The 5 Best Assisted Living Facilities in Vermilion, OH for 2023
There are 8 Assisted Living Facilities in the Vermilion area, with 2 in Vermilion and 6 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 24 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Vermilion. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Vermilion 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Vermilion, call (855) 863-8283.
Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Vermilion, OH
Kingston of Vermilion
Kingston Residence of Vermilion
Lorain Estates Senior Living
Aged to Perfection
Anchor Lodge Nursing Home
Amherst Manor Assisted Living
Anchor Lodge Retirement Village
A Loving Hand Senior Living
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Vermilion
Vermilion, Ohio is located on the southern shore of Lake Erie, and was once known as the “Village of Lake Captains," due to the many beautifully maintained captain's homes in the historic district. An estimated 23 percent of the city's population of 10,500 is aged over 65, and there are two assisted living facilities for them in Vermilion, with another seven in communities nearby, including Oberlin, Amherst and Lorain.
Assisted living facilities in Vermilion are monitored by the Ohio Department of Health, which offers different licenses based on the care offered to residents and the number of people who can be accommodated in a facility.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Vermilion
- The Vermilion area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Southwest General Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Seniors looking for arts and culture will find plenty on offer at the Arts Guild, which has rotating exhibits and offers workshops to residents. Vermilion also has a number of cultural events, including Concerts in the Park, offering outdoor performances during the summer.
- Public transit in Vermilion is provided by the Sandusky Transit System. Seniors can access a dial-a-ride shared transport system and paratransit is also available for eligible riders.
- Vermilion's low crime rate makes it safer than 65 percent of American communities. Violent crime occurs at a rate of just 0.29 per 1,000 residents. Property crime is also low, with only 10.28 incidents per 1,000 residents compared to the state average of 25.77.
- The cost of living in Vermilion is almost 8 percent less than the national average. However, this is mostly due to the low cost of housing. Seniors will find that many expenses, including groceries and health care, are around 9 percent more expensive than the U.S. average.
- Vermilion has cold winters and averages 44 inches of snow each year, which can be challenging for seniors who enjoy spending time outdoors. The average January low is just 20 degrees, however the high in July is 82, giving seniors the chance to enjoy this lakeside town.
Paying for Assisted Living in Vermilion
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Ohio
Assisted Living costs in Vermilion start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Vermilion and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Vermilion
Seniors in Vermilion may be eligible for financial assistance through the Assisted Living Waiver Program, which pays the cost of care for some people in assisted living. Ohio also has an Optional State Supplement which may be available to seniors receiving a Social Security income.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Ohio page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Ohio page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Vermilion
Vermilion and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Vermilion, please visit our Assisted Living in Ohio page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Vermilion
Vermilion-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Ohio are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Ohio page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Vermilion, OH
Other Options in Vermilion, OH
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Vermilion
Review of Kingston of Vermilion
This place is wonderful! I could not have had a better experience here. Compared to other places that I have seen, this is top notch. From the staff expertise to their genuine care. Read more
Review of Kingston of Vermilion
My family and I have loved the experience at Kingston of Vermilion. It is such a high class organization. The care and expertise there is amazing. Read more
Review of Kingston of Vermilion
We chose Kingston of Vermilion for my mom because it's clean, the people care, people do shows there, the staff is great, and it's in a very peaceful and nice setting. Read more
11 Signs It Might Be Time for Assisted Living
The decision to help an aging adult move out of a current home is a complex one -- both emotionally and practically. Above all, you want the person to be safe and well. How can you all feel more co...
Nursing Home, Assisted Living, or Independent Living?
The first step to finding the best senior housing for your loved one is to understand what type of care facility is the best fit. There are six main types of residential elder care options: _[Inde...
- Assisted Living or In-Home Care?
- Assisted Living Checklist: What to Look for, What to Ask
- Cost of Assisted Living
How to Pay for Assisted Living
As you're weighing senior care options for your loved one, cost is likely a top factor. The good news? Depending on what care your loved one needs, assisted living can be much more affordable than ...
How Levels of Care Affect Assisted Living Cost
If you're shopping for assisted living, you'll need to familiarize yourself with the levels of care, as the monthly rate for assisted living will depend on the level of care that the resident requi...
- Tips on Moving to Assisted Living