72 Assisted Living Facilities near Mercer Island, WA
There are 72 Assisted Living Facilities in the Mercer Island area, with 4 in Mercer Island and 68 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Mercer Island is $4,501 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,741. Cheaper nearby regions include Seattle with an average starting cost of $3,889.
To help you with your search, browse the 257 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Mercer Island. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Mercer Island 3.9 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Bellevue with an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Mercer Island, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Mercer Island, WA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Mercer Island
Situated on an island in southern Lake Washington just five miles southeast of Seattle, Mercer Island is a quiet, scenic alternative for seniors wishing to reside outside of the big city. The island is home to many seniors, with 20.3 percent of the residents over the age of 65. This large population is served by four assisted living facilities (ALFs) on the island. All ALFs in Mercer Island are regulated by the Washington State Department of Social and Health Services and are defined as facilities that offer room and board and assistance with daily living activities.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Mercer Island
- The cost of living in Mercer Island is 188.5 percent higher than the U.S. average. While housing is the biggest factor in this percentage, grocery, transportation and health care costs are all slightly above national medians.
- Mercer Island has a relatively comfortable year-round climate, scoring a 78 out of 100 on Sperling’s Comfort Index. Winters can be a bit chilly, but temperatures generally do not drop below 36 degrees in January. Summers are warm and dry and the average rainfall per year comes in at around 37 inches, below the national average of 39 inches. The city gets very little snow, only around 5 inches per year.
- Residents of Washington enjoy tax-free Social Security income, leaving more money in their budget to help pay for assisted living costs. Pensions and retirement accounts are also not taxed.
- Seniors can get around the island easily on the bus, with four Metro Routes and two Sound Transit Routes. These routes also make trips to Seattle. Seniors over 65 may apply for a reduced fare permit.
- The city is a safe place for seniors to live and enjoys low violent and property crime rates scoring a 15.7 for violent crime and 21.9 for property crime on a scale of 1 to 100, with 1 being the lowest crime. This is well below the U.S. averages of 31.1 and 38.1, respectively. Mercer Island is safer than 32 percent of U.S. cities.
- Mercer Island has an array of community resources for seniors, including the city’s Parks and Recreation Department’s Senior Social program, an organization that provides arts and crafts, exercise programs, classes and games at the Mercer Island Community and Event Center.
Paying for Assisted Living in Mercer Island
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Washington
Assisted Living costs in Mercer Island start around $3,961 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Mercer Island and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Mercer Island
There are three Medicaid programs that help seniors with financial support for assisted living: Community First Choice Option (CFCO), the Medicaid Personal Care (MPC) program and the Washington Medical COPES (Community Options Program Entry System) Waiver, a Community Based Services (HCBS) Medicaid Waiver.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Washington page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Washington page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Mercer Island
Mercer Island and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Mercer Island, please visit our Assisted Living in Washington page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Mercer Island
Mercer Island-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Washington are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Washington page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Mercer Island, WA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Mercer Island
Review of Sunrise of Mercer Island
We went to Sunrise of Mercer Island. They're very professional. It's very nice and almost brand new. The price is reasonable enough, but the other place is more reasonable for us. If we can afford ... Read more
Review of Aegis Living Mercer Island
We placed our parents at Aegis Living Mercer Island because of its location and amenities. They have activities such as movies, classes, PT, and trips. I tried the food and it was great. One of the... Read more
Review of Sunrise of Mercer Island
My mom will be moving into Sunrise of Mercer Island. It was good and a pretty nice area. It has a great view. The law of nature. The staff was excellent and very thorough. They were doing an exerci... Read more