12 Assisted Living Facilities in Roanoke City, VA
The average cost of assisted living in Roanoke City is $4,520 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,450. Cheaper nearby regions include Salem County with an average starting cost of $2,195.
To help you with your search, browse the 30 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Roanoke City. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Roanoke City 4.3 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Salem County with an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Roanoke City, call (855) 863-8283.
Browse Assisted Living by city: Assisted Living in Roanoke
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Roanoke City, VA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Roanoke City
With a lively cityscape complemented by a vast, scenic view of the surrounding Blue Ridge and Allegheny mountains of the Appalachian range, Roanoke lets seniors enjoy both urban living and the natural beauty of southwestern Virginia. The Star City of the South, as it sometimes called, has 16 assisted living facilities (ALFs) which are defined by the state as non-medical residential settings that provide or coordinate personal and medical care for four or more adults. These ALFs are regulated by the Virginia Department of Social Services, Division of Licensing Programs.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Roanoke City
- Roanoke is one of the cleanest metropolitan areas in the country in terms of air quality as ranked by the American Lung Association. This is a great advantage for seniors with respiratory concerns.
- Seniors may enjoy affordable living in Roanoke as aside from the city’s low cost of living, the state of Virginia doesn’t tax social security income. While pensions and retirement benefits are partially taxable, sales and property taxes are relatively low.
- As a transportation hub in western Virginia, Roanoke has a regional airport, and the local bus system lets seniors travel around the city and to other areas in Roanoke Valley and New River Valley. Valley Metro gives fare discounts to adults 65+, offers paratransit services and runs the Star Line trolley that provides free rides from downtown to the Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital.
- Roanoke boasts a strong arts and culture scene that seniors can enjoy. It has an eclectic abundance of performing arts venues including the Mill Mountain Theatre, a regional theater that holds plenty of professional productions per year. Seniors may treat themselves to spectacular performances by the Roanoke Symphony Orchestra and Opera Roanoke and check out the Taubman Museum of Art for various art events.
- The Roanoke area is home to world-class medical facilities including Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital, Carilion Roanoke Community Hospital, American Family Care Urgent Care Center and Bradley Free Clinic in the event of medical emergencies or illness
- Roanoke is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.
Paying for Assisted Living in Roanoke City
Average Monthly Costs
Counties in Virginia
Assisted Living costs in Roanoke City start around $4,520 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Roanoke City and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Roanoke City
Eligible senior citizens in Roanoke may receive financial aid on assisted living costs through the Auxiliary Grants (AG) and Adult Services (AS) programs of the Virginia Department of Social Services .
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Roanoke City
Roanoke City and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Roanoke City, please visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Roanoke City
Roanoke City-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Virginia are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Roanoke City, VA
Assisted Living near Roanoke City, VA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Roanoke City
Review of Our Lady of the Valley
Our family member started out in the rehab which is the Sullivan Center. Those caregivers were WONDERFUL. We are sorry that they will be negatively impacted by this review. Fast forward to a move t... Read more
Review of Pheasant Ridge Senior Living
I really didn't care for Pheasant Ridge Senior Living. But my husband is moving there because they're supposed to have the medical capability to deal with him. My first impression of the place was ... Read more
Review of Hermitage Roanoke Retirement Community
I have already placed my mother in Hermitage Roanoke, and this place is top notch. They have all kinds of activities; they’ve got a theater room. They’ve got good food and they are well cared for. Read more