47 Assisted Living Facilities near Columbia, PA
Also serving communities of Washington Boro, Mount Joy, Maytown.
There are 47 Assisted Living Facilities in the Columbia area, with 3 in Columbia and 44 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 136 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Columbia. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Columbia 1.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Lancaster with an average rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Columbia, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Columbia, PA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Columbia
Columbia, a borough situated in the Sayre Metro area of Bradford County, Pennsylvania, can trace its history back to its Native American inhabitants that occupied the land around the Susquehanna River. Today, the community is home to over 10,000 people, roughly 16 percent of whom are over the age of 65. To support the senior community, Columbia has three assisted living facilities. Seniors who broaden their search to the surrounding community will find an additional 56 facilities to choose from.
In Columbia, the official licensure terms for assisted living facilities are "Assisted Living Residences" and "Personal Care Homes," depending on the level of care they provide. Assisted living residences are licensed through the Department of Aging, Office of Long-Term Living, Division of Licensing, while personal care homes are licensed through the Department of Public Welfare, Adult Residential Licensing.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Columbia
- With a cost of living that is 12 percent below the state and national average, Columbia is an affordable community for seniors. Seniors can expect to spend about 12 percent less on transportation expenses, though groceries and healthcare costs a little more.
- Columbia has warm, mild summers with highs around 80 degrees Fahrenheit and cold, snowy winters with lows around 14 degrees. The region receives about 39 inches of snow annually, which may be a consideration for seniors who drive.
- The air quality in Bradford County is good, which may be beneficial for seniors with respiratory or cardiovascular conditions. The county received an "A" from the American Lung Association, indicating that the air is safe for seniors to breathe.
- Pennsylvania seniors do not pay income tax on their Social Security benefits, retirement income or pension income. This may leave more money in their budgets for assisted living expenses.
- The rate of violent crime in Columbia is slightly higher than the national average, while the property crime rate is lower. Although most assisted living facilities have security systems in place, seniors may want to practice caution when they're out alone.
- The Columbia area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Columbia Regional Health Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Columbia
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Pennsylvania
Assisted Living costs in Columbia start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Columbia and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Columbia
Currently, Pennsylvania Medicaid does not cover assisted living. However, the state supplements the federal Supplemental Security Income benefit, which seniors can use toward the cost of their care.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Columbia
Columbia and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Columbia, please visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Columbia
Columbia-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Pennsylvania are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Columbia, PA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Columbia
Review of St. John's Herr Estate
A weird place manager is mean doesnt know common sense protocols when someone is sick ive caught her in lies staff is almost impossible to talk to ive been screamed at asked personal questions this... Read more