7 Assisted Living Facilities in Alexandria City, VA
The average cost of assisted living in Alexandria City is $4,370 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include Prince Georges County with an average starting cost of $3,751.
To help you with your search, browse the 49 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Alexandria City. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Alexandria City 3.9 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Arlington County with an average rating of 3.9 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Alexandria City, call (855) 863-8283.
Browse Assisted Living by city: Assisted Living in Alexandria
Top 5 Assisted Living Facilities in Alexandria City, VA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Alexandria City
Founded in 1669 but with a median age of only 36, Alexandria City, VA, is both one of the oldest and youngest cities in the state. Less than 6 percent of the population is over the age of 65; even though the senior population is small, it does have several assisted living facilities from which to chose. There are 33 within Alexandria City and another 35 in the surrounding area.
These facilities, like all within the state, are divided into two categories by the Virginia Department of Social Services depending on the amount of assistance they require with activities of daily living. There are residential care facilities for those who need minimum care and assisted care facilities for those who need services 24/7.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Alexandria City
- Temperatures that dip below freezing and seasonal snowfall can make the winter months rough on seniors who enjoy being outdoors, but summer highs rarely exceed 90, making Alexandria City one of the more pleasant areas in Virginia for most of the year.
- Being close to Washington D.C., Alexandria City suffers from some air quality issues that might affect seniors with respiratory problems. Its air quality rating is 27 points below the national average.
- With property and violent crime rates well below the national average Alexandria City is one of the safest cities in the D.C. area for seniors to live.
- The cost of living index for Alexandria City is more than 65 points over the national mean. However, the majority of this is due to exceedingly high home costs. Healthcare costs that might be of greater concern to senior citizens are actually below the national average.
- Alexandria City is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership "has made the commitment to actively work towards making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages," according to the AARP.
- Alexandria City has much to offer seniors in the area of arts and culture. Some of the city's residential facilities may offer day trips to sites such as the Torpedo Factory Arts Center or performances at Birchmere Music Hall.
Paying for Assisted Living in Alexandria City
Average Monthly Costs
Counties in Virginia
Assisted Living costs in Alexandria City start around $4,187 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Alexandria City and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Alexandria City
The State of Virginia offers Auxiliary Grants for Assisted Living and Adult Foster Care (AGs) to seniors in Alexandria City who need assistance in paying for assisted living.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Alexandria City
Alexandria City and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Alexandria City, please visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Alexandria City
Alexandria City-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Virginia are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Alexandria City, VA
Assisted Living near Alexandria City, VA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Alexandria City
Review of The Fountains at Washington House
I wouldn't recommend The Fountains to my worst enemy! Phone calls to Rehab Director, Nurse Practitioner, and Doctor are not returned--even when the personal physician and surgeon have called on mul... Read more
Review of Brandywine Living at Alexandria
Nice rooms, activities and staff. Pitiful food almost from day 1 . No excuses, they are not new. Read more
Review of Sunrise of Alexandria
I have nothing but top marks to give Sunrise of Alexandria. The people running the places were superb to deal with. Back and forth between the hospital and Sunrise, they have been very accommodatin... Read more