CareOne at Madison Avenue

Reviews of CareOne at Madison Avenue

Nursing Home Reviews for CareOne at Madison Avenue

March 19, 2019

By Scottie P.

My mother has COPD and was hospitalized at Morristown Medical Center for an exacerbation of her illness. After she was discharged from the hospital we chose to take her home. After three weeks at home we knew something was wrong and I reached out to a transition of care counselor I had met at the hospital. She arranged for Mom to go to Care One on a Friday afternoon. Someone from Care One called me to inquire about Mom's medication list and what she would need while there. I was nervous but hopeful. Unfortunately I should have trusted my instincts. From the moment Mom was admitted things began to go wrong. They did not have her proper meds (thank goodness I had brought ours from home). I had to continuously be there to be sure Mom was being cared for since the ratio of caregivers to patients was 2 nurses to 30 patients. Yes. You read that right. I was told this by the nurses themselves when I asked. The straw that broke the camels back and nearly killed my mother was when an untrained nurse placed my Mom on a bipap machine. I did not know at the time that only a trained respiratory therapist should do this. Within minutes Mom thrashed and kicked since she was getting no oxygen. I told the nurses to call 911 and they said no. They wanted to call the doctor instead. I called 911 and was told by the paramedics she might not survive. It was the most harrowing night of my life. If someone ever suggests you place your loved one at Care One in Morristown PLEASE JUST SAY NO! I was later told by the doctors at the hospital that they refer to this facility as "Care None". Enough said.

February 07, 2019

By Carla P

The rehab program here is very good. The therapists are kind to the residents, but do push them to do their rehab. They help them with real life simulations to help them transition back to life post rehab. The facility is clean. There are activities for the residents. Food seemed to be good. The rooms are doubles, but are pretty large and set up to give each resident some privacy. The dining room offers breakfast and lunch only. There are plans to offer dinner soon.

October 12, 2017

By Dad deserved better

I would not recommend this place. My father had a leaking catheter and their solution was to place a towel under it. My father would get an infection which would lead to another infection that killed him a week or two later. No doctors are on the premises during weekends or holidays. I asked for a doctor Friday afternoon and was told that I would have to wait until Monday for a doctor to see my father. My father died Sunday evening. When I called Wednesday morning to retrieve my Father’s possessions they could not be found. I was told that they would call back to let me know where they were. They never called me back. I called two additional times was told they would call me back...they never called back.....classy joint. Although there are some sweet nurses who do their job regretswell there are some who do not. When discussing issues with the doctor in charge her objective was to tell me about Care One’s policies and not to try and address problems my father was experiencing...I could go on but suffice it to say that there are hygiene and medical care issues that will put your loved one at risk hererwelfare of the patient is not Care One’s top priority by a long shot. Also be aware that a ‘Social Worker’ works for the facility and not the caregiver and patients...their priorities are to protect the facility first not the patient. I deeply regret allowing my father going to Care One. I am sure there are worse places but there can not be very rcktblues@gmail.commany of trckthem....there are some sweet hard working nurses but not all of them. I hope you never have to allow a loved one to stay at Care One.

September 10, 2017

By Vincent

My mother is in a subacute rehab facility at Care One At Madison Avenue. We toured a few of the nursing homes, but this one seemed to be the best and the location was good. That's why we chose it. The feel and the look are excellent. So far, the staff has been good. Medicare is paying for it. The dining area is not completed yet, but it will be soon. My mother has been eating in her room and the food seems to be OK. It's pureed because she is having trouble swallowing. There are activities, but she hasn't taken part in any of them yet. They have people come in and do little musical performances, there are also church services, massages, manicures, trivia, arts and crafts, and spelling bees.

September 05, 2017

By Jackie Braun

We cant thank Care One and Staff enough for the love and care they gave our Mother - nurses, aids, food service, rehab , custodial, front desk and managers, all became part of our family. Our Mom was treated with dignity and respect - the facility itself is clean, spacious and has ongoing activities.

August 24, 2017

By Casano, M.

When I first came here, I felt lonely and unhappy. I didn’t think I deserved to be here. The nurses are almost like family to me. I wouldn’t know what to do without them. I feel like I have a new family. They all greet me in the morning and night and make sure I’m doing okay. I can’t say one is better than the other. All of the nurses who took care of me I love. On a Friday night, I go to Bingo and try to make everyone laugh. To me, right now, it’s starting to feel like home. The maintenance staff I have to say is very responsive.. I wouldn’t change to go to another place. Everyone is really wonderful. I really mean it from the bottom of my heart

August 14, 2017

By Danuta

I spent two weeks here coming from a hospital. I felt like a vegetable at first, but now I feel stronger.It’s nice here. I went to the Christmas in Jul activity and enjoyed it. Everybody was nice to me. Anton, Narajee, and Amanda from physical therapy helped me walk better and be stronger physically. Not only physically, but mentally I feel better. The nurses or the aides respond to my call bell as soon as I press it. I would recommend this place to a friend.

August 14, 2017

By L.T.

It’s been two weeks since I’ve been here. I like this place because it’s nice and clean. The people are very nice and helpful. Therapy is very good and they work with me a lot. I feel that I’m getting better, but I am not where I want to be yet and I know I’ll get there soon. The food is delicious, I really love the fish and the shrimp. During the day I like to watch people go back and forth in the hallways and I love talking to other residents if they have time. The evening is quiet and I can sleep easily. My goal is to begin walking again before I go home

August 11, 2017

By E. Ould

love the nursing staff. Even the aides, can't do enough for you. They go out of their way to be comfortable and get what you need. There's not a bad one in the bunch. Mimose was my nurse, she's very caring and very concern of my well-being. On a personal level, she's very involved.. like she's family. She was the first person I recognized when I came back here. - Eileen Ould

July 17, 2017

By Strong Woman

The nurses at Care One at Madison Avenue were very kind and very good. The aides were a bit lazy. I would give them a 1-star rating because my friend had a horrible bed sore. I didn’t think he was rehabilitated very well. The staff was very pleasant and very nice. It was a very pretty place. It was an old house, but very clean. They had a rehab room, a library room, and an activities room.

March 14, 2017

By Tina F

AVOID!! Except for a very few employees, the staff here is horrible! The place is understaffed, management cares more about window dressing than the care that is provided. Staff does not give medication as prescribed by PCP. The only doctors "on staff" - they only come a couple of times a week - are geriatric doctors. So if you are here for rehab and not a senior, be aware!! If you need a refrigerator in room, they will not provide one, despite my veins told that they gave more in the basement than they know what to do with. If patient needs a bed pan, aide might take 45 minutes to bring one. Don't expect aides to clean and wash bed ridden patients either. The food that is served us inedible 90% of the time. It usually arrives cold, no condiments, no butter., sometimes burnt. First time I went to visit, receptionist sent me to wrong room. They don't separate Alzheimer's patients from rehab patients. Patients roam the halls unsupervised, and frequently go into the wrong room, sometimes 3 times a day. Aides care more about their breaks than comfort and safety of patients. Nebulizer mask was left on patient for 90 minutes! Should be done in 15. Insufficient visitor parking. Staff takes up half the visitor parking facility is remodeling rehab center, but most of the wheelchairs are busted up. I'm sure the patients would rather have wheelchairs that don't have chunks missing from the wheels. Don't let facility wash anything. You will not get your belongings back. The third floor Nourishment Room, is filthy and disgusting and coffee maker is broken. The bathroom in patients room is dirty and disgusting. There's all kinds of stains and dirt in and around shower floor. Top of shower is caked with dirt and dust. Complaining doesn't help, because they don't care.

November 28, 2016

By Happy Out

After mom had a hip replacement surgery go horribly wrong, she ended up in rehab for 2 months recovering from a broken femur. Facility has wonderful management that care, place is clean (which was miles ahead of two other facilities we looked at before choosing this Care One in Morristown) and overall very pleased! You get what you put into it, it's not a hotel to just dump a loved one which unfortunately I saw with so many lonely residents. Thank you to all the management and staff who were there for daily and weekly questions whenever we had them and for looking after our aging family member - well done

August 21, 2016

By kqduane

The nursing staff is inept, incompetent, irresponsible and uncaring. The aides are unkind, rude, unresponsive and surly. If your family member needs medication on a regular basis, avoid this place like the plague. They can't handle it. If your family member primarily needs physical, occupational or speech therapy, this is a good facility.

August 07, 2016

By donnajean771

My mother in law was here for rehab and they did a fantastic job. My advice is if you have any concerns, TELL THEM! They will address it right away and then go above and beyond to make sure it does not happen again. The administrator genuinely cares and you can see that in how she is interacting with the residents/ families daily. The head nurse on my moms floor, Terry, was so kind and loving. Mom especially loved the nurse Donald. The building itself is stunning and has a very homey feeling. The social service department was very informative about discharge options and gave us enough notice to make sure everything was set for her to come home.

May 08, 2015

By Careoneinput

I kept a 5 week journal while in rehab in Care One in Morristown, NJ. This is the worst facility to ever be in or have a loved one in. When I couldn’t get out of bed myself I waited 35 minutes for help and no one came. Finally a nurse was making her rounds and I yelled to her to get me help to go to the bathroom. The meals are very unhealthy. The facility is filthy. There was constant standing water backed up in the stall showers. Never knew we were supposed to get daily snacks because they were left at the Nurse’s station and not distributed. Nasty staff, who responded to calls for help when they felt like it or weren’t on their cell phones.

October 19, 2013

By DO NOT USE THIS FACILITY

Other

My mom had to use this place to recuperate from heart attack issues and has been in the "new" cardiac care unit since early September 2013. She is mentally sharp as a tack but not physically healthy. The social worker she was assigned to (Nancy?) told me that someone working with my mother in physical therapy wanted to talk to me about what was needed for when my mom came home for "an afternoon" so I walked with a physical therapist, Christina, to PT about a half hour after our conversation. No one in that department knew anything about this conversation. Then the social worked lied to the therapists that I "was not interested" in family therapy - it was never discussed with me so I couldn't be interested or disinterested. Then I got a call from Debbie in therapy about this and she isn't the warmest, fuzziest person on Care One's staff and she wanted to let me know that participating in family therapy is highly recommended, which I would have done if I had been aware of this opportunity. An aide, at 7 p.m., hung up the phone while my mother was talking to her son so he could get her ready for bed - at 7 p.m. When she protested he told her to "call them back, I have to get you ready for bed". Sulil (sp?) who I'm told is the head of the physical therapy department all but said out loud that I'm a liar because I told him about a message left on my voice mail, he was insistent that "they never say that". In the span of appro 2 minutes he insisted that I was wrong. I can say without any hesitation that he has no access to my cell phone voice mail and he just had to have his way and be right. On Friday perky Nancy the social worker left me a message that my mom is being discharged on Monday by 11 a.m. There was no conversation with me just she has to leave. As it isn't possible for me or my son to pick her up at 11 due to work schedules I asked my mom to have everything ready on Sunday and to discuss this with everyone at Care One. Well, because all their paperwork is complete, they are telling me that I can't take my mom home on Sunday. Another snotty person at the nurses station told me I should get a transport bus - at the cost of at least $100. The doctor that has been looking at my mom saw her Friday evening and told her she could stay until 3:30 on Monday so he could be convenienced and write up her prescriptions on Monday. WHAT?!? he was right there, why didn't he write them at that time? On the flip side Margaret, Jeff, Amanda and another aide whose name I don't remember are wonderful. One star because of these 4 outstanding caregivers

November 28, 2012

By Unsatisfied Housemate

Care One is horrible and disgusting. I couldn't get down the hallway on wheelchair without smelling all the urine. The bathrooms are dirty. I had nurses notified, but nothing was done about it. The meals were absolutely freezing cold and never warm. If you put the light on for a pain medication, they're always late. It could take them over an hour to get you the pain medication. And I am in chronic, horrible pain due to severe neuropathy in both legs.

June 27, 2012

By surveyguy2000

The building itself is beautiful, it was converted from an old mansion and they kept the same fancy look. The staff are well trained and very nice. Everyone knows my relative there, and they do their best to accommodate her. Though there are times when the facility is understaffed, and there have been some staff let go from time to time. So obviously that's when the quality of care dips a bit. But overall the care is great.My relative has gotten used to living there, and feels that she gets good care. Whenever my family goes to see her, the staff is always polite, and makes sure that she is ready for the day.

December 15, 2011

By Rehab patient O.S.

I am so happy to be here. The staff is wonderful. The activities are great. The Christmas shows I enjoyed and bingo I love. All are thoughtful and polite. I've been other rehab and I find this one to be the best. Sincerely, O.S.

Photos of CareOne at Madison Avenue

Services and Amenities of CareOne at Madison Avenue

• Housing Extra: Private & Shared Rooms

• Overall:
  • Date Certified: 10/01/2020

• Minimum Age: None
  • Pets: No Pets Allowed

About CareOne at Madison Avenue

Let CareOne help you take the worry out of long-term care. Our knowledgeable specialists can help you and your family navigate all of the care options available. Plus, you and your loved one will be assured of a comfortable, seamless transition to the long-term care environment.

Most important, our staff includes experienced registered nurses, certified nursing assistants, nursing directors and managers who not only provide outstanding care but also treat each resident like a member of their own family.

Our long-term care team includes:

• 24-hour-a-day registered nurses
  • Activity and recreation staff
  • Certified nursing assistants
  • Licensed nutritionists
  • Social services
  • Spiritual support services
  • On-site physician services including internal medicine, podiatry, ophthalmology and dental care

Map of CareOne at Madison Avenue