Brookdale Des Plaines

Reviews of Brookdale Des Plaines

Assisted Living Reviews for Brookdale Des Plaines

June 04, 2021

By KB

Brookdale Des Plaines was nice and people seemed friendly enough. It was a pretty decent place; the community director does activities for them fairly frequently. They're shut down during COVID, but they're doing bingo, word searches, and arts and crafts. The staff was nice, but as with most places, they could probably use a couple more hands because they don't have enough aides per floor. They're understaffed. The food is fine, it's fairly decent food, it wasn't overly-seasoned and they have a lot of residents who have to watch their salt and sugar intake. I'll say it's pretty good. They have an activities director, they can have someone help you to your doctors' appointment or have the doctor visit you, they have a pool, onsite physical therapy, a downstairs café, a salon that's just reopened partially.

May 18, 2021

By Peggi

My mother is moving into Brookdale Des Plaines. The staff are terrific. Christina is the individual I worked with, and she has been fabulous. We had some unusual circumstances, and she tried to be very, very helpful getting the right answers. I give her a very strong rating. The place is very clean and updated. We were pleased with it. The dining room was closed due to Covid. They have been so accommodating. I would like something closer, but it has what we want for my mom, which includes the pool. It is a little bit farther than where we wanted to go, and it is not a catholic facility.

April 20, 2021

By Norman01

My mother was one of the most stubborn people I knew. When she was informed by her doctor in 2015 that she would need to be in assisted living she adamantly refused because she was very much attached to her home, so much so that I had to get legal guardianship. My mother also did not like to admit to me that she was wrong about something. However within 2 weeks she was bragging about all the “wonderful” people of the Brookdale. The nursing staff are totally dedicated Professionals committed to the care of the residents. The attendants are expert in compassion and caring. Even the laundry, housekeeping, and dining staff have people that go beyond the call of duty. The management staff is always available. Brookdale has my highest recommendation. Brookdale has my contact information if you would like to speak to me.

December 15, 2020

By Miss Susan

My mother has been at Brookdale Des Plaines for years. She broke her hip and came back to Assisted Living at Brookdale Des Plaines. The staff has been incredible. They have been kind caring and compassionate. Throughout Covid they have never skipped a beat and have continued to give her excellent care in addition to being so careful of the Covid guidelines. She feels very safe and cared for and at home. They have gone out of their way to keep her engaged and truly have her best interests at heart. She has plenty of space and likes her choice of food. The staff is always available for questions or concerns I have. The programs and activities they have come up with during Covid restrictions have been appreciated. She is very happy and safe there. I could not ask for anything more.

March 29, 2019

By Donna

Brookdale Des Plaines appears to be very good. It's fine working with the staff, and initially when my mother moved in everyone was very helpful with her transition. They have a variety of different rooms. They have studios, my mother has a one-bedroom apartment with a kitchen, a living area, her bedroom, and good closet space. She also has a storage locker down the hall. They went on an outside outing yesterday, and also have bingo, movies, games, church services and a swimming pool. It's pretty well-rounded. The staff members I encountered were very nice. The food isn't home-cooking but there's variety. There is good security in this community, and I think that's important.

May 22, 2018

By Tammy

I liked Brookdale Des Plaines very much. The person who showed me around was very thorough. It met all of what my mother-in-law would need. They seemed flexible as far as what she would need. It just seemed like a really good facility. They don't have memory care. They just have the assisted living portion and independent living. If their residents get to the point of where they're near end-of-life, they bring in hospice. They don't have to transfer out. The train stops right in front of Brookdale. They have shuttles that go to various community activities or events like plays, shopping trips, and church services, and they have in-house activities. The day I was there, they were having an Easter event. They have pet visits and some residents have small dogs. They have a salon and they have people that play card games. There's an art studio and outdoor gardening in the summertime.

February 15, 2016

By William119067550

Brookdale Des Plaines was a beautiful, wonderful facility, and we were both impressed. It had a nice dining room and lobby when you walk in. Everything looked brand new and well maintained. We liked the people, and it had a good location in the center of Desplains. The rooms were fine, but it felt a little uncomfortable because it was a large facility. The building was so big, and the halls were very long. The price seemed reasonable and within budget.

October 27, 2015

By Caring Son12

My mother-in-law lives in Brookdale Des Plaines. It is very nice, and they have good food. She got a nice studio apartment. They do bingo, card games, pool, and pinochle, and they have trips to different things around the city. She's happy with the place.

August 21, 2015

By Tiffany13

We had a very nice tour at Brookdale Des Plaines. It was complete, and they answered my questions. They were very helpful. I visited different rooms, and they were very nice. It was neat and clean. They were nicer compared to where my parents are staying right now, but it also costs a lot.

May 04, 2015

Brookdale Des Plaines might be fine for some people, but it was not a fit for my mom. The staff was very nice. Everybody was very nice and accommodating. I just think it was not for my mom. It is basically the setup and because it is too big for my mom. For me, it is more of a nursing home setting.

Thank you for taking the time to visit and share your feedback. We are sorry to hear the community was not a good fit for your mother. We do have several other communities in the area that may better fit your mother's needs, and hope you will call us at 855-444-7658 to learn more our community options.

January 15, 2015

Brookdale Des Plaines was a warm and friendly environment. I was so impressed with the people there. It was just great. In fact, I went there mid-October, and they invited me back for their Halloween party. I was impressed with the director because he was very much a part of the scene. He dressed up and interacted so nicely with the residents, and I got to see how they behaved. I was there in the early afternoon, and they would eat in the evening, but the staff actually made a special meal for me so I could see the kind of food they had, which again impressed me very much. I was also there for the afternoon program that the Activities Director was doing, and it was just wonderful. It was one from Grimms' Fairytales, and she talked like she was talking to adults. I got an extensive tour of the place. They have physical therapy, a swimming pool, an equipment room, and a physical therapist on the staff. One thing though was their studios were very small.

December 13, 2014

I like Brookdale Des Plaines because it has a swimming pool right in the building. I am not a swimmer, but I have a lot of arthritis, and that would be a good way to do aerobics. They've got nice sized apartments -- the kind that I would be looking for -- and they are clean. The staff is friendly. They have good meals. They don't have any smelly people when you walk in the door. Their interior is beautiful.

Independent Living Reviews for Brookdale Des Plaines

January 10, 2021

By Angie Meletsis

Hello: I am a daughter of a resident at Brookdale in DesPlaines IL. My mother has been there for 6 years. I thought it was important for me to let people know who are looking for a place for there loved one, my experience at Brookdale. Even before she moved in the staff did everything they could to find an apartment that would be perfect for her. They have always been very accommodating and helpful no matter what. Covid has been very hard for everyone but the staff that bring her food is very sweet and very helpful she enjoys the food and loves the friends she has made there. They always have had several activities to keep the residents active and happy. All in all I feel that she is in the right place and we are very content with our decision.

June 18, 2019

By Judith

The people at Brookdale Des Plaines were very nice. The young woman who gave me the tour introduced me to a few of the residents who had nothing but praise for the facility. These people had lived there for several years, and they were happy. They showed me a recently remodeled room and it was nicely done, decorated fine, simple, but nothing too elaborate. The bathroom facilities were very nice with a step-in tub and safety features. They have good security, but they didn't have much in the way of outside free land. They had a list up of what activities were happening that day. They have a bus service. They didn't have much in the way of outside parking. You have to use their garage service, which is an extra charge. The rates in general were a little higher, but it was a beautiful building inside.

July 06, 2018

By ASCNME502

Brookdale Des Plaines was an older building. It didn't have a lot of street appeal and the parking situation wasn't the greatest, but the staff was very friendly, committed, and wonderful. Even the people that you pass in the hallway would say hello and smile. It was a very nice place and they keep it up. The carpet was newly replaced. Everything was in good condition. The apartments were very nice and kept up with modern conveniences. You just walk around the corner and there's the train.

February 13, 2018

By Patricia

I liked everything about Brookdale Des Plaines. They had a pool and a variety of trips to everything within range. The person who toured me was very nice and answered all of my questions. The building was newer and smaller.

May 09, 2017

By Don862245

I was impressed with Brookdale Des Plaines. Mother and I liked it very much. Out of the ones I visited, Brookdale is the nicest. The price is good. I was impressed with the staff and the cleanliness of the place.

March 06, 2017

By Susan V.

I moved into Brookdale Des Plaines at the end of February. It is nice and clean, and they have lots of activities. They have a swimming pool, and there is aerobics which I attend. I haven’t met anybody of my age; there are a lot of older people so I am still getting used to it. The staff is very helpful. I had a few problems over here with the lock and the shower, but they were very quick to respond; they fixed it the next day. The staff in the dining room is very helpful, and they help me with the food. They are very nice people. It is like an apartment, it is a 1-bedroom, so I have a bedroom and a living space. There is a small kitchen big enough for 1 person and a nice refrigerator which doesn’t work; that is another complaint.

March 26, 2016

By Janet122286650

We choose Brookdale Des Plaines because the staff is very attentive and most of the residents that we talked to have been there for a long time. We noticed that their spontaneous response was always positive. Unsolicited, they always say they really enjoy living there. They rooms are nicely laid out, very clean, and neatly decorated. The food is very good. The dining room is set up restaurant-style with a salad bar, but the residents are served. There is a choice of three different entrees that are all very good. My mom is still kind of new there, but there are lots of activities, like arts and crafts, movies, flower arranging, and religious services. It's close to our house. We're lucky to have found a good one.

October 24, 2015

By Martin17

Brookdale is very nice, this would have been ideal for me, but it’s more expensive, and so I ruled it out. They charge extra for parking and some services. They have a shuttle bus for appointments outside.

May 24, 2015

By Carol106943650

The staff was great at Brookdale Des Plaines. They have everything that you could possibly think of.

April 27, 2015

By VVials74

Great facility, lots of programs, and great food! Planning soon!

Costs for Brookdale Des Plaines

• Low Fat
  • Low Salt

• Pets: Yes

About Brookdale Des Plaines

Brookdale Des Plaines provides a full range of choices for today's seniors. Choosing a senior living community represents a lifestyle choice and we understand that our residents are choosing much more than a comfortable living environment to call home. Our Brookdale community delivers Inspired Independent Living, with the promise of Exceptional Experiences Everyday. In choosing this community, our residents have made a conscious lifestyle decision designed to deliver enhanced opportunities for pursuing health and life fulfillment through the exceptional services, amenities and opportunities we offer. And, our residents can rest assured that as their needs change we provide a variety of ancillary services and a Personalized Assisted Living environment that encourages our residents to continue to live as they please while respecting individual preferences.

Map of Brookdale Des Plaines