65 Assisted Living Facilities near Fort Washington, MD
There are 65 Assisted Living Facilities in the Fort Washington area, with 4 in Fort Washington and 61 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Fort Washington is $2,900 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,480.
To help you with your search, browse the 311 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Fort Washington. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Fort Washington 4.3 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Oxon Hill with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Fort Washington, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Fort Washington, MD
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Fort Washington
Fort Washington is named for the fort built in 1809 to defend the river approach to the nation's capital. The fort is now a national park with picnic areas, bird watching and trails that may appeal to seniors who enjoy spending time outdoors. More than 21% of the community's 23,000 residents are aged 65 and over, and there are 57 assisted living facilities offering accommodation to seniors in the area. The Maryland Department of Health, Assisted Living Unit monitors assisted living facilities in Fort Washington.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Fort Washington
- Prince George's County operates TheBus, which provides public transportation in Fort Washington. Senior may also access Call-a-Bus, a curb-to-curb paratransit service. Both services are free for passengers aged 60 or older. The Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority also has bus routes in the area.
- The Fort Washington area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Fort Washington Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- At 139, Fort Washington's overall cost of living is 39 points higher than the national average of 100. At a rate of 100.5, the cost of healthcare is only slightly higher than the U.S. average. However, seniors' budgets may be impacted by the high cost of other everyday expenses, including groceries and transportation.
- The State of the Air 2019 report gave Ozone pollution levels in Prince George's County, including Fort Washington, a failing grade. However, the county received an A grade for particle pollution. Seniors with respiratory conditions may wish to investigate how this mixed air quality may impact their health.
- Retirement income from Social Security is exempt from state income tax in Maryland, while non-public pensions are fully-taxed. Income from public pensions or retirement savings accounts are taxed, but a deduction is available for taxpayers aged 65 and over. Sales taxes in the state are lower than the national average, allowing seniors in Fort Washington to save more for their assisted living budget.
- The overall crime rate in Fort Washington is 17 crimes per 1,000 residents. Although this is higher than the national average, it's low compared to other communities of a similar size. Both violent crime and property crime in the community are lower than the Maryland average, which may reassure safety-conscious seniors.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Fort Washington
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Maryland
Assisted Living costs in Fort Washington start around $2,900 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Fort Washington and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Fort Washington
Fort Washington seniors in small assisted living facilities may be able to access financial assistance through Maryland's Senior Assisted Living Group Home Subsidy. The Optional State Supplement is also available to eligible seniors.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Fort Washington
Fort Washington and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Fort Washington, please visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Fort Washington
Fort Washington-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Maryland are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Fort Washington, MD
Other Options in Fort Washington, MD
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Fort Washington
Review of Prince of Peace I
I am at peace knowing that my aunt is getting the proper care she needs especially during this pandemic. Thanks to the family environment at Prince of Peace, my Aunt Daisy is at peace also. Trust m... Read more
Review of Prince of Peace I
We moved in my aunt in mid March and we have noticed a complete 360. She is a lot happier Read more
Review of In Loving Hands Assisted Living
In Loving Hands Assisted Living is at a section of town where there are a lot of schools like a very busy intersection; that was my only downside about it. The facilities are fine, very good facili... Read more