Country Meadows of Bethlehem Bethlehem, PA

Reviews of Country Meadows of Bethlehem

Assisted Living Reviews for Country Meadows of Bethlehem

August 27, 2016

By Helicopter Daughter

My mom needed to transfer to a skilled nursing facility ("SNF") for wound care following a hospital stay, so my research began with a list provided by her case manager and continued on the internet. I made Country Meadows ("CM") my first choice for several reasons: (1) It offers the full spectrum of retirement living, from independent living to assisted living (with or without memory care) to short-term rehab to 24 hour skilled nursing (also long-term); (2) the reviews were uniformly positive; (3) CM provides a link to its Medicare inspections right on the section of the website devoted to its SNF; (4) it looked pretty; (5) the sample menu seemed tasty; and (6) it is amazingly pet-friendly. In fact, this last feature is what made me lobby hard for a bed for her at CM. My mom is a tremendous "dog person," but just generally an animal lover, and the fact that not only are residents allowed to bring their own pets, but also staff bring their well-behaved dogs to work to interact with the residents, and each "neighborhood" has resident feline "mascots." Despite her love for the canines, my mom became quite fond of one of the SNF cats. My mom, who has dementia and started requiring oxygen for the first time in her nearly 81 years during her hospital stay, was in the CM SNF for about a month and just moved into a memory care apartment in the connected building next door. Everything I can think to say about CM is absolutely positive. The staff is genuinely caring and knows each resident by name. Because it boasts being one of the top places to work in PA 12 times, there appears to be relatively little turnover. There is a whole range of activities geared to interest and "function" level, even in the long-term SNF; for example, my mom, who used to love to cook, was chopping veggies for the canning and salsa-making (these products are sold from the CM neighborhood to benefit a designated charity, often the Alzheimer's Association. One day, there was a "full campus" activity, a performance by a pianist from the Trans-Siberian Orchestra. The food is actually genuinely good ... and the dessert cart in the SNF is "diet-busting"! My mom's extremely recent (yesterday) move to the memory care neighborhood was pretty seamless, and an activities coordinator accompanied her all day to help her get acclimated. CM's attention to detail is evidenced by the fact that her roommate (until a private becomes available) has a family dog who will be visiting - terrific informal pet therapy for my mom. Finally, CM is very good about calling regarding any issues that arise with a loved one. I've discovered that I am definitely a "helicopter child," but the CM staff is helping me to "back off" a bit and still feel all right about it. Certainly my peace of mind has exponentially increased. Obviously, no "personal care"/"assisted living"/skilled nursing residence can ever be the ideal solution (wouldn't we all rather have our loved ones healthy, with memories intact?), but CM, as far as I can tell, is very near that unattainable goal.

March 25, 2015

We chose Country Meadows for my father-in-law. It is very nice, and we have been very pleased. He is in a one-bedroom apartment, and I just have absolutely nothing negative to say about it. It has been a very positive experience, and he has adjusted very well. He was living by himself in Florida and having him here -- we only live a mile away -- is absolutely wonderful. The apartment is very nice. They cleaned it up pretty nicely before he moved in and put fresh carpeting in, and it has a little kitchenette with a microwave and a sink; it doesn't have a stove, but he has all of his meals there. And they just have a lot of activities going on. When he was there at Christmas, he went out to see the Christmas lights; he does a lot of just rides down to the community and to the stores. There is a happy hour with the guitar and such that he enjoys. The chaplain there is just outstanding. I am not sure exactly what else he goes to, but he has a cat, and you are allowed to have animals there. That was big for him because he had to give up his dog since he really just could not take care of the dog. You can even have a dog there, but you got to be able to take care of it, walking it outside and such. So he got a cat that is easier to maintain inside, he enjoys that, and it has worked out well.

Thank you for your note. It’s always wonderful to read that a resident is enjoying his/her new life at Country Meadows. Our fantastic co-workers are always planning fun events, entertainment and outings to make life better for residents, in addition to providing great care. Stop by our ice cream station for a cone the next time you pay a visit to make your life a little better!

October 25, 2014

By Nilsa224

I went to Country Meadows unannounced, but it was excellent. They were extremely pleasant, very accommodating, showed me the entire facility, and gave me all the information that I needed to get. It is almost like going into a hotel and getting a single room. It is like you are in a fancy hotel.

Thank you for paying us a visit. We are very proud of our co-workers who give their all, and then some, to make life better for our residents.

May 30, 2014

I chose Country Meadows because it seems to be all-inclusive. Everything is included there. A lot of the other places have a la carte fees. If you need to get a ride somewhere or if you want something done, it's extra. They have people coming in and helping with physical therapy, ordering what you need, doing your pacemaker check, your PT and INR checks. The people there are very, very nice. Mom didn't want to go, but she's managing fine there. They've helped her a lot with physical therapy. They have an occupational therapist come in, and they make them as comfortable as they can. They will either supply furniture or you could bring your own. You can bring your pet. They have a lot of things going on. They play bingo, they play bridge, they have trivia. They take them out for a ride, go to lunch. Anything you need, they take care of it for you. I've not had a problem. When you first go in, they give you a buddy who stays with you to get you integrated into the routine.

Thank you for your note. We’re thrilled your mother is doing well and hope that she is enjoying a carefree lifestyle. We hope that she is also joining in the fun that our residents enjoy every day.

January 27, 2014

By Donna75767050

Both my parents are at Country Meadows. My dad said there are individuals working there that are very caring and give individualized care. They are busy and there are a lot of people in this facility. They have a lot of activities that my father can participate in. They have religious services at my parents' convenience. The food, I would not say it’s the best ever, but it’s not terrible. During the summer months they have outdoor activities. I believe there is a room where in the winter they can go and get some sun without having to experience subzero temperature. They also have activities that my father would be able to leave the premises and they transport them. They also take them to doctor's visit within 10 miles which is nice. Basically it’s like many of the other facilities that I've seen, but for now my parents seemed to be okay there and I'm not worried about them.

Thank you for the privilege of caring for your parents. We are very, very proud of our co-workers who go above and beyond every single day to care for and get to know our residents and appreciate that you noticed. You are right-there is so much to do at Country Meadows that our residents like to joke that they can be as busy as they want to be. We hope your parents continue to enjoy living in our community.

December 20, 2013

My parents were at Country Meadows of Bethlehem. It was in a nice area, and it was clean and well-kept. My father had Alzheimer's so he stayed in the Alzheimer's area, while my mother stayed in the assisted living area. I liked that she could visit him although they kept them separated in different areas in the same building. The staff were attentive to the needs of the residents and when something happened especially to my father, they called me immediately. They also had medical staff available. My parents were in shared rooms and they were big. The bathrooms were set-up for washing and cleaning with a special toilet and special places for them to clean-up. They also provided help for them if they went to the bathroom. They had activities for the residents like sing-along. The food was good, well-balanced and fresh.

Thank you for choosing Country Meadows. Long relationships are so important in life, and to honor those commitments, we work hard to keep people like your parents together. Even if spouses cannot live in the same level of care, being under the same roof allows for frequent visits to keep the love alive. Our co-workers strive to meet the needs of our residents while providing them entertainment, good food and opportunities for friendship.

September 29, 2011

By VictorP

I visited a relative at Country Meadows. It was very clean and the employees were kind. The rooms where the residents stayed were nice. It was like every resident had their own little apartment. The kitchen area was very nice as well. Families can sit and eat together. The grounds had fantastic landscaping. The residents could go out and sit on a sunny day. Since it is an assisted community, nurses checked in during certain hours. It was nice to know that someone is checking in on your family member. There's also different activities that the residents participate in to make friends. When you are visiting, you can watch these activities.

Independent Living Reviews for Country Meadows of Bethlehem

• Meal Preparation

Training Areas

• Memory Care Training

About Country Meadows of Bethlehem

Many seniors say that aging in place is their number one goal. Country Meadows of Bethlehem, Pennsylvania makes aging in place possible. They offer independent living, assisted living, memory care "“ and, Country Meadows is the only personal care center in Bethlehem to offer skilled nursing in a nursing home environment. Once a senior moves to Country Meadows, she won't need to move again.

Country Meadows of Bethlehem has a 27-acre property right in the heart of Lehigh valley. Its countryside setting includes a picnic pavilion and abundant outdoor activities for residents. Residents can also go for a weekly swim at the nearby Bethlehem Township Community Center's pool.

There's plenty to do in the area around Country Meadows of Bethlehem -- including visits to the Sands Casino and Resort, studies at Northampton Community College, and art and performances at the area's State Theatre. Residents also attend the nationally acclaimed Musikfest -- a festival features fun, food and music over a 10-day period each summer.

On campus, Country Meadows of Bethlehem offers a variety of creative activities and pastimes -- including activities you won't find elsewhere, like harmonica bands and djembe drum circles. Activities like these promote fun and social interaction and deliver a considerable workout. In addition, staff are trained to meet residents' special needs, such as fitness trainers who specialize in helping seniors with arthritis.

Country Meadows Retirement Communities is a multi-generational family business, founded by former Pennsylvania Governor George M. Leader and wife Mary Jane. For over four decades, the organization has remained family-owned, with the founders still sitting on the board. Adult children Michael Leader (CEO), David Leader (COO), and brother-in-law, Ted Janeczek (CFO), now run the establishment. There are a total of 10 communities owned by Country Meadows -- nine in Pennsylvania, and one in Frederick, Maryland.

The organization's family mission is to keep residents self-sufficient and independent as long as possible. How independent is independent? The answer differs for each resident. As we age, we lose ability to perform certain tasks -- but there are other tasks we can still do. Country Meadows assesses each individual to find out what he can do and where he needs help. Country Meadows meets residents where they're at. For example, a man who can no longer drive might be able to help with directions; a woman who can't use a knife to chop carrots safely might be able to fold napkins or tear lettuce.

Country Meadows staff also customizes exercise programs to each individual's ability. Classes are instructed according to levels of proficiency for optimum physical, mental, and spiritual benefits.

Country Meadows strives to help residents find meaning in their lives. The staff knows that giving back to the community can be extremely gratifying to seniors, even as they themselves are receiving assistance. For example, a resident might need assistance getting dressed because it hurts to lift her arms -- but that very same resident might be able to participate in an arthritis advocacy walk. She is giving back and making a difference, and her contribution matters. Country Meadows has partnered with numerous charitable organizations to make opportunities like this possible, because they know that senior lives are made richer when they can help others.

One secret of Country Meadows' Success: they recruit and retain the best staff in the area. They've been deemed "Best Place to Work in Pennsylvania" eight times between 2001-2011. This is no accident: Country Meadows management strives to create a culture of fulfillment and passion by providing ongoing training, education, and career enhancement opportunities. Employees are happy to be here, and families notice that they are gracious, approachable, and helpful.

Community Features

• Close proximity to libraries, senior centers, banks, churches, temples, doctors' offices, veteranarians' offices
  • Shared areas for amusing guests, mingling, and unwinding
  • Picnic pavilion
  • Multiple dining rooms
  • Private dining room
  • Fitness: equipment specially designed for use by seniors
  • Computer center with access and instructions
  • Housing organized according to peer groups
  • Beauty shop
  • Barber shop
  • Gift shop
  • Store

* Apartment complexes are grouped according to level of care

Events

• Annual Musikfest: 10-day summer celebration
  • State Theatre: year-round performances and art
  • Lunch & Learn: lectures from outside speakers

According to Director of Advertising, Mandi Block, "It's all about you." Classes are organized by differing levels of ability. Some activities are actually run by the seniors -- for example, one small group regularly watches opera on DVDs together.

• Nautilus: exercises are devised for seniors
  • Tai Chi
  • Gentle yoga
  • Wii bowling league: all locations of Country Meadows compete against each other annually
  • Additional computer games include golfing, tennis, and baseball Life-long learning programs
  • Volunteer opportunities, like Bethlehem area Meals on Wheels
  • Art classes
  • Painting courses
  • Piano lessons
  • Harmonica band
  • Djembe drum circles sessions
  • Cooking presentations
  • Current events exchanges
  • Support groups including groups for grief, Alzheimer's, and memory care
  • Movie nights
  • Field trips to museums
  • Organized travel ventures

Services

• Skilled nursing
  • Individual food preferences by profile addressed
  • Devoted fitness staff to assist with exercises
  • Physical therapy
  • Occupational therapy
  • Speech therapy
  • Massage therapy
  • Day-long dining: snacks and beverages
  • Regular, high-caliber meals served three times per day
  • Dressing assistance
  • Medication management
  • Weekly housekeeping
  • Weekly linen services
  • Transportation to appointments, errands, shopping, and church
  • Full-time, onsite chaplains with referrals to clerics for other religions

Benefits

• Potential residents learn total costs immediately, as the rental fee is all-inclusive with services
  • Rental fee covers all utilities plus cable television and wireless internet access
  • No buy-in fee
  • 24-hour trained, compassionate staff
  • Pet-friendly

Country Meadows has proven through four decades that it walks its talk. Goals are to:

• Promote a Genuine Sense of Community
Housing Categories:
  • Independent Living
  • Assisted Living
  • Skilled Nursing Care
  • In-home care services (our company also operates an in-home care agency serving non-residents in their homes)
Cleaning Services:
  • Laundry services: Clothing (staff washes residents' clothes)
  • Laundry services: Linens (staff washes residents sheets/linens)
  • Private laundry (residents can wash own laundry on site)
  • Housekeeping (staff provides housekeeping services to residents)
Activities:
  • Organized offsite activities (outings, etc.)
  • Arts
  • Woodworking
  • Crafts
  • Games (bingo, bridge, etc.)
  • Religious services
  • Bocce ball
  • Happy Hour
  • Themed dining events
Guest Services:
Pets Allowed:
Dining Options:
  • In-room kitchenettes
  • In-room full kitchens (includes oven, etc.)
  • Meals delivered to residents' rooms
In-Room Technology/Entertainment: