77 Assisted Living Facilities near Oxon Hill, MD
There are 77 Assisted Living Facilities in the Oxon Hill area, with 2 in Oxon Hill and 75 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 343 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Oxon Hill. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Oxon Hill 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Oxon Hill, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Oxon Hill, MD
75 Assisted Living Facilities near Oxon Hill, MD
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Oxon Hill
Oxon Hill is a suburb of Washington, D.C., and seniors are about 13 miles from the capitol's diverse cultural and historical attractions. The city claims a sizeable senior population, with more than 17% of the 17,700 residents aged 65 and older. To accommodate those who need help with the activities of daily living, Oxon Hill offers two assisted living facilities. Another 74 located in surrounding cities provide older adults with plentiful options.
Maryland’s senior living communities are called assisted living programs (ALPs). Those in Oxon Hill, as in the entire state, are licensed and regulated by the Maryland Department of Health’s Assisted Living Unit.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Oxon Hill
- The American Lung Association grades Oxon Hill, and all of Prince George’s County, with an “F” for ozone pollution. This could impact the health of seniors with respiratory or cardiac conditions.
- The Oxon Hill area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Fort Washington Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Oxon Hill’s cost of living is about 28% higher than the national average. Transportation and housing prices are mostly responsible, but groceries do cost a bit more.
- Seniors who enjoy a robust outdoor lifestyle year-round may find the weather in Oxon Hill challenging. With about 43 inches of annual rainfall and 14 inches of snow, winters may be too wet for outdoor activities. The summers can be humid, with July average highs of 88 degrees.
- The Maryland Department of Transportation (MDOT) makes it easy for seniors to get around with several transportation programs. The Reduced Fare Card Program lets those 65 years and older ride the local bus, light rail and metro subway for one-third to one-half the regular fare.
- Seniors and their families may be concerned by the crime rates in Oxon Hill, which are higher than the national averages. Violent crime in the city ranks 32.4 on a scale of one to 100, with 100 being higher crime. The U.S. average is 22.7. Property crime in Oxon Hill scores 55.6, much higher than the national average of 35.4.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Oxon Hill
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Maryland
Assisted Living costs in Oxon Hill start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Oxon Hill and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Oxon Hill
To help seniors in Oxon Hill cover the costs associated with assisted living, Maryland offers several programs. Medicaid-eligible seniors can apply for three waivers: The Community First Choice (CFC) program, the Community Options (CO) Waiver and the Increased Community Services (ICS) Waiver. The Senior Assisted Living Group Home Subsidy (SALGHS) program may provide aid for eligible seniors who live in smaller ALPs, while those living in larger facilities may qualify for the Optional State Supplement.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Oxon Hill
Oxon Hill and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Oxon Hill, please visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Oxon Hill
Oxon Hill-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Maryland are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Oxon Hill, MD
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Oxon Hill
Review of Mike-William Assisted Living Facility Llc
The one we visited and chose was Mike-William in Oxon Hill. There seemed to be individual type of caring for making sure that people got the kind of food they wanted to eat and that they were engag... Read more