13 Assisted Living Facilities near Lake Mills, WI
Also serving communities of Waterloo.
There are 13 Assisted Living Facilities in the Lake Mills area, with 2 in Lake Mills and 11 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Lake Mills is $3,975 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,400. Cheaper nearby regions include Cambridge with an average starting cost of $3,067.
To help you with your search, browse the 18 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Lake Mills. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Lake Mills 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Jefferson with an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Lake Mills, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Lake Mills, WI
11 Assisted Living Facilities near Lake Mills, WI
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Lake Mills
Located on the scenic eastern shores of Rock Lake in Southern Wisconsin, the small and quiet city of Lake Mills is home to more than 800 residents aged 65 and over. With two assisted living facilities located within the city limits and an additional 12 nearby, seniors with special needs in the area have several choices for accommodations.
Assisted living facilities in Wisconsin are divided into three categories other than adult day care, including community-based residential facilities (CBRFs), residential care apartment complexes (RCACs) and adult family homes. These are licensed and regulated by the Wisconsin Department of Health Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Lake Mills
- Lake Mills is a tranquil community with low rates of violent crime and property crime. The violent crime rate is 13.6 points below the national average and 10.3 points below the Wisconsin average. Seniors here should feel safe in their assisted living facilities and while out in the city.
- Despite having relatively harsh winters with low temperatures falling to 11 degrees on average in January, summers in Lake Mills are comfortable. This gives active seniors in town several months throughout the year to enjoy spots like Bartel's Beach or Korth Park.
- Ozone levels have fallen dramatically in Jefferson County, where Lake Mills is located, over the past 20 years, but the area still gets a C for ozone pollution from the American Lung Association. When seniors are planning to go outside, they may want to check the daily air quality first.
- The cost of living in Lake Mills is similar to many areas throughout the country, just 1% above the average for the United States. It's also just 3.2% above the average for the state of Wisconsin, so seniors and families shouldn't have too much trouble affording the area.
- Paying for assisted living in Lake Mills may be a bit easier with Wisconsin's somewhat friendly tax policies for seniors. Social Security income isn't taxed at the state level, but income from retirement accounts is.
- Lake Mills has few facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Madison.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Lake Mills
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Wisconsin
Assisted Living costs in Lake Mills start around $3,975 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Lake Mills and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Lake Mills
The Wisconsin Supplemental Security Income (SSI) Exceptional Expense Supplement program provides a monthly subsidy for seniors who need 40 or more hours a week of supportive services inside an assisted living facility. Jefferson County, where Lake Mills is located, also offers the Family Care program through Medicaid.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Wisconsin page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Wisconsin page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Lake Mills
Lake Mills and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Lake Mills, please visit our Assisted Living in Wisconsin page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Lake Mills
Lake Mills-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Wisconsin are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Wisconsin page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Lake Mills, WI
Other Options in Lake Mills, WI
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Lake Mills
Review of Brook Gardens Place
I thought Brook Gardens was really nice, and I was really impressed. When you walk in the door, they have a gorgeous dining room. It seemed like they might have a little better care, and I am just ... Read more
Review of Brook Gardens Place
We stopped in at Brook Gardens Assisted Living while in the Wisconsin region visiting assisted living facilities to consider for our uncle. We did not have an appointment, yet the staff was very a... Read more