6 Assisted Living Facilities near Marion, NC
There are 6 Assisted Living Facilities in the Marion area, with 3 in Marion and 3 nearby.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Marion, call (855) 863-8283.
3 Assisted Living Facilities in Marion, NC
3 Assisted Living Facilities near Marion, NC
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Marion
Marion, established in 1844, was named after Brigadier General Francis Marion, a well-known figure during the American Revolutionary War. Today, Marion has 7,838 residents, just over 16% of whom are seniors. If those seniors need help taking care of themselves, they can move into one of the area’s six assisted living facilities. In Marion and throughout the state, these facilities are regulated by the North Carolina Division of Health Service Regulation.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Marion
- The Marion area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Mission Hospital McDowell, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- There are several arts and culture opportunities in this small city. Seniors can view period furniture and artifacts in the three-story Carson House Museum. At the Founders’ Art Walk, located in downtown Marion, seniors can enjoy a collection of murals. Adventurous seniors may want to take a guided tour of the Linville Caverns. Local assisted living facilities may take seniors on trips to the many museums, attractions and recreation areas in nearby Asheville.
- Marion’s public transit options are limited. On weekdays, seniors who need transportation for medical appointments or errands can use McDowell Transit. Daily rides to the McDowell Senior Center are also available. McDowell Transit's service is free.
- Seniors who enjoy spending time outdoors may be pleased to learn that Marion has a relatively comfortable climate. On Sperling’s Comfort Index, Marion receives a score of 7.6, which is higher than the U.S. average of 7. The city experiences mild winters, and only four inches of snowfall per year, on average.
- North Carolina’s tax policies may leave more money in some Marion seniors’ pockets, which may make assisted living more affordable. The state doesn’t tax Social Security benefits. For seniors who have retired from a state or federal government position, some retirement benefits may be tax-exempt. A flat tax rate of 5.49% applies to other retirement income, such as 401(k)s.
- For seniors on a tight budget, Marion’s low cost of living may be appealing. The small city is 17.9% less expensive than the national norm. The largest savings are in housing, but transportation and groceries are also more affordable than the U.S. average.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Marion
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in North Carolina
Assisted Living costs in Marion start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Marion and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Marion
In North Carolina, seniors may receive help paying for assisted living services through the state’s Personal Care Services program. In addition to this Medicaid waiver, funding may be available through the state’s optional state supplementation program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in North Carolina page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in North Carolina page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Marion
Marion and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Marion, please visit our Assisted Living in North Carolina page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Marion
Marion-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in North Carolina are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in North Carolina page for more information about these laws.