Located at the heart of the Magnolia State and serving as its capital city, Jackson is a culturally rich community with a little over 150,000 residents. The city has a broad range of services for those aged 65 and over, a demographic that makes up over 12% of its population. These services include nonemergency medical transportation, home-delivered meals and options counselors. The region is also served by many high-performing hospitals and nursing homes. Average nursing home rates start at $6,388 per month, making Jackson among the more affordable cities in the nation for this type of care.

Nursing homes are staffed with licensed health care professionals who administer around-the-clock medical care and monitoring. Those who need a lesser degree of care, such as some help with daily living activities, may find nursing homes to be too restrictive and needlessly expensive. Assisted living or home health care may be more appropriate, affordable options.

This guide features more information on senior care costs in Jackson and the agencies that serve local seniors.

Directory of Nursing Homes in Jackson, MS

Forest Hill Nursing Center

927 Cooper Rd, Jackson, MS, 39212

My husband is in Forest Hill Nursing Center. He has Alzheimer’s. The people I’ve talked to have been very helpful.

Manhattan Nursing and Rehabilitation Center

4540 Manhattan Road, Jackson, MS, 39206

I highly recommend this Nursing Home and the therapy department. My friend was there, we loved the whole entire team at this facility they go up and beyond for family and friends… We highly suggest … (read more)

Compere Nh Inc

865 North Street, Jackson, MS, 39202

Compere’s is, for the most part, a very caring, loving place to put your female loved one. My problem with them (or any other care-giving facility) is that they are all too quick to pump the patient … (read more)

Magnolia Senior Care

3701 PETER QUINN DRIVE, Jackson, MS, 39213

My grandmother was a resident at the Magnolia Nursing Home in Jackson, MS. Our family decided to place her their after she suffered mini stroke while living independently in her home. During her stay … (read more)

Lakeland Nursing and Rehabilitation Center

3680 LAKELAND LANE, Jackson, MS, 39216

If you care at all about your loved one, DO NOT take them here!!! They almost killed my father and I’m convinced if we had not removed him from here he would no longer be with us. We left there and … (read more)

Cottage Grove Nursing Home

1116 FOREST AVENUE, Jackson, MS, 39206

The rooms have high ceilings and are very sufficient. There are areas where individuals or family and friends can visit in privacy. Homey atmosphere. Most residents need highly skilled care. There are … (read more)

Chadwick Nursing and Rehabilitation Center

1900 CHADWICK DRIVE, Jackson, MS, 39204

We had a sister in this nursing home. They wouldn’t even allow us to contact or see her. We were her next of kind. They wouldn’t even give us any information about her condition. She passed and until … (read more)

Willow Creek Retirement Center

49 WILLOW CREEK LANE, Jackson, MS, 39272

When I was looking for a place for my mom, this place had 4 stars, so I want to let people know what really goes on so hopefully their loved one doesn’t go through the same thing. Here are some examp … (read more)

Belhaven Senior Care

1004 North St., Jackson, MS, 39202

My dad resides here. They do not take care of these patients. I visited my dad and he was wet. They don’t communicate with him. The CNA are horrible. My dad doesn’t like them because they ha … (read more)

Pleasant Hills Com Liv Center

1600 RAYMOND RD, Jackson, MS, 39204

Briar Hill Rest Home

1201 GUNTER ROAD, Florence, MS, 39073

This is the best place. Patients are taking care of in so many ways. She has her hair done there every Tuesday. They go on trips to Casino, Walmart & other places. Church’s come to teach & … (read more)

Brandon Nursing and Rehabilitation Center

355 CROSSGATE BLVD, Brandon, MS, 39042

The center do good to all patients with special love and with a special love and concern for their health. They work as a family and care for each other, they look out for you. This is the place I wou … (read more)

Woodlands Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center

102 Woodchase Park, Clinton, MS, 39056

This is an awful place. A few of the nurses are sweet but the CNAs are horrible with extremely bad attitudes. They were so rude to my family and were highly neglectful of my loved one. My cousin was o … (read more)

Brandon Court

100 BURNHAM ROAD, Brandon, MS, 39042

I was admitted to Brandon Court. Very little privacy given – curtain not pulled when I was in a semi private room – door not close. Staff answered call light quickly but didn’t fulfill requests quickl … (read more)

Wisteria Gardens

5420 HIGHWAY 80 EAST, Pearl, MS, 39208

Clean facilities with professional and caring staff. My grandmother was well taken care of at Wisteria Gardens. When she needed assistance, staff were there to help. The therapy helped her get better … (read more)

Care Center of Clinton

1251 PINEHAVEN ROAD, Clinton, MS, 39056

No stars!! This place is the worst nursing home I have ever seen. They are short staff, it smells like urine all through the halls, went in one day and a man was sitting in a puddle of urine and rolli … (read more)

Highland Home

638 HIGHLAND COLONY PARKWAY, Ridgeland, MS, 39157

JNH- Jefferson Inn

3550 Highway 468 West , Whitfield, MS, 39193

Methodist Specialty Care Center

1 LAYFAIR DRIVE SUITE 500, Flowood, MS, 39232

Nursing Home Costs in Jackson, MS

Nursing homes in Jackson charge approximately $6,388 for shared rooms. Private accommodations are several hundred dollars higher at $6,844.

The Cost of Nursing Home Care in Nearby Cities

Jackson is among the more affordable options in the state and nation as a whole for nursing home care, with seniors paying $6,388 per month for semiprivate rooms. This is about $700 lower than the statewide median of $7,057 and almost $1,400 less than the national rate of $7,756.

Jackson is the most inexpensive surveyed city in Mississippi for nursing home care. In Hattiesburg and Gulfport, rates exceed the state median but are affordable compared to the national average, at $7,376 and $7,499, respectively. Across state lines, monthly rates may be lower than in Jackson, with seniors in Pine Bluff, Arkansas, paying $6,183 per month and those in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, paying $6,235.

$6388

Pine Bluff, AR

$6235

Tuscaloosa, AL

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

While nursing home rates in Jackson are generally affordable at $6,388 for shared rooms and $6,844 for private, this is the most expensive type of care in the city. Older adults who need limited skilled nursing services may obtain that care at home through home health care, which costs $3,432 per month. Home care, which is also provided in the individual’s home, doesn’t include skilled nursing and has the same monthly rate of $3,432. Assisted living facilities provide personal care, meals and, in some cases, limited skilled nursing services for $4,348. Adult day health care is the most inexpensive type of senior care at $1,083 monthly.

$3432

Adult Day Health Care

$4348

Assisted living

$6388

Nursing home (semiprivate room)

$6844

Nursing home (private room)

Financial Assistance for Nursing Home Care in Jackson, MS

Free Resources for Seniors in Jackson, MS

Seniors in Jackson can reach out to numerous local and statewide programs and agencies when making decisions regarding their long-term care options. The following table features nonprofit resources that provide free and low-cost advice and assistance to seniors, helping them avoid or delay nursing home placement. These resources can also help prospective nursing home residents identify options for paying for care when placement is necessary.

Resource

Contact

Service

The AAA administers a range of free and low-cost services to those aged 60 and over to help them maintain their independence and make informed decisions regarding their care. It’s staffed with information and referral specialists who assist seniors with accessing services in the community, such as nonemergency medical transportation, home-delivered meals and health screenings. Through its Community Transition Services program, Medicaid beneficiaries work with trained Community Navigators who help seniors transition out of nursing home care back to their homes or an assisted living facility.

Through the city’s Senior Services Division, those aged 60 and over can get direct services or referrals for community-based services that may enable them to age in place. Programs include home-delivered and congregate meals and curb-to-curb transportation services.

The local Meals on Wheels program offers nutritious home-delivered meals on weekdays to those unable to shop or prepare meals for themselves. To qualify for services, applicants must be at least 60 years old and homebound. Meals are delivered by volunteers and Hinds County Human Resource Agency staff members and are free of charge.

The VA’s Jackson Regional Office provides information and advocacy for older veterans in the region, helping them obtain the benefits they’re entitled to. Its staff screens visitors for eligibility for veterans’ and survivors’ pension and Aid and Attendance, as well as veterans’ home placement.

SHIP is a statewide program that provides free, unbiased health insurance options counseling for Medicare beneficiaries. Seniors in Jackson can call the program’s hotline for one-on-one assistance from trained volunteers who can explain Medicare’s coverage for nursing home care and available Medigap and Medicare Advantage plans. SHIP counselors can also help seniors determine whether they may qualify for Medicaid to cover nursing home or in-home care.