8 Assisted Living Facilities in Norfolk City, VA
The average cost of assisted living in Norfolk City is $5,187 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include Portsmouth City with an average starting cost of $3,835.
To help you with your search, browse the 37 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Norfolk City. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Norfolk City 4.1 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Chesapeake City with an average rating of 4.2 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Norfolk City, call (855) 863-8283.
Browse Assisted Living by city: Assisted Living in Norfolk
Top 5 Assisted Living Facilities in Norfolk City, VA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Norfolk City
Norfolk City, Virginia is the heart of the nine cities that make up the Hampton Roads Metropolitan Area. Originally founded 1619 by 150 volunteers, it currently has a population of 244,000 people, over 10 percent of whom are 65 years of age or older. Seniors needing some help with daily living activities can choose from 8 Assisted Living Facilities administered by Virginia's Department of Social Services in the city with another 36 in the surrounding area.
The state divides these facilities into two categories, residential living care and assisted living care, depending on their available services. Assisted living care facilities offer 24/7 nursing care and are designed for those who need extensive help with daily living activities. Residential living care facilities are for seniors who are mostly independent and in need of a minimum of assistance.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Norfolk City
- Norfolk City's cost of living is slightly below the national average. However, the cost of healthcare in the area exceeds the U.S. mean rating by more than 17 points. Seniors with health issues may want to take this into account.
- With winter lows that rarely drop below freezing and summer highs that normally don't surpass the 90-degree mark, Norfolk's weather is ideal for seniors who enjoy year-round outdoor activities.
- With a current AQI rating of 44.1, Norfolk City, Virginia, is one of the top 100 metropolitan areas in the U.S. for air quality. For seniors with respiratory issues, this could be considered a big plus.
- Norfolk has a violent crime rate slightly higher than the national average and a property crime rate that exceeds the national average by more than 20 points making it one of the less desirable areas in Virginia for security-minded seniors.
- The City of Norfolk has plenty of activities for seniors who enjoy the arts and cultural events. IT is home to no less than six museums and host a wide variety of events throughout the year.
- Norfolk City has an array of resources for seniors, including the Senior Olympics Program an organization that promotes a healthy and active lifestyle among seniors regardless of their physical limitations as well as 6 senior centers.
Paying for Assisted Living in Norfolk City
Average Monthly Costs
Counties in Virginia
Assisted Living costs in Norfolk City start around $5,187 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Norfolk City and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Norfolk City
For seniors seeking assistance in paying for care in an assisted living facility in Norfolk City, the State of Virginia offers Auxiliary Grants for Assisted Living and Adult Foster Care.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Norfolk City
Norfolk City and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Norfolk City, please visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Norfolk City
Norfolk City-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Virginia are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Norfolk City, VA
Assisted Living near Norfolk City, VA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Norfolk City
Review of Commonwealth Senior Living at The Ballentine
The warmth that exudes from each staff member is palpable throughout this beautifully appointed building and grounds. Rooms are good sized, clean, and up to date. We are excited to be moving my D... Read more
Review of Province Place of DePaul
My wife was in the Lakewood (Memory Care) section of Province Place of DePaul, with middle to late-stage Alzheimer's. To the caregivers, housekeeping, maintenance, activities, kitchen, all the ... Read more
Review of Commonwealth Senior Living at Leigh Hall
I loved Commonwealth Senior Living at Leigh Hall and this was where my sister was supposed to go. I looked at their respite in assisted living. Their rooms were beautiful and the staff was very nic... Read more