2 Assisted Living Facilities in Devils Lake, ND
Also serving communities of Lakota, Edmore, Carrington.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Devils Lake, call (855) 863-8283.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Devils Lake
Seniors who love to fish in every season may find Devils Lake to be a great retirement destination choice. The namesake city of approximately 7,300 residents adjoins the lake that’s the largest natural body of water in North Dakota and known as the Perch Capital of the World.
Nearly 22% of Devils Lake’s population is comprised of adults aged 65 and older. To accommodate these residents when they need help with the activities of daily living, Devils Lake offers two assisted living facilities. North Dakota has two types of assisted living communities: assisted living facilities (ALFs) and basic care facilities (BCFs). Each type must be licensed by both the state’s Department of Health and Department of Human Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Devils Lake
- Seniors in Devils Lake find that North Dakota is one of the few states that tax at least some portion of Social Security benefits. Other retirement income is fully taxed. Kiplinger points out, however, that income taxes are so low in North Dakota, the state can be considered tax-friendly for retirees.
- Those on limited incomes may appreciate the cost of living in Devils Lake, which is about 15% lower than the national average overall. Seniors typically save on health care, utilities and transportation, but groceries are about 2% higher than the U.S. average.
- Devils Lake offers an array of community resources for seniors, including Senior Meals & Services, an organization providing meals, transportation, foot care, bingo and daily card games.
- The Devils Lake area is home to world-class medical facilities, including CHI St. Alexius Health Devils Lake Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Seniors should brace themselves for 34 inches of snow on average and a winter low of -3 in January when considering Devils Lake. Summers are also relatively cool with an average July high of 79 degrees.
- Some seniors may be concerned that the property crime rate in Devils Lake is almost twice the national average. The city rates a 64 on a 100-point scale for crimes such as burglary, arson and car theft. The U.S. average is 35.4. Violent crime is lower, however, with Devils Lake’s score of 17.7 below the national average of 22.7.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Devils Lake
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in North Dakota
Assisted Living costs in Devils Lake start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Devils Lake and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Devils Lake
Low-income seniors in Devils Lake may be eligible for financial aid to cover the costs of personal care services in ALFs and BCFs through the North Dakota Medicaid State Plan Personal Care Services (MSP-PC) program. It does not cover room and board expenses, however.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in North Dakota page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in North Dakota page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Devils Lake
Devils Lake and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Devils Lake, please visit our Assisted Living in North Dakota page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Devils Lake
Devils Lake-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in North Dakota are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in North Dakota page for more information about these laws.