3 Assisted Living Facilities in Black River Falls, WI
Also serving communities of Neillsville, Tomah.
The average cost of assisted living in Black River Falls is $3,903 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,395. Cheaper nearby regions include Onalaska with an average starting cost of $3,645.
To help you with your search, browse the 2 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Black River Falls. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Black River Falls 3.5 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Onalaska with an average rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Black River Falls, call (855) 863-8283.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Black River Falls
Black River Falls, located in Wisconsin, is the county seat for Jackson County and the location of the administrative center of the Ho-Chunk Nation. This small community has just over 3,600 residents, nearly 20% of whom are aged 65 and over.
In spite of its small size, Black River Falls is home to three assisted living facilities. In Black River Falls and throughout Wisconsin, the Wisconsin Department of Health Services regulates three different types of assisted living facilities, including community-based residential facilities, residential care apartment complexes and adult family homes.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Black River Falls
- In Wisconsin, retirees do not pay state income tax on income from Social Security or government pensions, but all other types of retirement income are taxed. This may affect their assisted living budget for care received in Black River Falls.
- The Black River Falls area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Black River Memorial Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- The overall cost of living in Black River Falls is about 18% below the national average and 16% below the statewide average, which may make the city a good option for retirees living on a fixed income. Housing is particularly affordable in this city at about 35% below the national average, which may result in relatively affordable room and board in a local assisted living facility.
- While the overall crime rate in Black River Falls is higher than the U.S. average, most of the crime is property-related. On a 100-point scale on which a higher score indicates more crime, the violent crime rate is 11 points lower than the national average at 11.7. The city's property crime rate is 49.6, notably higher than the national average of 35.4. Seniors seeking out local assisted living options may want to find a facility that has security features like alarm systems.
- While summers in Black River Falls are relatively mild with highs in the low-80s, winters can be harsh. Average January lows are around 4 degrees, and the region receives about 40 inches of annual snowfall, which may be a concern for seniors who rely on mobility aids.
- Black River Falls has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Aging and Disabilities Services Unit, an organization that connects local seniors with resources that can help them fund assisted living services.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Black River Falls
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Wisconsin
Assisted Living costs in Black River Falls start around $3,903 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Black River Falls and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Black River Falls
Low-income retirees in Black River Falls may receive financial assistance with services in an assisted living facility through Wisconsin's Medicaid Elderly and Physically Disabled waiver program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Wisconsin page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Wisconsin page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Black River Falls
Black River Falls and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Black River Falls, please visit our Assisted Living in Wisconsin page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Black River Falls
Black River Falls-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Wisconsin are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Wisconsin page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Black River Falls
Review of Atrium Senior Living of Black River Falls
The staff and the facilities were very good from what I could tell, I would be happy to live in this facility if I ever need. I probably only visited only about once a month randomly but my grandmo... Read more
Review of Country Terrace of Wisconsin in Black River Falls
We visited the Country Terrace Black River Falls facility in Wis., while researching possible assisted living facilities for our aunt to live in. The outside was very nicely maintained. The ground... Read more