14 Assisted Living Facilities near Chapel Hill, NC
Also serving communities of Hillsborough.
There are 14 Assisted Living Facilities in the Chapel Hill area, with 9 in Chapel Hill and 5 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Chapel Hill is $4,866 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,400. Cheaper nearby regions include Pittsboro with an average starting cost of $3,900.
To help you with your search, browse the 95 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Chapel Hill. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Chapel Hill 4.2 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Pittsboro with an average rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Chapel Hill, call (855) 863-8283.
9 Assisted Living Facilities in Chapel Hill, NC
5 Assisted Living Facilities near Chapel Hill, NC
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Chapel Hill
Chapel Hill, N.C., has a family-friendly atmosphere when it comes to local attractions. Agritourism is the city’s way of combining entertainment and education for visitors and locals alike.
Seniors living in Chapel Hill have access to 10 assisted living facilities (ALFs) within city limits, and six in the nearby area. ALFs are called Adult Care Homes (ACHs) in the state of North Carolina and offer 24-hour supervision and assistance with activities of daily living (ADLs), including medication management. The North Carolina Division of Health Service Regulation makes the policies for these facilities.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Chapel Hill
- Saving money may be difficult for seniors on a budget in Chapel Hill, due to a cost of living that is 31 percent higher than the national average.
- Seniors might enjoy a sense of security in Chapel Hill which boasts a low crime rate. Violent crime is ranked at 12.4 out of 100 (1 being the safest) which is less than half the national average of 31.1. Property crime is 39.6, just a little bit higher than the national average of 38.1.
- There are four seasons in Chapel Hill, with a high average of 89 degrees in July and a low average of 29 degrees in January, so seniors can enjoy the 216 days of sunshine without getting too hot. There is an average of 4 inches of snowfall per year.
- The Chapel Hill area is home to world-class medical facilities, including University of North Carolina (UNC) Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- There are a plethora of museums and parks for entertainment and culture in Chapel Hill. Seniors can tour the Ackland Art Museum or visit the Ayr Mount Historic Site, an 1815 plantation house that hosts a tour of the grand 19th-century interior and the beautiful grounds.
- Chapel Hill Transit offers fixed route bus services so seniors can access shopping, dining and entertainment, as well as get to doctor’s appointments.
Paying for Assisted Living in Chapel Hill
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in North Carolina
Assisted Living costs in Chapel Hill start around $4,866 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Chapel Hill and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Chapel Hill
Seniors who are seeking financial aid for assisted living have options under the state's Medicaid plan. Qualified seniors have access to the Personal Care Services Program, which offers coverage for assisted living costs. Seniors without Medicaid can apply to the Special Assistance (SA) Program, a non-Medicaid funded plan that helps eligible individuals afford assisted living.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in North Carolina page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in North Carolina page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Chapel Hill
Chapel Hill and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Chapel Hill, please visit our Assisted Living in North Carolina page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Chapel Hill
Chapel Hill-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in North Carolina are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in North Carolina page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Chapel Hill, NC
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Chapel Hill
Review of The Stratford
The room stinks The staff have their favorites and I'm not one of them. They are just making my life even harder then it was The food so far, bad just bad Read more
Review of The Stratford
Had been visiting a relative there and am shocked at what happens here. In the dining room and in general. The medicine givers seems to have no regular schedule and are overworked. The few meals I ... Read more
Review of Brookdale Chapel Hill
My sister recently moved in Brookdale CH from another facility that wasn't working. We visited several facilities in the Durham Chapel Hill area and found this on to be the best of the lot. We real... Read more