temperance area, with 3 in Temperance and 34 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Temperance is $3,700 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,650. Cheaper nearby regions include Toledo with an average starting cost of $3,084.
To help you with your search, browse the 146 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Temperance. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Temperance 4.1 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Lambertville with an average rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Temperance, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Temperance, MI
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Temperance
Temperance used to be called Bedford Center, but the wife of one of the town's founders was a member of the Woman's Christian Temperance Union and suggested the new name to encourage better behavior among the local residents. Prohibition eventually ended in this town of just 8,500 people, 17.6% of whom are seniors aged 65 and over, and today Temperance is home to four assisted living facilities. In Michigan, assisted living facilities are adult foster care facilities and are regulated by the Michigan Department of Human Services Bureau of Children and Adult Licensing.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Temperance
- The weather in Temperance is hot and humid in the summer, with winters that can get cold enough to cause issues for some seniors with COPD. Summertime highs average 84 degrees in July and August, while December and January lows average just 15 degrees overnight. Temperance is close enough to the lake to get less snow than most other parts of Michigan, though a solid 49 inches of rain fall here each year.
- The cost of living in Temperance is generally close to the national average. Seniors in Temperance save almost 2% compared to the national rate for most personal and household expenses, but healthcare is generally 10% less expensive in Temperance than it is elsewhere in the country.
- Crime rates in Temperance are virtually identical to the national average. In both property and crime rates, there is less than a 2% variance from the national median. One bright spot for seniors is that violent crime rates in Temperance do tend to run toward the low end of that 2% deviation, though property crimes are somewhat above it.
- Public transportation in Temperance is provided by Lake Erie Transit. This service operates multiple routes in the region and connections to the Toledo Area Regional Transit Authority are available on request. Seniors aged 60 and over get half off scheduled bus service, as do veterans and riders with disabilities.
- The Temperance area is home to world-class medical facilities, including ProMedica Flower Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Temperance has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Monroe County Commission on Aging, an organization that provides adult day care, clothing and food assistance, classes and caregiver assistance, as well as more than half a dozen senior centers.
Note: Data on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Temperance
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Michigan
Assisted Living costs in Temperance start around $3,700 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Temperance and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Temperance
Seniors in Temperance may be able to get help paying some or all of the costs of assisted living through the state's Michigan Choice Waiver Program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Temperance
Temperance and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Temperance, please visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Temperance
Temperance-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Michigan are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Temperance
Review of Vibrant Life Temperance
My wife has moved into Vibrant Life Temperance. First of all, it was the money; they had $900 off for the next three months. That was one of the reasons, and the other was that the place was nice. ... Read more
Review of Vibrant Life Temperance- The Cottage
My wife is in Vibrant Life Temperance. They've got three buildings, and she's on Jackman Road, which is The Cottage. She needs a lot of help, and they say she's not supposed to put any weight on he... Read more
Review of Vibrant Life Temperance
We went to Vibrant Life Temperance. They had shared bathrooms. The staff looked fine. I talked to a few therapists, and I thought they were very good. You can tell it was an older facility but I do... Read more