7 Assisted Living Facilities in Portsmouth City, VA
The average cost of assisted living in Portsmouth City is $3,835 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include Chesapeake City with an average starting cost of $3,523.
To help you with your search, browse the 26 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Portsmouth City. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Portsmouth City 3.7 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Norfolk City with an average rating of 4.1 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Portsmouth City, call (855) 863-8283.
Browse Assisted Living by city: Assisted Living in Portsmouth
Top 5 Assisted Living Facilities in Portsmouth City, VA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Portsmouth City
Along the banks of the Elizabeth River sits Portsmouth City, Virginia, a city of approximately 95,000 people. Nearly 15% of Portsmouth City's population is made up of senior citizens aged 65 and older. For seniors who need assistance with activities of daily living, there are seven assisted living facilities in the Portsmouth City area.
In Virginia, assisted living facilities provide 24-hour supervision and care. The state also licenses a lower level of facility which it calls residential living care. In residential living care facilities, residents require a lesser level of care and supervision. All types of assisted living in Virginia are regulated by the Virginia Department of Social Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Portsmouth City
- The Portsmouth City area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Bon Secours Maryview Medical Center, in case of medical emergencies or illness.
- Seniors and their loved ones may wish to consider the crime rates in Portsmouth City before choosing to settle down there. Property crime rates in the city are more than triple that of the average Virginia city and the same can be said for violent crime.
- Hampton Roads Transit (HRT) provides safe public transportation to residents of Portsmouth City. Senior citizens can access HRT trains and buses at a reduced rate.
- There are plenty of cultural events for senior citizens to enjoy in Portsmouth City, including outdoor concerts, museum exhibits and antique markets.
- Although the overall cost of living in Portsmouth City is slightly less than the national average, seniors who are considering long-term care in the area should keep in mind that the average cost of healthcare in the city is nearly 15% above the U.S. average.
- While there's plenty of sunshine in Portsmouth City, there is also plenty of rain. The city gets 9 inches more rain each year than the average city in the U.S. While some seniors may enjoy this weather, others may find it too rainy.
Paying for Assisted Living in Portsmouth City
Average Monthly Costs
Counties in Virginia
Assisted Living costs in Portsmouth City start around $3,835 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Portsmouth City and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Portsmouth City
Eligible senior citizens who receive assisted living in Portsmouth City can receive financial assistance from Virginia's Auxiliary Grant.
In Virginia, the amount assisted living facilities are allowed to charge for room and board is capped for seniors who receive Supplemental Security Income.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Portsmouth City
Portsmouth City and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Portsmouth City, please visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Portsmouth City
Portsmouth City-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Virginia are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Portsmouth City, VA
Assisted Living near Portsmouth City, VA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Portsmouth City
Review of Province Place of Maryview
I got to participate in the family parade that was held two weeks ago. It was so nice with everything going on. The residents seemed to really enjoy the parade. Very well put together. I have done ... Read more
Review of Province Place of Maryview
The staff are always friendly and very attentive to my grandmothers needs. Read more
Review of Commonwealth Senior Living at Churchland House
Commonwealth Senior Living at Churchland House sucked. We asked them if they were capable of handling my mother-in-law because she was declining and they kept telling us yes, then she fell and brok... Read more