Casa Real

Reviews of Casa Real

Nursing Home Reviews for Casa Real

May 10, 2016

By ArtSTHOO

Casa Real was basically a warehouse. I don’t think the people are being neglected there, but they appeared to be parked here and there. It didn’t seem as if there was much activity or quality of life for the residents. We rejected this community immediately. I didn’t see many staff. Nobody assisted me; I just happened to wander in. I took a quick look around and could see that it was not going to be suitable at all. There was nothing special about the dining room. It’s more like dormitory living. They need to spend a great deal of money to update their facility, and I think it looked like their staffing number was quite low. That’s my impression from seeing so many people just parked around.

December 15, 2012

By Pat's Wife

When I first entered Casa Real's facility in Santa Fe, I was favorably impressed by the large lobby and pleasant outdoor courtyard which is surrounded by the wards. But appearances can deceive. My husband was placed at Casa Real, a Medicaid-certified rehab and nursing center, after a stay in a psych. facility due to a bad reaction to an antipsychotic. After he spent two days at Casa, I discovered that the facility's doctor had placed him on the SAME antipsychotic without consulting his doctor. Over the next three weeks, they continually made errors in his medication, neglected him and allowed him to injure himself repeatedly, always telling me that they had no idea how he had gotten a deep gash on his head, bruises that encircled his arm and included fingernail marks, cuts on his forearms and legs, etc. Finally, he apparently fell (again, no one could tell me how) and injured himself badly enough to go back to the hospital, where the attending hospitalist agreed that he should be released to me rather than go back. Besides the neglect and possible abuse, my husband was badly fed and lost 12 pounds in less than three weeks. At night, the nurse for the locked ward, which had 22 beds, was also nurse for another ward with 40 beds. The patient to nurse ratio was thus 62 to 1, and that nurse had to give medications to all patients. I will say that the physical, occupational and speech therapy that my husband received was quite good. Casa Real has been investigated by the New Mexico Department of Health and has, once again, changed ownership. It is one of only two (the other also owned by the same corporation) in Santa Fe that accept Medicaid. If you can afford private pay, avoid this place like the plague!

November 19, 2012

By Not for Profit Senior Care Advocate

My mother is a pianist, painter and water colorist, and writer. She is bored with the facility, but she had some complaints at the other one as well. My mother is very sensitve and shy, so living amongst people, and having people take care of her needs has been a difficult adjustment. My take on all this is that when you have for profit facilities, you pay the help so little, and the turn-over rate is high. My Mom gets used to someone, and then they are gone. Also, the facility pays for one full-time nurse for the entire place full of hundreds of patients. When I came one day and insisted on my Mom going to the hospital since she seemed so lethargic, it was good because she was very sick. The staff puts the patients in the wheel chairs and they sit in the halls all day. It is very sad, but unless we have not for profit places, this is how it is. Also, the staff seem to care, but often my mothers closet does not have her own clothes. The place could be good if you got candy stripers, and a huge base of volunteers, with a robust activity program for the immobil people. Seems like a boring place to live in. I hate to be critical, but the high-class place she was in, when she was more mobil had far more activities for her, and the food was much better. Also, she is in a desert, and I don't see the seniors having water bottles around them all day. It is easy to get dehydrated. My mom has gone down in this place. My sister says it is just her age, but we put her there thinking she would get physical therapy, but that is not a robust program, as the physical therapist is not full-time either. Thanks for listening.

Services and Amenities of Casa Real

• Overall:
  • Date Certified: 10/01/2020

About Casa Real

Casa Real is a senior living provider in Santa Fe, New Mexico that offers residents Nursing Homes. Contact Casa Real for more details on services and rates.

Map of Casa Real