11 Assisted Living Facilities near Fort Atkinson, WI
There are 11 Assisted Living Facilities in the Fort Atkinson area, with 5 in Fort Atkinson and 6 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Fort Atkinson is $3,586 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,420. Cheaper nearby regions include Whitewater with an average starting cost of $3,265.
To help you with your search, browse the 18 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Fort Atkinson. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Fort Atkinson 4.5 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Jefferson with an average rating of 4.6 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Fort Atkinson, call (855) 863-8283.
5 Assisted Living Facilities in Fort Atkinson, WI
6 Assisted Living Facilities near Fort Atkinson, WI
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Fort Atkinson
Fort Atkinson is located in southern Wisconsin on the Rock River, a tributary of the Mississippi River. Lake Koshkonong is less than 6 miles to the south, giving water-loving seniors a variety of outdoor recreational opportunities in the immediate area. Adults aged 65 and older make up 16.6% of Fort Atkinson’s population of approximately 12,500.
To accommodate senior residents who need help with daily activities, such as shopping, housekeeping and health monitoring, Fort Atkinson provides five assisted living facilities (ALFs), with another seven in nearby cities. In the state, ALFs are known as community-based residential facilities (CBRFs) and residential care apartment complexes (RCACs).
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Fort Atkinson
- Relatively low crime rates in Fort Atkinson may help seniors feel secure. The city’s violent crime score is 8.7 on a 100-point scale, with 1 being low crime. The U.S. average is 22.7. A property crime score of 25.2 in Fort Atkinson is also lower than the national average of 35.4.
- The Fort Atkinson area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Fort Memorial Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Fort Atkinson offers an array of resources for seniors, including the Fort Atkinson Senior Citizens Center, which provides meals, a computer lab, a fitness room and a variety of recreational activities and social events.
- Seniors on tight budgets may find money goes further in Fort Atkinson, where the overall cost of living is about 11% lower than the national average. Seniors pay less for groceries, healthcare and transportation when compared to the U.S. averages.
- Fort Atkinson's low Sperling’s Comfort Index score of 40 out of 100 is primarily due to 35 inches of rain, 38 inches of snow and only 189 sunny days per year on average. Active seniors may find it hard to get outdoors as often as they like.
- The American Lung Association grades Fort Atkinson’s location in Jefferson County a “C” for ozone pollution. This may limit the time those with lung or heart conditions can safely spend outside on high-pollution days.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Fort Atkinson
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Wisconsin
Assisted Living costs in Fort Atkinson start around $3,586 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Fort Atkinson and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Fort Atkinson
Wisconsin’s Medicaid State Plan offers several waivers that may help seniors in Fort Atkinson cover the costs of RCACs and CBRFs. Those already receiving SSI and currently living in a facility may be eligible for a monthly subsidy from the Wisconsin Supplemental Security Income (SSI) Exceptional Expense Supplement (SSI-E) program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Wisconsin page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Wisconsin page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Fort Atkinson
Fort Atkinson and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Fort Atkinson, please visit our Assisted Living in Wisconsin page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Fort Atkinson
Fort Atkinson-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Wisconsin are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Wisconsin page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Fort Atkinson
Review of Reena Senior Living
Reena is a beautiful, clean, and a new community with a couple of floors. There's 1- or 2-bedroom efficiency apartments, and it didnt smell anywhere. I saw a couple of clients there and they were ... Read more
Review of Reena Senior Living
Reena Senior Living (formerly Aster Assisted Living of Fort Atkinson) is overall very good. The staff is very accommodating, very friendly, and professional. The apartments are beautiful, spacious,... Read more
Review of Reena Senior Living
I'm staying in Reena, which used to be Aster. It's a very neighborly type of community. The staff has been very friendly and helpful. I have a two-bedroom with my own furnishings. The kitchen inclu... Read more