5 Assisted Living Facilities near Sandusky, OH
Also serving communities of Lakeside Marblehead, Port Clinton.
There are 5 Assisted Living Facilities in the Sandusky area, with 3 in Sandusky and 2 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 10 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Sandusky. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Sandusky 4.1 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Bellevue with an average rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Sandusky, call (855) 863-8283.
3 Assisted Living Facilities in Sandusky, OH
2 Assisted Living Facilities near Sandusky, OH
Other Options in Sandusky, OH
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Sandusky
Review of Portland Place
Don't take your loved ones here!!!!! This place does nothing but charge more to do less! My Mom has been here for a year and she has had so many urinary tract infections from sitting in dirty... Read more
Review of Parkvue Community
My wife and I have lived at Parkvue in a two bedroom independent living apartment. We LOVE the place. The swimming pool makes it feel like a resort. The food is good, the staff goes out of the w... Read more
Review of Portland Place
My relative is in Portland Place. They have activities like family nights and bingo. They take them on bus trips. It is pretty well rounded. They serve three meals a day, and they serve whatever th... Read more
Assisted Living near Erie County, OH
More Options Near Sandusky, OH
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Sandusky
Sandusky, OH, was once a major stop on the Underground Railroad for slaves escaping to Canada. This port city on the shore of Lake Erie is home to eight assisted living communities, where seniors enjoy safe, comfortable living and 24-hour assistance with activities of daily living (ADLs). All assisted living communities in Ohio are regulated by the Ohio Department of Health’s Office of Health Assurance and Licensing, which conducts inspections for quality of care and staff training. As a rule, local communities also offer group activities and sometimes help with arranging offsite transportation for medical visits and other day trips.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Sandusky
Weather in Sandusky consists of mild summers and sometimes-cold winters. Summer highs here rarely get higher than 82 degrees Fahrenheit, while winter lows dip to 21 degrees, which can be an issue for seniors with COPD and other breathing problems. Sandusky gets about 51 inches of rain a year and 16 inches of snow in the coldest months.
- Sandusky is a really affordable town for many seniors. The average cost of groceries here is 95 percent lower than national averages, while seniors pay about 99 percent of the national rate for health care.
- Ohio's income tax runs from 0.495 to 4.997 percent, plus local income tax, which can add between 0 and 3 percent. SSI and most forms of retirement income are tax-free, though seniors who shop for themselves still pay sales taxes of from 6.5 to 8 percent. The state also charges gas tax of 28 cents a gallon.
- The crime rate in Sandusky has been consistently falling for many years. Crime in all categories has fallen from highs of about double the national average in 2002, to about 10 percent lower than the national median by 2016. Seniors who enjoy an active lifestyle outside their community can enjoy safe evening strolls in most neighborhoods.
- Transportation in Sandusky is handled by the Sandusky Transit System (STS). This service operates multiple bus routes around town and offers significant senior discounts with valid transit ID.
- The Sandusky area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Firelands Regional Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Sandusky
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Ohio
Assisted Living costs in Sandusky start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Sandusky and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Sandusky
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Ohio page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Ohio page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Sandusky
Sandusky and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Sandusky, please visit our Assisted Living in Ohio page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Sandusky
Sandusky-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Ohio are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Ohio page for more information about these laws.