33 Assisted Living Facilities near Shillington, PA
There are 33 Assisted Living Facilities in the Shillington area, with 2 in Shillington and 31 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Shillington is $4,680 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500.
To help you with your search, browse the 116 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Shillington. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Shillington 2.3 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Wyomissing with an average rating of 4.2 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Shillington, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Shillington, PA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Shillington
Shillington is a quaint residential suburb of Reading, in what was once one of the most important rail connection regions in the Eastern Pennsylvania area. Today home to just 5,300 people, 18% of Shillington's residents are seniors aged 65 and over. The town has three assisted living facilities within its borders, but several more facilities dot the rolling countryside outside of the city limits. These sites, like all residential long-term care facilities in Pennsylvania, are regulated by the Pennsylvania Department of Human Services Assisted Living Residence Licensing Division.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Shillington
- The weather in Shillington is warm and level in the humid summers and a lot cooler and drier in the winters. Summertime highs in Shillington average 85 degrees, while winter lows overnight can dip to an average of 21. The region in and around Shillington gets 45 inches of rain a year, mostly in spring and fall.
- The cost of living in Shillington is roughly 6% below the national average. though seniors pay less in general to live in Shillington, healthcare can be expensive. Costs in town run about 18% higher for medical care than is common across the rest of the country.
- Crime rates in Shillington are very low. Seniors in this residential suburb of Reading are exposed to combined property and violent crime rates that range as low as 25% of the national average. While property crime is the most common offense in town, the violent crime rates are even lower.
- Public transportation in Shillington is provided by the Berks Area Regional Transit Authority (BARTA), which runs bus route 11 through the middle of town and connects much of the area with nearby Reading. Regular fares on BARTA are mileage based, though caregivers and personal attendants ride for free with a senior. All BARTA vehicles are ADA-compliant, and special trips can be scheduled for medical and disabled ride services.
- The Shillington area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Reading Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Shillington has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Berks County Area Agency on Aging, an organization that offers classes and caregiver support, with referrals to adult day care, as well as one senior center.
Note: Data on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Shillington
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Pennsylvania
Assisted Living costs in Shillington start around $4,680 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Shillington and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Shillington
Seniors in Shillington will not find any Medicaid Waivers in PA to help pay for the cost of assisted living, but SSI can be used to offset some of the cost.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Shillington
Shillington and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Shillington, please visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Shillington
Shillington-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Pennsylvania are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Shillington, PA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Shillington
Review of Mifflin Center
I unfortunately was transferred to Mifflin Center from the Surgery Center after a knee replacement. We were told that it would be a private room with the door shut due to Covid 19. This was not th... Read more
Review of Mifflin Court
I looked at a lot of different facilities before choosing mifflin court for my mom. I'm very happy I chose this place. The food is excellent and my mom has made new friends already. She finally se... Read more
Review of Mifflin Court
When we first found Mifflin Court, it was a beautiful, clean, and well-represented place. The last four years were good. Now, they’re a little stuffy, kind of snobby, very nosy, and we’ve had a lot... Read more