Northgate Plaza Seattle, WA

Reviews of Northgate Plaza

Assisted Living Reviews for Northgate Plaza

June 10, 2016

By Janie336837

Our visit at Northgate Plaza was fine. The rooms were very large and very nice. The staff that gave us a tour was very helpful. The food was very good. They had a big calendar of daily activities.

Thank you for posting this positive review for Northgate Plaza. We are glad to hear that our team members provided a good experience when you toured the community. Please let us know if we can answer any questions.

July 20, 2015

By k1955

It's a lovely place, I just wish there were more activities for residents. My dad enjoys playing cards, cribbage etc. There are a couple games going on during the week...Bingo and something else..but it would be nice if there was something like that to look forward to each day.

Thank you so much for sending us this helpful feedback. We will gladly work with our activities team to see about additional program options. Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have additional feedback.

December 18, 2014

By Ellen38

We chose Northgate Plaza for my in-laws as the facility for us seemed great and affordable. The facility is beautiful, the staff was very kind, and the food was great. They offer quite a lot to do. Every Friday they have happy hour kind of entertainment. They are keeping their residents socially stimulated.

September 20, 2014

By D. Golden

Excellent. They aim to please.

September 12, 2014

By Marge5

I never thought tha att my age, I would make so many new friends. All the items and services that I need are within walking distancee, and an express business bus to downtown Seattle stops at my door.

Independent Living Reviews for Northgate Plaza

March 18, 2016

By Brian39

Northgate Plaza felt smaller. The rooms didn't have balconies nor outdoor access from the units. I didn’t like it. They offered shuttle services. The staff was friendly.

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with this feedback. We are sorry to hear that Northgate Plaza did not have all the features you are looking for, though we are always proud to hear that our team members provided a friendly experience. Please let us know if we can offer any additional resources during your search for senior living.

September 07, 2015

By Lucile2

Northgate Plaza was very nice inside and out. They had taken two studio apartments and made it into a large one-bedroom, and I really liked that. It had very nice tall ceilings and huge windows on two ends because it was an end unit. It was very bright and had a very nice walk-in closet and a good-sized bathroom. It was just a very nice apartment. It had a kitchen, a full-sized refrigerator, a stove, and a nice bar area. I just didn't like how it looked out onto a large business/building across the street. There was a nice little park across the street though, and downstairs was a little fountain area with trees where you could watch the birds, and it was very comforting. The staff was very helpful. I enjoyed meeting all of them. Everyone I talked to was very nice, encouraging, helpful, and just highly trained, and the sales people that I talked to were also very good.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write us this review. We appreciate your feedback and we are happy to hear that you enjoyed seeing this specific apartment. Please reach out to us with any additional comments or questions.

June 29, 2015

By Kathryn12

We already found a place for my dad at Northgate Plaza, but he is not there yet. We like the location of the facility, and the staff was very nice. I like the layout of the building and the common areas. We also like the sizes of their apartments. My dad was interested in a one bedroom. It has a dining area and a bathroom. It also has a kitchen, which has a counter, a sink, some cabinets, a refrigerator, and a little stove. They have a lot of activities. They have an activity schedule, and they have a free shuttle that goes to different places in the area.

We look forward to welcoming your dad to Northgate Plaza! We appreciate your feedback and welcome you to reach out to us directly with any questions.

May 26, 2015

By prizepig

We are thrilled with the decision to have mom move to Merrill Gardens at Northgate. Since she has moved, she has been rejuvenated. The activities, restaurant options and staff have been positive all around. It's clean and well maintained. She has found friends and is no longer spending all day alone. We feel that she is safer now that there are staff available to her 24 hours a day in the event of a severe need. However, the staff are available for more than a severe need. Cable is included in the monthly fee, and the maintenance staff have been great in helping when there is an issue with her television. We highly recommend this facility.

Thank you so much for this glowing 5-star review! We are so pleased to hear that you are happy with the decision to move your mom to Merrill Gardens. We welcome additional feedback anytime.

May 12, 2015

I was not impressed with Northgate Plaza because the building was too old, and that's mainly it. I didn't have much interaction with the staff. The representative that showed me around had a prior visitor, so that kind of ran over a little bit. Another gal took me through, and it was kind of impersonal, but they were having a little party that was going on too, so it probably was a really busy time. It was clean, and the two apartments that I saw were a decent size. They didn't have full refrigerators -- which I didn't like; they only had half refrigerators. They invited me to have a meal, but I had already eaten. I did have a pina colada because they were serving them. The residents seemed to be happy.

Thank you for taking the time to write us this review. Your feedback is very valuable and we will be sharing the information with our team. We wish your experience had been more positive and we would be happy to talk to you further if you would like to reach out to us directly.

May 12, 2015

By Ralph14

I chose Northgate Plaza Merill Gardens, and I am very pleased with it. My overall experience is very good. Most of the people I spoke with choose it over the others that they saw because they like the atmosphere here. It is so comfortable that people feel kind of at home here. I participate in the exercise classes and the music classes. The staff is very friendly and is always willing to help with whatever you need. They are very good. There are 2 hospitals; one is within half a mile, and one is within a little over a mile. There is a major shopping mall and a park across the street.

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us this positive feedback. We are so glad to hear that Northgate Plaza feels like home. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us directly if you need anything in the future.

October 11, 2014

By Richard99179150

Merill Gardens is as comfortable as home. The help is as needed and is available at the push of the button 24/7. I would say that the food is just what I need and is always served on time.

September 30, 2014

By Dusty3

A great place to live! I have been here for almost two years. The dining room is social! It's open 12 hours, from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. You can sit anywhere anytime and enjoy lots of selections. There are great activities every day and wonderful spaces to enjoy them. Great staff.

September 30, 2014

By Tex2

The service here is top quality. There are friendly, polite people. Good location. Very good food and the menu always has good choices for meals. I would rate Merrill Gardens, Northgate Plaza as being in the top circle.

September 15, 2014

By Steven9

Excellent, clean, attentive, and well-maintained.

September 12, 2014

By Kim95107450

My father has decided to stay at Northgate Plaza. Originally we chose it because of the location. The rooms are spacious and well-maintained. The food is really good. They have a really nice chef and he does a good job, and the dining room is very pleasant. I think I like best the staff; they are very helpful and friendly. It seems like they just go out of their way to make sure that his needs are met. They very quickly remember who the family members are, and they are just constantly asking if there is anything else that we need. They have all kinds of activities, games, and social hours. They have movies and events, people coming in, and exercises appropriate for older people, like yoga and exercises you can do in your chair, that kind of thing. It is clean, pleasant, very open and airy; it has a really fresh, clean look to it and is very inviting. There is a lot of turnover with the wait staff and some of the housekeeping staff, and I guess that would be the one downfall because some of the wait staff will come in and they are really good, but then a new person will come in and they kind of have to learn all over again.

September 05, 2014

By Barbara98463450

I have been here only a week, but already feel at home, because this community is so welcoming and helpful. I'm delighted with the activities and friendship offered.

By Maureen13

The staff here are very caring and do their best to make us comfortable. Besides taking my luggage off the shelf for me, the maintenance man helped set up my new computer and moved the wall unit to plug in my new TV.

By Jbatzel

We had only 3 weeks to move into our new apartment. Everyone has been really supportive We have met so many wonderful and friendly people here. The transition has been much easier than we ever imagined.

By Eloise3

The people are friendly and it is like having an extended family. We have a program called the Ambassadors who mentor new residents. Each new resident has an ambassador to help them learn how everything works and where everything is.

By Shirley98219450

Very pleasant common areas. Nice artwork "décor". My deluxe bedroom very large and comfortable. All my guests have been very impressed with both "care" and personnel they have met.

By Elma2

From the employees to your fellow residents, you will find a friendly, caring community.

By Daisey1

Exceptional quality food/menu dining for assisted living. Peaceful living environment, with daily activities of your choosing. Excellent staff service, as related to each individual apartment (maintenance). Caregivers, nursing etc. as required for each individual tenant - very professional outstanding resident committee representation.

Questions about Northgate Plaza

Describe the overall population of assisted living residents at Northgate Plaza. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

We have a wide age range here at Northgate Plaza. We have many residents in their 60's and 70's all the way up to a few over 100. Our residents have a variety of interests and have the freedom to live their life in their own way. Many residents come to every class, every concert, every event, every outing while other residents like to stick to themselves and enjoy the privacy they are entitled to. As long as you’re being a good neighbor, we want you to live your life the way you want to live it.

What programs or activities does Northgate Plaza offer to enrich residents' well-being?

We have workout classes, guest speakers, small group discussions, happy hour, board game groups, card groups, chess club, fun outings, live music once per week and a lot more.

What places are near Northgate Plaza or within walking distance for assisted living residents to enjoy?

We are within two blocks of a beautiful public park, a Starbucks, Target, 24-hour fitness, a library, and a variety of other restaurants and shopping. On your tour, ask to see the "Walkability Map" to see just how convenient our location truly is.

What transportation services does Northgate Plaza offer to assisted living residents?

We offer scheduled transportation to appointments, shopping, church, bank, and more. Our transportation bus also has a lift to accommodate a wheelchair or a resident who can't do stairs. Our transportation setup operates within a five-mile radius but can go further than that on a case-by-case basis.

What makes the chef or dining program at Northgate Plaza exceptional? What kind of menu can assisted living residents expect?

Chef Thomas and his team are simply incredible; we encourage you to come sample the food and see for yourself. For independent living residents, they get two meals per day included in their monthly rent. You can eat anytime you want between 7:00am and 7:00pm so you are not tied to our schedule at all. There is also an expansive array of choices for each meal including special entrées, fresh catch of the day, steak, sandwiches, burgers, soups, side dishes, beverages, and a full salad bar. Ordering your food here is like ordering at a restaurant - waiters and waitresses serve you at your table and can accommodate most requests. If setup in advance, we also can usually accommodate specialty diets. Please let us know if you and your family would like to have a free a lunch on your tour here.

What safety features or security measures does Northgate Plaza offer to assisted living residents?

We have a number of overnight staff that works as a team to ensure that we have no security issues. We would be happy to answer any specific questions about this on your tour.

How does Northgate Plaza keep residents' families informed about their loved ones?

In addition to phone, text, and email, we also post to Facebook and social media when we do a big fun event. We also utilize a technology called VoiceFriend. VoiceFriend is a notification system that keeps residents, staff and resident's family members informed of events and important information. When you join our community, you will fill out a VoiceFriend preference sheet that lets us know what your preferred method of communication is - phone call, email, text message, or through your Amazon echo device. Once this is setup, we can occasionally contact you via this method for important need-to-know information. For instance, for some communities in our company down in California, when the fires happened and residents were evacuated to safety, the resident's family members were notified through VoiceFriend that everyone was safe and where everyone was located. This was a critical communication advantage during that crisis because many cell phone networks were not reliable.

What is the care staff-to-resident ratio at Northgate Plaza during daytime and nighttime hours?

We currently have about a 1:2 staff-to-resident ratio overall

If Northgate Plaza accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

We have a few outdoor community spaces on the property where residents can take their pets. We also have a big park right across the street that many residents walk together with their dogs. We also have regular indoor "Bark Park" events where residents can let their dogs off their leashes together to play in an enclosed area.

What ongoing senior care training does the staff receive?

We have regular monthly trainings for all staff and caregivers. In addition to that, all caregivers who work here are Certified Nursing Assistants (CNA) and must have already achieved that license by the time they join our team. Once a CNA joins our team, we offer them the chance to develop professionally and become a Med Tech. We offer this training to our caregivers for free making us a very desirable place to work for the area's top caregivers.

Describe the overall population of independent living residents at Northgate Plaza. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

We have wide age range here at Northgate Plaza. We have many residents in their 60's and 70's all the way up to a few over 100. Our residents have a variety of interests and have the freedom to live their life in their own way. Many residents come to every class, every concert, every event, every outing while other residents like to stick to themselves and enjoy the privacy they are entitled to. As long as you’re being a good neighbor, we want you to live your life the way you want to live it.

What places are nearby for independent living residents to enjoy?

What are some recent off-site events that the community activity director at Northgate Plaza has organized?

We recently went to see Snoqualmie Falls, we did a day trip to Friday Harbor, we went to go see the famous Tulip Festival, and we also regularly visit museums, gardens, parks, beaches, casinos, concerts, performances, art walks, and more.

What transportation services does Northgate Plaza offer to independent living residents?

What makes the chef or dining program at Northgate Plaza exceptional? What kind of menu can independent living residents expect?

What common areas are available for independent living residents?

For outdoor spaces, we have a beautiful greenspace behind the building with benches that is beautiful landscaped. We also have an outdoor plaza area with a big fountain and lots of seating and tables where we hold numerous fun events when the weather is nice. Indoors, we have a bistro that is well-stocked with coffee, tee, fresh fruit and pastries right across from a library with resident computers along the back wall. We have a movie theater room and a full featured salon that can even do manicures and pedicures among a variety of other services beyond hair. Our beautiful remodeled dining room has lots of window and natural light. Our card room has table for all of card players and board game players that live here. In our large multipurpose room, we have workout classes, guest speakers, big events, and much more. You also will find workout machines and free weights in our onsite home gym and fitness center.

What safety features or security measures does Northgate Plaza offer to independent living residents?

Does Northgate Plaza work with an agency or registry to provide nursing and medical assistance as needed?

We are open to all outside providers giving choices to each resident and their families. Any outside providers just need to comply with the same safety and security measures as everyone else who works in the building.

What safety features or security measures does Northgate Plaza provide to protect residents who wander?

We have concierge stationed at the front doors at all times watching who comes and goes. We also have Wander Guard, a technology system that alerts the staff when particular residents leave the building.

Costs for Northgate Plaza

• Licenses: Assisted Living
  • State Licenses: BH2374

About Northgate Plaza

merrillgardens.com

Northgate Plaza is a newly remodeled community that offers independent and assisted living. Our dual-license means you don't need to change apartments as your needs progress, allowing you to age in place.

We are a rental community with month-to-month leases. The monthly rent includes weekly housekeeping with linen service, transportation, all utilities, basic cable, maintenance and two gourmet meals per day. At Northgate Plaza, we emphasize independence and choices. That’s why our dining room is open from 7am-7pm so you’re not tied to our schedule. There is full assisted living services onsite as your needs progress and our dual-license means that you will never have to change apartments should your needs progress here. We are a very active community with a wide array of outings, events, educational speakers and health and wellness programs.

We are located across the street from Howard Hubble park and just a short walk away from Northgate Mall. We are right on major bus lines and we are also across the street from stores like Target, Best Buy, and Ross and we are less than one block from a gym with a pool, a public library, a bank, a Starbucks and a post office. We are also tucked away enough from the main thoroughfare to create a cozy private atmosphere with spacious community outdoor spaces. Our community is actually walkable by seniors to so many businesses and other amenities.

Map of Northgate Plaza