A fast-growing suburb of Washington, D.C., Waldorf is nestled between picturesque freshwater rivers. The city has a population of 81,410 people, of whom a low percentage are seniors, at 9.2%. Waldorf has low rates of crime and pleasant summers. The city’s proximity to Washington, D.C., means that residents have quick access to some of the nation’s best physicians and hospitals.

Waldorf also has a broad selection of assisted living facilities for active seniors who need a bit of help with daily tasks. Staff at these facilities are available 24/7 to provide assistance with personal care, medication management and mobility. Assisted living communities also provide activities and amenities to promote socialization. On average, seniors in Waldorf pay $6,000 per month for this type of care, more than state and national averages.

This guide is designed to provide information about long-term care. It talks about the cost of assisted living in Waldorf compared to nearby cities and the other types of care available then lists some of the resources available to the area’s seniors.

Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Waldorf, MD

The Charleston Senior Community

45 St Patricks Drive, Waldorf, MD, 20603

My friend will be moving into The Charleston Senior Community. She likes it and is comfortable with it. It seems to be a bit more affordable. The staff members were very responsive, warm, welcoming, a … (read more)

Fenwick Landing Senior Care Community

11665 Doolittle Drive, Waldorf, MD, 20602

I chose to move my husband to Fenwick Landing Senior Care Community because I knew someone that had been there and it was safe, clean, and secure. They’re very caring. They watch my husband closely an … (read more)

Morningside House of St. Charles

70 Village St., Waldorf, MD, 20602

We went to Morningside House of St. Charles. I felt that it was very welcoming when you came inside, and the reception was nice. When we did our tour, we went to one of their model rooms. The rooms ar … (read more)

Comfort Senior Care Facility

527 University Drive, Waldorf, MD, 20602

Comfort Senior Care Facility was very nice. But I just didn’t want to share with anybody. They already have somebody in there. Everything is on one floor. They have somebody there who cooks, cleans, a … (read more)

GINC-Ea

5004 Nicholas Road, Waldorf, MD, 20601

Harmony at Waldorf

11239 Berry Rd., Waldorf, MD, 20603

Loving You Assisted Living

2019 English Oak Court, Waldorf, MD, 20601

This facility is very welcoming and cozy. The manager gave me a tour of the home and answered all of my questions. The manager was extremely friendly and eager to accomodate any specific requirements. … (read more)

Richard’s House

5360 Woodgate Lane, Waldorf, MD, 20601

My father is at Richard’s House. I had not actually been there. It’s my stepmother that has been there. I’m two hours away. She has been very pleased with it, and people seem very accommodating. They’ … (read more)

Ardent Assisted Living

2130 Greenwood Drive, Waldorf, MD, 20601

My mom is at Ardent Assisted Living Facility, and it is a private residential facility. The staff is great, and mom adjusted very well there. They are quite helpful and really care about their residen … (read more)

Brentwood Manor Assisted Living

3369 McKnight Court, Waldorf, MD, 20603

Brentwood Manor was like a home, it was a lovely home, but it was so lovely that it wasn’t homey. It was over the top lovely, clean, and so pristine that you wouldn’t want to mess it up. The room was … (read more)

Pure Heart Assisted Living

509 University Drive, Waldorf, MD, 20602

Pure Heart Assisted Living was okay. It seemed kind of crowded to me, not so much with the number of residents, it was just the layout of the home. There was a split foyer, so the residents were just … (read more)

Mandeville House Assisted Living

2950 Fern Hill Street, Waldorf, MD, 20603

Graceland Assisted Living

1106 Cambridge Drive, Waldorf, MD, 20602

Angel Assisted Living, LLC – Waldorf

3394 Old Washington Rd, Waldorf, MD, 20602

Majestic Assisted Living Home

12025 Birchview Drive, Clinton, MD, 20735

Majestic Assisted Living Home has the best care I’ve ever encountered. They truly love their residents and I’m incredibly grateful to host my grandpa at their residence. He’s full of laughter an … (read more)

Prince of Peace I

213 Surrey Circle Drive, Fort Washington, MD, 20744

Prince of Peace I was OK, but it wasn’t exactly the type of setting that we were looking for. I didn’t see many amenities or activities. The owner has a room for five, but she has four right now. It’s … (read more)

Judy Comfort and Care Assisted Living

12401 Molly Berry Road, Upper Marlboro, MD, 20772

Judy Comfort and Care Assisted Living was a nice and warm setting. It’s very homey and it has a lot of properties outside, around the house itself, like a country setting. They have very caring facili … (read more)

Assisted Living at Hawkins Gate LLC

6890 Hawkins Gate Rd, La Plata, MD, 20646

Jobean Assisted Living

9608 Geena Nicole Drive, Clinton, MD, 20735

If you have searched for an affordable place I’m sure you have left some of them in despair believing that you would never find a decent place that didn’t feel crowded, over priced, and depressing. Th … (read more)

Richard R. Clark Senior Center

1210 Charles Street, La Plata, MD, 20646

I am merely a visitor at the Clark Senior Center. They have many activities and various facilities to accommodate lots of fun! The entertainment I have attended has been outstanding, accompanied by … (read more)

What to Consider About Assisted Living in Waldorf

In Waldorf and the rest of the state, assisted living facilities are monitored by the Maryland Department of Health’s Office of Health Care Quality. This agency surveys long-term care homes to ensure they are delivering care in line with regulatory standards.

Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Waldorf

• Waldorf gets relatively mild temperatures, with warm summers and chilly winters. It gets much less snow in the winter than many American cities, at 16 inches compared to 22. The city also receives an average of 199 sunny days per year, only six less than the U.S. average.
  • The cost of living in Waldorf is 13.9 points over the U.S. median of 100. Housing and utilities are the highest-priced categories, but seniors may be relieved to know that health care here is more affordable than in much of the rest of the country.
  • Waldorf is a very safe city with violent crime rates 4.2 points below the national average. Property crime rates are also low, at 28 points compared to the national 35.4. Even so, most assisted living facilities have security measures in place to ensure seniors’ safety.
  • While there are 91 physicians per 100,000 people in Waldorf, which is less than half of the U.S. median of 210 per 100,000, seniors can receive excellent care at the local hospital, University of Maryland’s Charles Regional Medical Center; it has been recognized for excellence in critical care and advanced wound care.
  • The income tax rate here is higher than the national median. Fortunately, sales taxes are lower than average, and the state offers a range of tax exemptions on retirement income. Social Security income is not taxed, and withdrawals from retirement accounts are partially taxed.

Paying for Assisted Living in Waldorf

Seniors living in Waldorf pay an average of $6,000 per month for assisted living care. This price is higher than the state average, which comes to $5,000 per month, according to the Genworth 2020 Cost of Care Survey. Assisted living in Waldorf is also more expensive than the national median of $4,300 per month.

The Cost of Assisted Living in Nearby Cities

The Waldorf area has some of Maryland’s highest assisted living prices. Only coastal city California is more expensive, averaging $6,200. In Salisbury, seniors pay an average of $5,500 per month for the same type of care. At $4,500 per month, Hagerstown has the lowest assisted living prices in the state.

$6000

Salisbury

$6200

California

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Seniors looking to save money might consider other types of long-term care. Home health aides are cheaper, at $4,767. Homemaker services cost $4,601 per month. Adult day health care is the least expensive long-term care option in Waldorf, averaging $1,744. Nursing homes are much more expensive, with a semiprivate room averaging $11,726 and a private room $13,059 per month.

$4601

Adult Day Health Care

$6000

Assisted Living Facility

$11726

Nursing Home Facility (semiprivate room)

$13059

Nursing Home Facility (private room)

Note: Data for Waldorf was unavailable, so data for the nearest city, Washington, D.C., was used instead.

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Waldorf

The state of Maryland pays for assisted living services in Level II and Level III ALPs through the Medicaid 1915(c)Home and Community-Based Options Waiver Program. There is also a Senior Assisted Living Group Home Subsidy Program funded by the state.

Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Maryland page.

Paying for Assisted Living Facilities in Maryland

More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living

• Veterans Benefits
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Long-Term Care Insurance
  • Reverse Mortgage

For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.

Free Assisted Living Resources in Waldorf

Seniors living in Waldorf can make use of the following services, which offer information, assistance and enrichment programs designed with elders in mind.

Resource

Contact

Service

At this local Area Agency on Aging, seniors can access long-term care options counseling and a health insurance assistance program. This agency runs a medical equipment loan closet that has free walkers, canes, wheelchairs and more for those in need. It also runs a Resident Advocate program to protect the dignity of seniors living in assisted living and other long-term care homes.

Service officers at this organization can help veterans learn about and apply for a variety of federal and state benefit programs. This organization can also provide referrals to mental health and medical care through the VA health care system.

Seniors and low-income adults can get free help with civil legal issues from this organization. Attorneys can help with consumer and finance issues, elder abuse and health care access. Seniors can also get help creating care directives, wills and estate plans.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Waldorf

Waldorf-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Maryland are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page for more information about these laws.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Maryland