Aurora is a small industrial city of only about 17,239 residents and according to the 2020 Census, over a fifth are seniors aged 65 and older. The area’s clean air, low cost for health care and senior-oriented programs make it an attractive retirement option.

Older adults who need care and assistance with some daily tasks but can otherwise live independently might benefit from transitioning into assisted living. These communities provide all meals and general cleaning services as well as assistance with daily living tasks such as bathing and dressing. Many assisted living facilities offer a social activity calendar and amenities such as a library and a computer room. Assisted living is not suitable for frail seniors who need nursing home care or for retirees who can comfortably live independently at home. In Aurora, the average monthly rate for assisted living is $4,875.

This page offers an introductory guide to assisted living in Aurora, including a price comparison with other cities, and lists some helpful resources for seniors in the area.

Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Aurora, OH

2022, 2023

Independence Village of Aurora

505 S. Chillicothe Road, Aurora, OH, 44202

My father was a resident at Independence Village. The process of moving in and familiarization was handled very professionally and efficiently. The entire staff, from the Executive Director down to … (read more)

The Campus of Anna Maria of Aurora

889 North Aurora Road, Aurora, OH, 44202

My wife is in Anna Maria assisted living and it’s good. Her apartment looks good. The staff is good and my wife likes them and is satisfied. The food is good and affordable; not the cheapest but not t … (read more)

Atrium at Anna Maria

800 North Aurora Road, Aurora, OH, 44202

I just recently went to Atrium at Anna Maria. As far as appearance, cleanliness, staff, and all those other things, I would say it was good. It was a brand new facility. I thought it was less than six … (read more)

2023

Maplewood at Twinsburg

2463 Sussex Boulevard, Twinsburg, OH, 44087

The rooms are spacious comfortable and clean. Staff is accessible and friendly. The wellnesss center is very convenient. They offer a variety of meals! Housekeeping is a plus!

Arden Courts of Chagrin Falls

8100 East Washington Street, Chagrin Falls, OH, 44023

The Gardens at Liberty Park

9975 green tree parkway, Streetsboro, OH, 44241

We will be moving my mom to The Gardens because they have planned activities every day. I liked the rooms, they are very nice, and they varied a lot. The cost was something that we feel we could deal … (read more)

Lantern of Chagrin Valley

5277 Chillicothe Road, Chagrin Falls, OH, 44022

Mom has found a loving, caring, and high-quality home at Lantern. She has been a resident for approximately 5 years and has thrived in both the standard community and the Memory Care community, "Lante … (read more)

The Weils

16695 Chillicothe Road, Chagrin Falls, OH, 44023

please look elsewhere. This place should be shut down. My mother was overdosed twice and got an infection from lack of care that required surgery. UNDERSTAFFED and use agency help that is here today … (read more)

2016

Stratford Care and Rehabilitation

7000 Cochran Road, Glenwillow, OH, 44139

My Mother-in-law received wonderful care. The staff went above and beyond and did an awesome job!

Danbury in Hudson

150 Omni Lake Parkway, Hudson, OH, 44236

I chose to be here. I picked the room I’m moving into. They explained the activities, and it sounded like they can keep me active. There were people talking to each other when I was there. I was very … (read more)

Grande Village Suites

2610 East Aurora Rd., Twinsburg, OH, 44087

I liked that the rooms at Grande Village Suites were very big, clean, and roomy. They have a full kitchen, a refrigerator, microwave, stove, and dishwasher. The price was good. My mom will be paying h … (read more)

Greenwood

200 Laurel Lake Drive, Hudson, OH, 44236

Legacy Place – Twinsburg

9928 vail drive, Twinsburg, OH, 44087

I had a full knee replacement but it seems the average time of getting the medicine for pain was 45 minutes my bed pan was waiting for 20 minutes. This time around I waited an hour for my meds

What to Consider About Assisted Living in Aurora

The Bureau of Regulatory Operations at the Ohio Department of Health manages the licensing and sets laws and regulations all assisted living communities in the Aurora area need to follow. Residential care units in Ohio receive regular inspection visits from the ODH to ensure that care standards are met.

Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Aurora

• Seniors in Aurora don’t need to worry about feeling secure in the city as the area’s crime rates are very low. The violent offense rank of 7.2 is a third of the national median of 22.7.
  • The city enjoys very comfortable summers with July temperatures of around 81 degrees. However, winters in Aurora are very cold and the city has lows of up to 17 degrees and around 72 inches of snow yearly.
  • While Aurora has a below-average number of medical professionals per capita, the city’s overall health care costs are lower than the national average. Seniors in the city are served by several medical facilities including UH Aurora Health Center and UH Aurora Family Medicine.
  • While the city’s overall living expenses are higher than the state average, they are pretty much in line with the rest of the country.
  • Seniors aged 65 and older benefit from a city-operated transportation program to help them run errands such as medical appointments, groceries and trips to the bank. This is a free service within city limits and low cost for nearby areas.
  • Aurora’s air is remarkably clean. The city’s air quality index of 73 is significantly higher than the national median of 58.

Paying for Assisted Living in Aurora

Aurora’s assisted living average cost of $4,875 is considerably higher than the Ohio and national respective medians of $4,350 and $4,300.

The Cost of Assisted Living in Nearby Cities

Assisted living in Aurora is at the top of the price range when compared with surrounding areas. The corresponding average rates in Mansfield ($3,570) and Cleveland ($3,950) are significantly above Aurora. On the state line with Pennsylvania, in Youngstown, assisted living costs are $837 lower. Less than an hour’s drive south, in Canton, the average costs are a couple of hundred dollars lower than Aurora.

$4875

Mansfield

$3950

Cleveland

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Seniors who’d prefer to receive the assistance they need at home may opt for home care or home health care providers at a median cost of $4,195 per month. The most budget-friendly senior care option in Aurora is adult day health care, and this runs around $1,387 each month. As nursing homes offer 24/7 supervision and medical services, they are the most expensive option at a median price of $8,121 for a semiprivate room and $8,851 for a private room.

$4195

Adult Day Health Care

$4875

Assisted Living Facility

$8121

Nursing Home Facility (semiprivate room)

$8851

Nursing Home Facility (private room)

Note: Care cost data for Aurora was not available, so data for the closest city, Akron, was used instead.

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Aurora

If you’re a Medicaid waiver participant in Aurora, you probably will have a cap on your room and board expenses that approximately equals the SSI federal benefit level.  The two waiver programs are MyCare and the 1915(c) Assisted Living Program. Ohio also offers a state supplement program that can be used toward paying assisted living expenses.

Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Ohio page.

Paying for Assisted Living Facilities in Ohio

More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living

• Veterans Benefits
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Long-Term Care Insurance
  • Reverse Mortgage

For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Ohio page.

Free Assisted Living Resources in Aurora

The older community in Aurora is served by several nonprofits and government agencies that can help enrich their lives and ensure that assisted living communities upheld their rights as residents.

Resource

Contact

Service

Older adults can get in touch with the ADRC for free assistance in finding the most suitable option for long-term care. The ADRC provides information and assistance, as well as counseling, and can assess seniors’ long-term care needs.

ext. 8201

This program can help senior residents of assisted living communities understand their rights and can also mediate complaints. Additionally, the ombudsman can also assist seniors in finding a suitable long-term care unit to move into.

(330)877-2495

This program provides volunteering opportunities for seniors aged 55 and older. Seniors can use their skills and expertise to continue serving their local areas even after retirement. RSVP is part of the national AmeriCorps.

(330)297-3456

The Portage senior center serves adults in the county aged 60 and older. Seniors can enjoy an array of fun recreational activities such as card games, art classes and exercise classes.

The county’s Veterans Services office can help seniors who were in U.S. Military Service identify and apply for any pensions and benefits they are entitled to. The office can also advise on issues such as military health care and emergency financial help.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Aurora

Aurora-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Ohio are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Ohio page for more information about these laws.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Ohio