17 Assisted Living Facilities in Virginia Beach City, VA
The average cost of assisted living in Virginia Beach City is $3,401 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,450. Cheaper nearby regions include Hampton City with an average starting cost of $2,569.
To help you with your search, browse the 167 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Virginia Beach City. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Virginia Beach City 4.2 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include York County with an average rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 10 families in Virginia Beach City find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Virginia Beach City, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Virginia Beach City, VA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Virginia Beach City
Settlers first came to the Virginia Beach area in 1607, and today, residents and visitors can still see where this happened at First Landing State Park. More than 14% of the Virginia Beach City's 450,000 population are seniors aged 65 years or older, and to help provide care for this demographic, there are 16 assisted living facilities.
The Virginia Department of Social Services is responsible for regulating assisted living throughout the state. It separates assisted living facilities by the level of care they provide, with residential living care facilities providing less assistance than assisted living care homes.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Virginia Beach City
- Seniors moving to the Virginia Beach area will have plenty of opportunities to get outdoors. Summer highs average in the upper 80s, and the area gets 213 sunny days per year on average, compared to the U.S. average of 205. Winter lows usually don't dip below freezing, which is a plus for seniors with arthritis or other joint conditions.
- The cost of living in Virginia Beach could be an issue for seniors trying to make their retirement income stretch. Health care costs come in about 14% higher than the U.S. average, and groceries and transportation are also higher than both the national and state averages.
- The Virginia Beach City area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Sentara Virginia Beach General Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Virginia Beach is serviced by Hampton Roads Transit, which takes riders to popular destinations within the city, including the beach and shopping districts. Seniors aged 65 or older can qualify for discounted fares.
- According to the numbers, the Virginia Beach area is a relatively safe place to live, with violent crime rates 64% lower than the national average and property crime rates 18% lower. The most common crime by far is theft, so seniors may want to discuss how to keep their possession safe while in assisted living.
- Virginia Beach City seniors will be able to take advantage of the state's $12,000 deduction available for retirement income as well as the low property and sales tax rates. Social Security income is not taxed.
Paying for Assisted Living in Virginia Beach City
Average Monthly Costs
Counties in Virginia
Assisted Living costs in Virginia Beach City start around $3,401 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Virginia Beach City and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Virginia Beach City
Many seniors in Virginia Beach will need help paying for assisted living, and some may be able to take advantage of the state's Auxiliary Grant program. These funds can be applied to room and board as well as personal care and maintenance, and those who receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI) are eligible.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Virginia Beach City
Virginia Beach City and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Virginia Beach City, please visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Virginia Beach City
Virginia Beach City-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Virginia are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Virginia Beach City, VA
Assisted Living near Virginia Beach City, VA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Virginia Beach City
Review of Bay Lake
My Mother- Law moved here from another facility last Dec. and she has been so much happier here. Everyone is so kind and helpful. The home is very clean and very homey and inviting. We all enjoy ou... Read more
Review of Bay Lake
A upscale community that has wonderful food and such friendly staff. Variety of activities and nursing staff available at all times. Was able to get assurance that my loved one was getting the prop... Read more
Review of Bickford of Virginia Beach
Bickford of Virginia Beach was amazing. Their place was beautiful. Heather, who I spoke with, was wonderful and just very passionate. My mom has Alzheimer's so it was nice to know that part of thei... Read more