28 Assisted Living Facilities near Donora, PA
Also serving communities of West Newton.
There are 28 Assisted Living Facilities in the Donora area, with 2 in Donora and 26 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 61 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Donora. Better rated regions include Charleroi with an average rating of 3.3 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Donora, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Donora, PA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Donora
In the 1940s, Donora played a pivotal role in raising awareness of the dangers of smog and the need for clean air, and today, more than 4,600 residents get to enjoy the area. For those who are 65 years or older, Donora has two assisted living residences, with more than an additional two dozen in nearby cities like South Park and Clairton.
Assisted living facilities in Donora are usually referred to as assisted living residences, although adult care homes also technically fall under this designation. For licensing, regulating and monitoring, these facilities must report to the Department of Aging or the Department of Public Welfare depending on the types of care provided.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Donora
- The air quality in Donora received a passing grade of a B from the American Lung Association for its 24-hour particle pollution levels, but the ozone levels are still problematic, receiving a D grade. This may be something of which seniors with pulmonary issues need to be aware.
- Pennsylvania doesn't tax Social Security income or retirement income from pensions, IRAs and 401(k)s, which leaves more money for seniors to live off of if they are on a fixed income.
- Donora has no facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Monongahela.
- The Mid Mon Valley Transit system helps Donora's residents get around, and seniors in particular can take benefit from this public transit option. Free rides are available for seniors who apply for a Free Transit card.
- Donora has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Southwestern Pennsylvania Area Agency on Aging, an organization that helps local seniors connect with each other and programs available throughout the community, as well as one senior center.
- Donora has a low cost of living for seniors who want to try to stretch their budgets as far as possible. Overall cost of living is 17 percent less than both the national average and that of the state of Pennsylvania.
Note: Data on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Donora
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Pennsylvania
Assisted Living costs in Donora start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Donora and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Donora
Qualifying seniors in Donora may be able to use Supplemental Social Security Income to help offset some of the costs associated with assisted living.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Donora
Donora and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Donora, please visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Donora
Donora-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Pennsylvania are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page for more information about these laws.