17 Assisted Living Facilities near Sylvania, OH
There are 17 Assisted Living Facilities in the Sylvania area, with 4 in Sylvania and 13 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Sylvania is $4,300 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,505.
To help you with your search, browse the 73 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Sylvania. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Sylvania 3.9 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Lambertville with an average rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Sylvania, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Sylvania, OH
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Sylvania
Sylvania lies just north of Toledo along the Michigan border. With a quaint downtown area and the 63-acre Olander Park, it provides seniors plenty of places to shop, fish or take a leisurely stroll. Residents over 65 make up 18 percent of the people in Sylvania. There are three assisted living facilities, referred to as residential care facilities (RCFs), within the city and another 26 closeby to accommodate seniors here.
In Ohio, these communities provide housing, supervision and daily living assistance to seniors in a dignified residential setting and are governed by the Ohio Department of Health.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Sylvania
- The national average cost of living score of 100 is 2.5 points higher than Sylvania’s score of 97.5 making the cost of living there slightly lower, which could give seniors a little extra pocket change.
- The Sylvania area is home to world-class medical facilities, including ProMedica Flower Hospital - Emergency Department, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- The summers are warm in Sylvania, with an average high temperature of 83 degrees in July, but the winters are chilly. With almost 3 feet of snowfall per year, seniors may not be able to get out much during this time.
- The Sylvania area received mixed rankings from the American Lung Association for their air quality. The ozone score of D may make it hard for some seniors with a respiratory condition. On the other hand, the Particle Pollution 24-hour score was given a solid B ranking.
- Seniors in Sylvania enjoy a relatively average crime rate. Violent crime is rated at 34.2 out of 100 (1 being the safest), which is a little higher than the national average of 31.1; however, property crime is rated at 35.6, which is a little lower than the national average of 38.1.
- Sylvania is part of the Toledo Area Regional Transportation Authority (TARTA) and offers a senior discount so elders can easily get to doctor’s appointments, stores and shopping centers.
Paying for Assisted Living in Sylvania
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Ohio
Assisted Living costs in Sylvania start around $4,140 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Sylvania and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Sylvania
Seniors seeking aid for the costs of assisted living may be able to get help from two Medicaid Home and Community Based Services waivers: the Assisted Living Waiver and the MyCare Ohio Plan (MCOP), which is a managed Medicaid program for seniors who qualify for both Medicaid and Medicare. A third option, the Residential State Supplement (RSS) is funded by the Ohio Department of Mental Health and offers aid to eligible seniors currently enrolled in Medicaid.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Ohio page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Ohio page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Sylvania
Sylvania and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Sylvania, please visit our Assisted Living in Ohio page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Sylvania
Sylvania-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Ohio are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Ohio page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Sylvania, OH
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Sylvania
Review of Charter Senior Living of Oak Openings
Charter Senior Living of Oak Openings was very nice. The staff was very friendly and knowledgeable. It's fairly new, so it's in a very good condition. The rooms were small but adequate. We were sho... Read more
Review of Charter Senior Living of Oak Openings
We toured Charter Senior Living of Oak Openings for my in-laws. We did a walk-through, they were very good, and the lady was very nice. It was a very nice facility, and it was brand new, but I just... Read more
Review of Kingston Residence of Sylvania
Kingston Residence of Sylvania is fine. It's not too bad of a place, and it's about an hour and a half from me. My mother's apartment is clean, nice, and we've had no problems. The people who work ... Read more