7 Assisted Living Facilities in Staunton City, VA
The average cost of assisted living in Staunton City is $3,145 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include Rockingham County with an average starting cost of $2,925.
To help you with your search, browse the 35 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Staunton City. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Staunton City 3.9 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Augusta County with an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Staunton City, call (855) 863-8283.
Browse Assisted Living by city: Assisted Living in Staunton
Top 5 Assisted Living Facilities in Staunton City, VA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Staunton City
Staunton City, Virginia, is known for being the birthplace of Woodrow Wilson, the 28th President of the United States. The town is located next to the George Washington and Jefferson National Forest just off Highway 64. People aged 65 years and older make up 20.3% of Staunton City's 24,922 residents.
Seniors can get help with activities of daily living (ADLs) in one of the area's seven assisted living facilities, which are officially called Assisted Living Facilities (ALFs) in Staunton City and the rest of the state. ALFs are licensed by the Virginia Department of Social Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Staunton City
- The Staunton City area is home to world-class medical facilities, including the Augusta Health Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Seniors in Staunton City can take advantage of certain tax breaks. The state of Virginia only partially taxes private and public pension income, and doesn't tax Social Security at all. Withdrawals from retirement accounts are also only partially taxed.
- Seniors on a budget will appreciate that the overall cost of living in Staunton City is 11% lower than the national average. The least expensive spending sector is transportation, which is nearly 30% lower than the average in the rest of the country. Seniors can expect to pay the most for housing, which is exactly on par with the United States average.
- Staunton City crime rates are relatively low. Seniors concerned about safety will appreciate that violent crime is well below the national average with a rating of 13.3 out of 100. Property crime is higher with a score of 34 out of 100.
- Seniors who like sunshine will enjoy 216 days of sunshine Staunton City sees per year, which is 11 more days than the rest of the country sees on average. The town gets a significant amount of rainfall with an average of 41 inches per year, but gets a below-average amount of snow with just 21 inches annually.
- Staunton City has a vibrant arts and culture scene for seniors to enjoy, including the only existing replica of William Shakespeare's Blackfriar Theater.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Staunton City
Average Monthly Costs
Counties in Virginia
Assisted Living costs in Staunton City start around $3,145 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Staunton City and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Staunton City
Virginia does not provide any Medicaid waivers to help seniors afford assisted living services, but eligible Staunton City seniors can receive monthly financial subsidies through the Auxiliary Grant (AG) program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Staunton City
Staunton City and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Staunton City, please visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Staunton City
Staunton City-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Virginia are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Staunton City, VA
Assisted Living near Staunton City, VA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Staunton City
Review of Brookdale Staunton
Brookdale Staunton is beautifully decorated, clean, and smells nice. The dining area is beautifully decorated and they have menus that are leather-bound like in a restaurant. They have lots of acti... Read more
Review of Birch Gardens of Royal Care
My mother moved into Birch Gardens of Royal Care assisted living. She likes it there. She's doing OK. The staff is very friendly, kind, and caring. It's not a really big facility so my mom gets mor... Read more
Review of Brookdale Staunton
Brookdale Staunton was wonderful, clean, and attractive. The apartments were newly renovated and everything looked inviting and cozy. The staff I observed was friendly and warm. They had balance cl... Read more