6 Assisted Living Facilities near Newark, OH
Also serving communities of Heath.
There are 6 Assisted Living Facilities in the Newark area, with 3 in Newark and 3 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Newark is $2,760 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,465.
To help you with your search, browse the 50 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Newark. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Newark 4.2 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Granville with an average rating of 4.6 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Newark, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 5 Assisted Living Facilities in Newark, OH
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Newark
The city of Newark is located in the geographic center of Ohio and is best known for Newark Earthworks, which are mounds originally built by the Hopewell Indians, many of which are still in existence. Today, this city is home to 6,894 seniors, some of whom may benefit from assistance with daily activities.
There are three assisted living facilities located within Newark to care for those seniors, along with three more located in the nearby cities of Granville and Heath. These facilities are typically called Residential Care Facilities in Newark and throughout Ohio, and they are governed by the Ohio Department of Health.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Newark
- Social Security benefits are not taxed in Ohio, which may leave Newark seniors with more money to put toward their living expenses.
- Newark seniors with respiratory conditions may prefer to stay indoors during periods of high pollen. The city has an air quality rating of 55, a full three points below the U.S. rating of 58.
- Newark’s violent crime rate is half of that of the U.S. average at 11.3 versus 22.8, which might give cautious seniors some peace of mind. The property crime rate in the city, however, is 67.5, almost double the national average of 35.4. Seniors may want to ensure that prospective facilities have security cameras, alarms and other safety features.
- The Newark area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Licking Memorial Hospital and Select Specialty Hospital - Southeast Ohio, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- The low cost of living in Newark makes it a very affordable city for seniors. Newark’s cost of living is 83.9, lower than both the Ohio average of 87.7 and the national average of 100. Seniors here can expect to pay less for groceries, healthcare and transportation than they might in other areas of the country. The low housing costs at 60.8 may result in lower facility expenses.
Newark’s temperatures reach 84 degrees in the summer and drop to the high-teens during the winter months. This city gets 42 inches of rain and 20 inches of snow each year, both of which may make it difficult for walker-dependent seniors to navigate.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Newark
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Ohio
Assisted Living costs in Newark start around $2,760 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Newark and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Newark
Medicaid eligible seniors in Newark may be able to get financial assistance with their assisted living expenses through one of Ohio’s two programs. These are known as MyCare Ohio and the Assisted Living Waiver Program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Ohio page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Ohio page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Newark
Newark and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Newark, please visit our Assisted Living in Ohio page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Newark
Newark-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Ohio are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Ohio page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Newark, OH
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Newark
Review of Sharonbrooke
I have a family member in there , she has been in there for almost 3yrs. since this Pandemic is going on, they said they don't have time to give her a bath or change her sheets on her bed.. she is ... Read more
Review of Sharonbrooke
Over time, we have found this facility to show the public how beautiful it is on the outside but the inside is another story. The senior staff holds grudges against the resident if concerns are br... Read more
Review of Chestnut House
Chestnut House is Home, not 'a home.' The common areas are bright and inviting. The hallways are wide with sitting areas and puzzles in progress here and there. The outdoor courtyard is well mainta... Read more