10 Assisted Living Facilities near La Plata, MD
There are 10 Assisted Living Facilities in the La Plata area, with 2 in La Plata and 8 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 28 reviews below for assisted living facilities in La Plata. On average, consumers rate assisted living in La Plata 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in La Plata, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in La Plata, MD
8 Assisted Living Facilities near La Plata, MD
What to Consider About Assisted Living in La Plata
Located in Southern Maryland about 30 miles southeast of Washington, DC, the town of La Plata is the county seat for Charles County and home to about 9,500 residents. It’s also 60 miles south of Baltimore, so La Plata’s senior citizens enjoy close proximity to big-city amenities and services while residing in a beautiful small-town environment.
Adults aged 65 and older make up nearly 15% of La Plata’s population. To support those who require help with personal care, medication management and other daily activities, La Plata offers two assisted living facilities, with another eight found in nearby cities. Maryland’s Department of Health oversees the licensing of the state’s assisted living programs (ALPs).
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in La Plata
- La Plata seniors qualify for reduced fares on the Charles County public transportation system known as VanGO that delivers riders to several of the most popular locations in the region. Seniors unable to use the fixed route system may qualify for specialized services that include door-to-door transportation.
- The American Lung Association grades La Plata, and all of Charles County, a “D” for ozone pollution. This may be hazardous to the health of seniors with lung or heart conditions.
- The La Plata area is home to world-class medical facilities, including University of Maryland Charles Regional Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- La Plata offers an array of resources for seniors, including the Richard R. Clark Senior Center, which provides adults aged 60 and over with health screenings, nutritious lunches, trips, social and recreational activities, and computer classes.
- La Plata’s climate may be too wet for active seniors who like to spend a great deal of time outdoors. The area receives 45 inches of rain on average each year and 16 inches of snow.
- La Plata retirees do not pay state taxes on Social Security benefits, but Maryland does tax income from IRAs and 401(k) plans. Seniors with sizable estates should consider that Maryland is one of just two states that levy both an estate and an inheritance tax.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in La Plata
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Maryland
Assisted Living costs in La Plata start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in La Plata and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in La Plata
Maryland’s Senior Assisted Living Group Home Subsidy (SALGHS) program provides seniors who are unable to live independently with subsidies to support the cost of personal care, daily meals and 24-hour supervision in smaller ALPs licensed for four to 16 residents. The Community Options and Community First Choice Medicaid Waivers also cover services received in assisted living. Some seniors may also be eligible for the Optional State Supplement.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in La Plata
La Plata and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in La Plata, please visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in La Plata
La Plata-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Maryland are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in La Plata
Review of Richard R. Clark Senior Center
I am merely a visitor at the Clark Senior Center. They have many activities and various facilities to accommodate lots of fun! The entertainment I have attended has been outstanding, accompanied ... Read more