With over 1.3 million residents, Dallas is among the most populous cities in Texas. Of its residents, about one in 10 are aged 65 or over and are more vulnerable to developing Alzheimer’s, a disease that’s the sixth-leading cause of death statewide. Data from the CDC indicates that Dallas follows this trend, with the organization showing that the number of Alzheimer’s-related deaths increased by 47% between 2014 and 2018. By comparison, in that time period, the total death rate increased by less than 9%.

For Dallas residents living with dementia, memory care provides specialized services, around-the-clock monitoring and peace of mind for families. These facilities offer dementia-informed recreational programming, open floor plans that promote independence and compassionate care services from highly trained caregivers. This guide provides an overview of memory care services in Dallas, including how much facilities charge for services, options for paying for care, benefits and drawbacks of living in the region and local agencies and programs for those affected by dementia.

Memory Care Facilities in Dallas, TX

Villages of Lake Highlands

8615 Lullwater Drive, Dallas, TX, 75238

Love this place! I can’t say enough nice things about VOLH. First of all I have peace of mind because my dad is very well taken care of and loved. I could never provide the care he needs on my own. … (read more)

2022

Monticello West

5114 McKinney Avenue, Dallas, TX, 75205

I chose to move my wife to Monticello West because they were within my price point. The deciding fact was when we went to see the facility; my wife came home and said that those ladies were very happy … (read more)

2016

Edgemere

8523 Thackery St, Dallas, TX, 75225

Sunrise of Hillcrest

13001 Hillcrest Road, Dallas, TX, 75240

My mom will be moving into Sunrise of Hillcrest. I like their focus on Alzheimer’s and dementia, and the fact that they had more caregivers or attendants per resident. They seemed like they had a bett … (read more)

Brookdale White Rock

9271 White Rock Trail, Dallas, TX, 75238

Brookdale White Rock was excellent. In fact, if we were going to make a decision, this is what we would have chose. I like the layout of the place. They had a courtyard, and everything was neat and cl … (read more)

2012

Walnut Place

5515 Glen Lakes Dr, Dallas, TX, 75231

I really like Walnut Place. It was actually my first choice, but based on my uncle’s evaluation, they referred me to another facility. I like the value and the space. I like the staff, too. It was a v … (read more)

Ventana by Buckner

8301 N. Central Expy, Dallas, TX, 75225

The Tradition – Lovers Lane

5850 E. Lovers Lane, Dallas, TX, 75206

Brookdale Lake Highlands

9715 Plano Rd, Dallas, TX, 75238

Brookdale Lake Highlands was clean and laid out very nicely. It was one of the smallest facilities that we had looked at, which made it intimate. They had fewer residents there, which is good because … (read more)

Iris Memory Care of Turtle Creek

3611 Dickason Avenue, Dallas, TX, 75219

We have chosen Iris Memory Care for my uncle because they specialize in Alzheimer’s and dementia. They have been attentive to his needs and follow all Covid regulations. He seems to be very happy ther … (read more)

Crystal Creek At Preston Hollow

11409 N Central Expressway, Dallas, TX, 75243

My husband is doing OK at Crystal Creek At Preston Hollow. I’m very pleased with them. From the time we first walked down, everyone has been very friendly and helpful. He says the food is good and tha … (read more)

The Hillcrest House

11240 Hillcrest Rd, Dallas, TX, 75230

Avalon Memory Care – Allencrest

4330 Allencrest Lane, Dallas, TX, 75244

We went to see the Avalon – Allencrest assisted living facility due to its proximity to the metro Dallas area. We are in search of a suitable place for our aunt to live. The grounds had lots of nice … (read more)

Avalon Memory Care – Hughes Circle Dallas

13215 Hughes Circle, Dallas, TX, 75240

We went to visit the Avalon – Hughes Circle assisted living facility since we were looking at possibilities for our aunt. The outside grounds were nicely landscaped and well maintained, with lots of … (read more)

Avalon Memory Care – Royal Circle Dallas

7355 Royal Circle, Dallas, TX, 75230

The Avalon – Royal Circle assisted living facility was a place we visited while on a quest to find a suitable new place for our aunt. It resembled a large ranch style home. The outside was well kept … (read more)

Avalon Memory Care – Glendora Dallas

7315 Glendora Ave., Dallas, TX, 75230

My husband has been a resident in Glendora for a year. For a few months his care was good — although he developed pressure wounds and required outside nursing care to heal these. Currently, staffin … (read more)

Avalon Memory Care – Canongate

7212 Canongate Dr., Dallas, TX, 75248

COVID-19 Rules for Memory Care in Dallas

Since most COVID-19 rules for Memory Care Communities and other Senior Living Facilities are set at the state level, you can view the specific rules for your state on our Guide to Memory Care in Texas. Keep in mind that every community has specific policies that they put in place to protect their residents, so you should contact your local community for more information. Additionally, you can contact your local Area Agency on Aging to learn more – find contact information here.

What to Consider About Memory Care in Dallas

In Dallas, as well as in the rest of Texas, memory care facilities are officially licensed as Type B assisted living facilities, and they’re governed by the Texas Department of Health and Human Services. This department provides information on residents’ rights, performs regular and unannounced inspections and conducts background checks on prospective employees to ensure a high standard of care.

Simplify Your Alzheimer’s Care Management with PicnicHealth

PicnicHealth organizes all of your doctors’ notes, lab results, and other medical information in one centralized online platform at no cost to you.

Benefits and Drawbacks of Memory Care in Dallas

• Dallas has an overall cost of living that’s slightly higher than the national median and 7% higher than the state rate, which may be a consideration for those with limited budgets. Housing and local transportation-related costs are high, but seniors may minimize these expenses by transitioning to residential care.
  • Crime is prevalent in Dallas compared to the typical U.S. city, which may make memory care a preferred alternative to living alone. On a 100-point crime index, the city scores 37 for violent crime and 50.7 for property crime, compared to national ratings of 22.7 and 35.4, respectively.
  • Dallas is one of the warmest cities in Texas with summer high temperatures in the mid-90s and winter highs in the mid-50s, and humidity levels are high during the warm months. The city gets very little snow and about 39 inches of rain, and the sun shines 234 days per year on average, compared to 205 nationally. To keep residents comfortable throughout the year, memory care facilities in Dallas have inside activities and individual climate control in residents’ rooms.
  • Health care costs in Dallas are about 5% cheaper than the national average, which may leave more money in the budget for long-term care services. The city is home to UT Southwestern Medical Center, which is nationally ranked in nine specialties, including geriatrics.
  • Texas doesn’t have a state income tax, which may enable seniors and families in Dallas to put more money toward memory care expenses.
  • Dallas is a member of the AARP Age-Friendly Network, meaning that its officials have dedicated resources to making the city a comfortable place for all residents. The city has a livability index score of 55 for factors, such as safe public transportation options, civic involvement and access to health care.

Paying for Memory Care in Dallas

In Dallas, seniors obtain residential dementia services in assisted living facilities that meet additional licensing requirements. On average, this specialized care costs 20-30% more than standard assisted living. No authoritative data is available for memory care costs in the United States, so the following estimates are calculated by increasing assisted living rates in the Genworth 2021 Cost of Care Survey by 25%.

The Cost of Memory Care in Nearby Cities

Memory care is moderately priced in Dallas at $5,244 per month, which is a little higher than the state median of $4,998 but several hundred dollars less than the national rate of $5,625. In Houston, rates are a little higher at $5,306, and in the Austin area, residential dementia services are among the most expensive in the state at $6,681. Those seeking more affordable accommodations may consider facilities in Tyler or Texarkana, where respective care costs come in at $4,829 and $3,463.

$5244

Austin Area

$4829

Tyler

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Dallas seniors have several residential and in-home care options available, depending on their needs, lifestyle preferences and budgets. Memory care is moderately priced at $5,244. Seniors who need residential care but don’t have memory impairments may be good candidates for assisted living, which costs $4,195. Basic homemaker services and specialized home health aide services provide a comparable scope of care for those who want to live in their own homes for $4,862 monthly. Adult day health care provides services in a daytime community setting for $1,517. Nursing homes are for those with more complex care needs and cost $5,627 for shared accommodations and $8,460 for private rooms.

$5244

Nursing Home (semiprivate)

$8460

Nursing Home (private)

Financial Assistance for Memory Care in Dallas

In Dallas, there are options for seniors who need financial assistance paying for Memory Care. For more information about other options, who qualifies, and how to apply, Memory Care in Texas page.

More ways to pay for memory care in TX

More Ways to Pay for Memory Care

While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for memory care, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance memory care costs include:

• Veterans Benefits
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Long-Term Care Insurance
  • Reverse Mortgage

For more information about different ways to finance memory care, visit our Memory Care in Texas page.

Free Memory Care Resources in Dallas

In Dallas, there is a range of nonprofit agencies and programs that support seniors and families affected by dementia. Through these agencies, individuals can connect with options counselors, legal and financial advisors and support groups throughout the region. The following resources also include programs to help individuals find ways to pay for residential dementia services.

Resource

Contact

Description

The Dallas Area Agency on Aging has information and referral specialists who can help older adults and families in the Dallas region connect with local dementia services, including support groups, informational workshops and early-stage engagement activities. The agency also has health insurance options counselors who help Medicare beneficiaries understand their health care benefits and determine eligibility for cost-saving programs, such as prescription drug assistance, Medicare Savings Programs and Medicaid.

The Dallas and Northeast chapter of the Alzheimer’s Association has a toll-free helpline older adults and families can call to speak with field experts regarding care planning and resources in the community. The chapter also hosts fundraising efforts and networking opportunities throughout the year, along with in-person and virtual support groups and early-stage engagement activities.

Alzheimer’s Texas is a statewide nonprofit organization that has a range of services for the community, including a 24/7 helpline, care consultation, support groups and early-stage services. The organization also hosts classes, conferences and memory screenings throughout the year.

AWARE

AWARE is a local nonprofit organization dedicated to increasing awareness of research opportunities, programs and projects for those with dementia. Events are available to members and nonmembers and include meetings that cover topics, such as what to eat to prevent dementia and new advancements in Alzheimer's research.

The Dallas County Veterans Services Office helps qualifying veterans in the region obtain state and federal benefits, including those that may help cover memory services. Through this office, older veterans and families can learn more about community-based services and determine eligibility for veterans’ and survivors’ pensions, Aid and Attendance and veterans’ home placement. The office can also file and follow up on benefits applications and help resolve issues, such as overpayment or denied claims.

Memory Care Laws and Regulations in Dallas

Dallas Memory Care Communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all Memory Care Facilities in Texas are required to follow. Visit our Memory Care in Texas page for more information about these laws.

Laws and Regulations for memory care in Texas