38 Assisted Living Facilities near Raleigh, NC
With an average cost of $4,493 in Raleigh, it’s often difficult to find assisted living communities that provide high-quality care at an affordable price. At Caring.com, our mission is to make this process as smooth and painless as possible, and we’ve helped many families along the way.
This guide provides everything you need to quickly compare communities and narrow your search, including 152 unique reviews from residents and our comprehensive database that gives pricing, amenity information, photos and more on the 23 facilities in Raleigh.
23 Assisted Living Facilities in Raleigh, NC
15 Assisted Living Facilities near Raleigh, NC
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Raleigh
Raleigh, North Carolina, was originally called the "City of Oaks" by its founding fathers who dedicated themselves to protecting and maintaining the wooded areas and grassy parks in the area. This historically rich city is home to more than 33,000 seniors, some of whom may be in need of assisted living services. To support these seniors there are 24 assisted living facilities in Raleigh.
Assisted living facilities are known as Assisted Living Residences (ACRs) in Raleigh and throughout North Carolina, and are licensed by The North Carolina Division of Health Service Regulation.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Raleigh
- Raleigh is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.
- North Carolina fully taxes pensions and retirement savings account withdrawals but does not tax social security benefits. Seniors in Raleigh may want to keep this in mind when budgeting money for their facility expenses.
- The cost of living in Raleigh is 111, more than 10 points higher than the national average of 100. Seniors with tight facilities budgets might find that the cost of living in Raleigh is too high for their liking.
- Raleigh has a violent crime rating of 20.3, slightly lower than the national average of 22.7, and a property crime rating of 44.4, more than 10 points higher than the national average of 35.4. Concerned families might want to ask facility staff about security protocols in place to keep their residents safe.
- Raleigh has poor air quality. On a scale where 100 represents areas with the best air quality, Raleigh ranks 50, eight points lower than the national average of 58. Seniors with respiratory issues might have a hard time breathing in the city.
- Raleigh has hot summers with highs reaching 90 degrees. Families might want to ensure that facility rooms have air conditioning to keep their loved one comfortable during humid weather conditions.
Paying for Assisted Living in Raleigh
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in North Carolina
Assisted Living costs in Raleigh start around $4,493 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Raleigh and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Raleigh
Eligible seniors who live in Raleigh or in other cities in North Carolina can apply for funding to help pay for assisted living costs through one of two state-funded programs: Project C.A.R.E (Caregiver Alternatives to Running on Empty) or the State/County Special Assistance Program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in North Carolina page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in North Carolina page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Raleigh
Raleigh and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Raleigh, please visit our Assisted Living in North Carolina page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Raleigh
Raleigh-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in North Carolina are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in North Carolina page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Raleigh, NC
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Raleigh
Review of Brighton Gardens of Raleigh
Brighton Gardens of Raleigh was remodelling, but it looked like it was going to be very nice. I would recommend others to look at it and definitely consider this place. The tour was a very good exp... Read more
Review of Sunrise of Raleigh
Sunrise of Raleigh was very nice. My biggest concern is that they're telling me that they could provide a lot of services, which made me concerned based on their staffing pattern. The rooms were ni... Read more
Review of Brighton Gardens of Raleigh
My visit with Brighton Gardens of Raleigh was good, and we were considering it. The issue was that I was told there's an LPN at night, but after further discussion we learned that there weren't LPN... Read more