9 Assisted Living Facilities near Lorain, OH
Also serving communities of Amherst.
There are 9 Assisted Living Facilities in the Lorain area, with 5 in Lorain and 4 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Lorain is $3,485 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include Elyria with an average starting cost of $2,221.
To help you with your search, browse the 34 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Lorain. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Lorain 3.8 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Elyria with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Lorain, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 5 Assisted Living Facilities in Lorain, OH
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Lorain
Lorain was named after Lorraine, France, and was settled in 1807. The city’s most famous resident is Toni Morrison, a Nobel Prize-winning author. Its current population is about 64,000. Of these residents, 15.7% are seniors. If these seniors find themselves in need of help with daily tasks, there are eight assisted living facilities in the area.
Lorain’s assisted living facilities, like those throughout the state, are licensed to provide supervision and personal care to three or more people. They are regulated by the Ohio Department of Health’s Bureau of Regulatory Operations.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Lorain
- At 25.6% lower than the national average, the cost of living in Lorain is low. In this city, housing costs are 64.9% below the U.S. norm, but seniors will also notice savings in other areas. Compared to national average prices, healthcare, transportation, utilities and groceries are more affordable. These savings can help seniors afford assisted living fees.
- The city has few facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Cleveland.
- Lorain County Transit connects Lorain with the nearby communities of Sheffield and Elyria. Four bus routes are available Monday through Friday. Seniors pay half-price fares, which makes getting around the city affordable.
- Seniors who enjoy outdoor activities will find plenty to do in Lorain. To explore over five miles of paved trails, seniors can visit the Black River Reservation. Tram tours are available for seniors who can’t walk the trails. For a fun day at the beach, seniors can visit Century Park. At the Lorain Public Fishing Pier, seniors can fish in Lake Erie and the Black River.
- Seniors who retire in Lorain don’t need to pay tax on their Social Security benefits, and these tax savings may help seniors budget for assisted living services. However, other types of retirement income, including pensions, IRAs and 401(k)s, are subject to state taxes.
- For seniors who enjoy cross country skiing, skating and other winter sports, Lorain’s climate may be ideal. Winter lows are in the teens, and on average, 51 inches of snow falls per year. This is significantly more than the U.S. average of 28 inches.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Lorain
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Ohio
Assisted Living costs in Lorain start around $3,485 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Lorain and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Lorain
For help paying for care in Lorain’s assisted living facilities, Medicaid-eligible seniors may look to the state’s Assisted Living waiver program. The state also operates a cash assistance program, the Residential State Supplement, that may help seniors pay for room-and-board fees.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Ohio page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Ohio page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Lorain
Lorain and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Lorain, please visit our Assisted Living in Ohio page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Lorain
Lorain-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Ohio are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Ohio page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Lorain, OH
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Lorain
Review of Elmcroft of Lorain
Elmcroft of Lorain was beautiful. I was very impressed with everything that I saw. The rooms were very nice. The person who assisted me was very professional. She continues to email me about specia... Read more
Review of Aged to Perfection
This is an amazing place for loved one's to go. It's very clean smells heavenly when you walk in you just feel like your at home. It is definitely Home away from home such loving caring staff over ... Read more
Review of Elmcroft of Lorain
My mom was placed in Elmcroft, and we haven't had any problems. The staff is very helpful and are taking good care of her. They're doing everything they said they're going to do. My mother loves th... Read more