82 Assisted Living Facilities near Oxon Hill, MD
There are 82 Assisted Living Facilities in the Oxon Hill area, with 2 in Oxon Hill and 80 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 367 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Oxon Hill. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Oxon Hill 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Oxon Hill, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Oxon Hill, MD
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Oxon Hill
Oxon Hill, Maryland, is located along the Potomac River, just inland from the MGM National Harbor. Seniors living in the area can enjoy picturesque views and easy access to the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area. Oxon Hill has over 17,700 residents, more than 17% of whom are aged 65 and older.
Seniors living in Oxon Hill who require round-the-clock personal care can choose from two assisted living facilities within the city limits. In Oxon Hill and throughout Maryland, assisted living facilities are officially known as Assisted Living Programs (ALPs) and are licensed and regulated by the Maryland Department of Human Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Oxon Hill
- Seniors may be concerned for their safety while living in Oxon Hill, where crime rates are substantially higher than national averages. On a scale of one to 100 where 100 represents the highest crime rate, Oxon Hill's violent crime rate is 32.4 and its property crime rate is 55.6. By comparison, the national averages are 22.7 and 35.4, respectively.
- Living in Oxon Hill is expensive when compared with the average U.S. city. The overall cost of living is 28.3% above the national average, which may be unmanageable for seniors with limited incomes.
- Oxon Hill has fairly mild winters, which means that seniors can more easily get around the city in the winter months. On average, the city gets 14 inches of snow per year and the average low temperature in January, the coldest month of the year, is 27 degrees.
- The American Lung Association has assigned a passing grade to the air quality in Oxon Hill and throughout Prince George's County, which means that seniors can safely breathe the air in the city without much concern for negative health effects.
- Seniors in Oxon Hill can access free public transportation Monday through Friday via The Bus, which is Prince George's County's public transit system.
- The Oxon Hill area is home to world-class healthcare facilities, including Fort Washington Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Oxon Hill
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Maryland
Assisted Living costs in Oxon Hill start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Oxon Hill and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Oxon Hill
Seniors in Oxon Hill can access three financial assistance programs that are designed to help cover the cost of assisted living. The state's Medicaid HCBS Community Options waiver pays for the cost of assisted living care, while two additional programs: the Senior Assisted Living Group Home Subsidy program and the Maryland Department of Aging's long-term living supplement, provide seniors with financial assistance for care and room-and-board costs.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Oxon Hill
Oxon Hill and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Oxon Hill, please visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Oxon Hill
Oxon Hill-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Maryland are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Oxon Hill, MD
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Oxon Hill
Review of Mike-William Assisted Living Facility Llc
The one we visited and chose was Mike-William in Oxon Hill. There seemed to be individual type of caring for making sure that people got the kind of food they wanted to eat and that they were engag... Read more