57 Assisted Living Facilities near Fort Washington, MD
There are 57 Assisted Living Facilities in the Fort Washington area, with 2 in Fort Washington and 55 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 288 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Fort Washington. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Fort Washington 3.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Oxon Hill with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Fort Washington, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Fort Washington, MD
55 Assisted Living Facilities near Fort Washington, MD
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Fort Washington
Fort Washington, Maryland, was the only defensive port protecting the nation's capital between the War of 1812 and the Civil War. Today, the city is home to several parks, a golf club and the Rosecroft Raceway, all of which might interest the senior community that makes up 16.1% of the city’s population.
There are two assisted living facilities in Fort Washington to support this growing number of seniors, and another 55 facilities are located in neighboring communities, such as Arlington and Alexandria. In Fort Washington and throughout Maryland, assisted living programs as assisted living facilities are know are licensed by the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Fort Washington
- The violent crime rate in Fort Washington is 23.7 and the property crime rate is 43.6, both higher than the U.S. averages of 22.7 and 35.4, respectively. Seniors may want to travel in groups and keep an eye on their belongings and surroundings when traveling the city. Seniors may also want to ensure that prospective Fort Washington facilities have security systems and alarms to keep them safe.
- The Fort Washington area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Fort Washington Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Seniors with COPD or asthma may find living in Fort Washington difficult. The city has an air quality rating of 52 on a scale where lower numbers mean lower air quality, six points lower than the national average of 58.
- The overall cost of living in Fort Washington is 139, higher than both the Maryland average of 124.6 and the U.S. average of 100. Seniors can also expect to pay more for healthcare, groceries and transportation in this city than they would in other areas of the state or country. Seniors may want to keep this higher cost of living in mind when considering retiring to the area.
Social Security benefits are not taxed in Maryland, which might leave Fort Washington seniors with more money in their wallets to put toward their expenses.
- The weather in Fort Washington gets hot and muggy in the summer with temperatures soaring to 88 degrees, and cooler in the winter when temperatures drop down to 26. Seniors may want to ensure that facilities have individual climate controls to keep them comfortable regardless of the weather.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Fort Washington
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Maryland
Assisted Living costs in Fort Washington start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Fort Washington and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Fort Washington
Maryland has two programs that may be able to provide financial support to Fort Washington seniors who need help with assisted living costs. These programs are the Increased Community Services (ICS) Program and the Community Options Waiver.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Fort Washington
Fort Washington and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Fort Washington, please visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Fort Washington
Fort Washington-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Maryland are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Fort Washington, MD
Other Options in Fort Washington, MD
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Fort Washington
Review of In Loving Hands Assisted Living
In Loving Hands Assisted Living is at a section of town where there are a lot of schools like a very busy intersection; that was my only downside about it. The facilities are fine, very good facili... Read more