Tucson, Arizona, is a charming city with a population of 548,073, and about 14.3% of residents are over the age of 65. The city has no tax on Social Security benefits, and it’s home to a number of medical facilities and drug stores, making this an attractive place for seniors to retire. Seniors in Tucson have access to Northwest Medical Center-Tucson, which is ranked as high-performing in five procedures by US News. According to the Genworth Cost of Care Survey 2020, the cost of nursing home care is less in Tucson than the average American city, at a median cost of $6,565 for a semiprivate room.

Nursing home care is best-suited to seniors who require constant medical supervision and a high level of care. This type of care is often more expensive than other senior care options due to the large number of staff required to provide this level of care. Family members may want to look at other care options, such as assisted living or home health care if around-the-clock medical care isn’t required.

This guide covers the costs of different care levels in Tucson and some of the senior resources available.

Directory of Nursing Homes in Tucson, AZ

2013, 2014, 2018

The Forum at Tucson

2500 North Rosemont Boulevard, Tucson, AZ, 85712

This review is for both Skilled Nursing and Independent Living… first… when I moved my parents in (Independent Living), the manager and her first replacement were fine people… the food at the st … (read more)

2013, 2014

Brookdale Santa Catalina

7500 North Calle Sin Envidia, Tucson, AZ, 85718

Located at the foot of Mount Lemmon in the Catalina Foothills of Tucson, Arizona, and minutes from many coffee shops and restaurants, Brookdale Santa Catalina is an assisted living facility with a 125 … (read more)

Splendido at Rancho Vistoso

13500 North Rancho Vistoso Blvd, Tucson, AZ, 85755

The nursing care of Splendido had a change in administrators the past year. What a drastic change they have made. The residents and staff are complaining about lack of help. Definitely not worth th … (read more)

Healthsouth Rehabilitation of Tucson

2650 North Wyatt Drive, Tucson, AZ, 85712

My mother went to HealthSouth Rehab, and they were fabulous. Our experience was very good. They were well staffed. I wish she could have stayed there. The rooms were small, but they were clean, and th … (read more)

Devon Gables Rehabilitation Center

6150 EAST GRANT ROAD, Tucson, AZ, 85712

Out mother recently was at Devon Gables skilled nursing facility. The care provided and the nursing staff were excellent. Administration went beyond in assisting the family with the dynamics of a fami … (read more)

Sabino Canyon Rehabilitation & Care Center

5830 EAST PIMA STREET, Tucson, AZ, 85712

If I could rate this rehab facility a zero, I would. My father came home with Covid after they refused to test him. He ended up right back in the hospital where he spent the next 3 months! He could no … (read more)

Mountain View Care Center

1313 West Magee Road, Tucson, AZ, 85704

I would never ever put anyone in this facility. My family member was treated very poorly and I filed a complaint against them. My family member was injured here and it was not properly communicated to … (read more)

Handmaker Home For the Aging

2221 N Rosemont Boulevard, Tucson, AZ, 85712

My sister-in-law was a resident of Handmaker Home For the Aging. The facilities were wonderful, but the room was average but clean. They had a very nice dining room where families could join, which I … (read more)

Haven of Tucson

3705 North Swan Road, Tucson, AZ, 85718

Coming here was one of the most special places i could have came, I was on my death bed with sepsis, nurse aids and nurses jump to my assistants. Been here for about a month, beds are clean, room was … (read more)

Foothills Rehabilitation Center

2250 North Craycroft Road, Tucson, AZ, 85712

I was very happy with my tour at Foothills Rehabilitation Center. It was very modern and very clean. Their staff was very attentive. They had a variety of activities. The rooms and the dining room wer … (read more)

Villa Maria Care Center

4310 EAST GRANT ROAD, Tucson, AZ, 85712

When my Dad first was placed in Villa Maria, they called me when there was any incident.. and the care seemed to be good. a smaller nursing home.. so i figured his care would be good.. It really depen … (read more)

Catalina Health Care Center

2611 NORTH WARREN AVENUE, Tucson, AZ, 85719

By far the worst place to send love ones for care. The amount of neglect my grandmother received from this facility is unreal. Majority of the techs/nurses made her feel like she was a burden and mad … (read more)

The Hacienda At The River

2720 East River Road, Tucson, AZ, 85718

My Mom had a stay here after a pelvic fracture. Very poor nursing care. Lots of agency with no obviously no orientation to facility. Wait time on pain medications over an hour, sometimes two! One … (read more)

Waverly Park Healthcare Center

2001 NORTH PARK AVENUE, Tucson, AZ, 85719

I would have given this facility no stars if I had the opportunity. Staff did not communicate. My father was in to have a wound treated and the wound only got worse and the staff was horrible. My fath … (read more)

Life Care Center of Tucson

6211 NORTH LA CHOLLA BOULEVARD, Tucson, AZ, 85741

Family member sent to facility from NW Hospital for rehab until can be moved home. Staff is very slow to react to call buttons. Patient sat on commode chair for over an hour waiting for help. Mo … (read more)

Villa Campana Health Care Center

6651 East Carondelet Drive, Tucson, AZ, 85710

mostly pleasant . somewhat cramped if long term. staff very pleasant and very accommodating . a variety of activities, depending on your ability and willingness to participate. wonderful , well … (read more)

Avalon Health & Rehabilitation Center-tucson

1400 NORTH WILMOT ROAD, Tucson, AZ, 85712

I work with the patients from Avalon when they get transferred to our hospitals and have had pretty bad experience with Avalon. Most of the patients who get admitted to our hospital from Avalon (which … (read more)

Santa Rosa Care Center

1650 NORTH SANTA ROSA AVENUE, Tucson, AZ, 85712

My brother in-law moved in to Santa Rosa about a month ago. It seemed the perfect place for him. Everything is so convenient there. It has a lockdown unit or dementia unit where he stays. He is in a s … (read more)

Casas Adobes Post Acute Rehabilitation

1919 West Medical Street, Tucson, AZ, 85704

I love the staff, they are friendly and helpful. My husband has been there a year and they have taken great care of him. He had a major stroke, so only reason I gave 4 stars is that the in-house thera … (read more)

Pueblo Springs Rehabilitation Center

5545 East Lee Street, Tucson, AZ, 85712

Horrible place. I went here after discharge from TMC after being "recruited"by one of their hospital liaison s . in competent staff for the most part. I missed vital meds that I had brought in myself. … (read more)

Nursing Home Costs in Tucson, AZ

The average monthly cost of nursing home care in Tucson is $6,565 for a semiprivate room and $7,604 for a private room.

The Cost of Nursing Home Care in Nearby Cities

Using the average monthly costs for semiprivate rooms in nursing homes, the city of Tucson costs about $1,000 less than the prices in the average American city. However, the city of Tucson is similar to the state average in Arizona of $6,844.

Nursing home care in Phoenix is much more expensive than in Tucson, at $9,247 per month. Additionally, care in Tucson is cheaper than neighboring cities just across Arizona’s borders. In San Diego, CA, seniors pay $10,722 per month for 24/7 medical care, and those in Albuquerque, NM, and Las Vegas, NV, pay a little less at $8,330 and $9,155, respectively.

$6565

Albuquerque, NM

$9155

Las Vegas, NV

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Family members may want to consider other types of senior care if constant medical supervision is not required for their loved one. The cheapest option available in Tucson is adult day health care at $1,842 per month. Assisted living costs an average of $4,075 per month. Home health aide and homemaker services both cost an average of $5,053 per month. The most expensive option is nursing home care at an average cost of $6,565 for a semiprivate room and $7,604 for a private room.

$1842

Home health care

$5053

Home care

$6565

Nursing home (semiprivate room)

$7604

Nursing home (private room)

Financial Assistance for Nursing Home Care in Tucson, AZ

Free Resources for Seniors in Tucson, AZ

There are many resources available to the senior community in Tucson, and some may help seniors stay in their homes for a longer period of time, delaying a costly transition to nursing home care.

ResourceContactService
PCOA(520) 790-7262The Pima Council on Aging provides a number of services to assist seniors in the Tucson area. Some of the services offered include legal assistance, Medicare assistance, caregiver support, health management and a nutrition program. There’s no charge for any of the services provided by the council. Seniors need to be 60 years or older to be eligible for the programs. Some of the programs are specifically for homebound seniors or low-income seniors.
Meals on Wheels(520) 790-7262The PCOA operates the Meals on Wheels program in Tucson. The program delivers one meal a day to homebound seniors who are unable to prepare a meal for themselves and have no assistance at home. There’s no charge for the meals, but a donation is suggested. Those who cannot afford the donation still receive a meal. The meals are delivered hot at noon each day from Monday to Friday by volunteer drivers.
Senior Centers(520) 791-4865The city of Tucson Parks and Recreation Department runs a number of senior centers located throughout the city. There’s no charge for attending the activities or meals at these centers. Free transport can be arranged for those who are unable to drive. Activities offered include fitness classes, arts and crafts, computer classes, educational lectures and field trips. Lunch is served each day for seniors taking part in activities.