7 Assisted Living Facilities in Staunton City, VA
The average cost of assisted living in Staunton City is $2,895 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,400. Cheaper nearby regions include Waynesboro City with an average starting cost of $2,800.
To help you with your search, browse the 34 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Staunton City. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Staunton City 3.9 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Augusta County with an average rating of 4.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Staunton City, call (855) 863-8283.
Browse Assisted Living by city: Assisted Living in Staunton
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Staunton City
Situated in the Shenandoah Valley, Staunton, Virginia, has a population where more than 20% of residents are seniors aged 65 years or older. To help provide care for these seniors, Staunton offers seven assisted living facilities, and another 20 can be found in the surrounding areas such as Harrisonburg and Waynesboro.
Throughout Staunton, assisted living facilities are classified as either residential care facilities or assisted care facilities. These are all licednsed by the Virginia Department of Social Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Staunton City
- Virginia is a moderately tax-friendly state for seniors living on fixed retirement incomes. Social Security income is considered exempt from taxes, and pensions, 401(k)s and IRAs are only taxed at a partial rate.
- When it comes to violent crime, Staunton fairs well when compared to the rest of the state. The violent crime rate is 31% lower than the rest of Virginia, but property crime rates are 25% lower, which may be a concern for seniors bringing their possessions into assisted living.
- Staunton has no facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Fishersville.
- If respiratory issues are a concern, seniors may find that Staunton has favorable air quality ratings. While overall air quality is rated as 34% better than the national average, the air pollution index is 95% better.
- With summer highs in the 80s and winter lows in the 20s, Staunton gives residents the opportunity to participate in the joys of every season. The area also gets 11 more sunny days per year than the U.S. average, which could be important for seniors who like to be outdoors.
- While the state of Virginia has living costs that run about 8% higher than the national average, Staunton actually has a relatively affordable cost of living. Healthcare runs 10% cheaper than the national and state average, which can make assisted living more affordable.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Staunton City
Average Monthly Costs
Counties in Virginia
Assisted Living costs in Staunton City start around $2,895 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Staunton City and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Staunton City
Staunton City, Virginia, seniors may be able to get financial assistance paying for care via the Auxiliary Grant program. To quality for this assistance, seniors must already get Supplemental Security Income (SSI). This money can be used for room and board and certain personal care and maintenance services.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Staunton City
Staunton City and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Staunton City, please visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Staunton City
Staunton City-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Virginia are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Staunton City, VA
Assisted Living near Staunton City, VA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Staunton City
Review of Birch Gardens of Royal Care
My mother moved into Birch Gardens of Royal Care assisted living. She likes it there. She's doing OK. The staff is very friendly, kind, and caring. It's not a really big facility so my mom gets mor... Read more
Review of Brookdale Staunton
Brookdale Staunton was wonderful, clean, and attractive. The apartments were newly renovated and everything looked inviting and cozy. The staff I observed was friendly and warm. They had balance cl... Read more
Review of Brookdale Staunton
We visited Brookdale Staunton. It was nice, the rooms were adequate, and they do not have a kitchen facility of any kind. They're assisted living. The dining area was very clean and nice. The direc... Read more