11 Assisted Living Facilities near Fort Atkinson, WI
There are 11 Assisted Living Facilities in the Fort Atkinson area, with 5 in Fort Atkinson and 6 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Fort Atkinson is $3,586 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,400. Cheaper nearby regions include Whitewater with an average starting cost of $3,265.
To help you with your search, browse the 15 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Fort Atkinson. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Fort Atkinson 4.5 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Cambridge with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Fort Atkinson, call (855) 863-8283.
5 Assisted Living Facilities in Fort Atkinson, WI
6 Assisted Living Facilities near Fort Atkinson, WI
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Fort Atkinson
Fort Atkinson is recognized as a Bird City of Wisconsin for the strides it's taken to attract and sustain birds and other wildlife. The city is home to roughly 12,000 people and has a large senior community that makes up about 17% of the population.
In spite of its modest size, the Fort Atkinson area has a dozen assisted living facilities for local seniors to choose from. There are five assisted living facilities in the city proper and seven more in surrounding cities, including Cambridge, Jefferson and Whitewater. In this city, as in all of Wisconsin, assisted living facilities are categorized as community-based residential facilities, residential care apartment complexes or adult family homes, and they are licensed by the Wisconsin Department of Health Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Fort Atkinson
- Fort Atkinson has moderate ozone pollution levels, which may be a consideration for seniors who have respiratory conditions or cardiovascular disease. The American Lung Association gives Jefferson County a C for ozone pollution and a ranking of 31 out of 228 metropolitan areas for high ozone days.
- Fort Atkinson seniors do not pay state income tax on Social Security benefits or public pensions, but all other types of retirement income are fully taxed at the state level. This may affect how much money can be put toward assisted living services.
- The Fort Atkinson area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Fort Memorial Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Transportation services for seniors in Fort Atkinson is provided by Brown Cab Service, Inc., a local taxi and shared-ride service. This service is available seven days a week, and seniors ride for a reduced fare.
- The cost of living in Fort Atkinson is roughly 10% below the state and national average, which may make the city a viable option for seniors living on fixed incomes. Seniors can expect to spend about 10% less on groceries and 5% less on healthcare here than they would in other cities across the country.
- Over the course of a year, temperatures in Fort Atkinson range between 11 and 83 degrees, and the region receives about 35 inches of rain and 38 inches of snow annually. This city might appeal to seniors who enjoy experiencing distinct seasons.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Fort Atkinson
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Wisconsin
Assisted Living costs in Fort Atkinson start around $3,586 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Fort Atkinson and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Fort Atkinson
Low-income seniors in Fort Atkinson may have assisted living services paid for through Wisconsin's Medicaid Elderly and Physically Disabled waiver program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Wisconsin page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Wisconsin page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Fort Atkinson
Fort Atkinson and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Fort Atkinson, please visit our Assisted Living in Wisconsin page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Fort Atkinson
Fort Atkinson-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Wisconsin are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Wisconsin page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Fort Atkinson
Review of Reena Senior Living
Reena is a beautiful, clean, and a new community with a couple of floors. There's 1- or 2-bedroom efficiency apartments, and it didnt smell anywhere. I saw a couple of clients there and they were ... Read more
Review of Reena Senior Living
Reena Senior Living (formerly Aster Assisted Living of Fort Atkinson) is overall very good. The staff is very accommodating, very friendly, and professional. The apartments are beautiful, spacious,... Read more
Review of Reena Senior Living
I'm staying in Reena, which used to be Aster. It's a very neighborly type of community. The staff has been very friendly and helpful. I have a two-bedroom with my own furnishings. The kitchen inclu... Read more