10 Assisted Living Facilities near Canton, NC
Also serving communities of Clyde.
There are 10 Assisted Living Facilities in the Canton area, with 2 in Canton and 8 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 2 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Canton. Better rated regions include Waynesville with an average rating of 4.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Canton, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Canton, NC
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Canton
Canton is a small Western North Carolina town in the heart of the beautiful Southern Appalachian Mountains. It’s about 30 miles southeast of the Tennessee border and 20 miles from downtown Asheville. With a population of approximately 4,227, Canton provides seniors with a quiet small-town atmosphere and all the big-city conveniences of vibrant Asheville.
Canton claims a sizable senior population, with 19.8% of the town’s residents aged 65 and older. Those who want help with some of the activities of daily living while enjoying as much independence as possible have two adult care homes (ACHs) in Canton to consider. Another eight are located in nearby Waynesville, Candler and Clyde. The North Carolina Division of Health Service Regulation licenses ACHs in the entire state including Asheville.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Canton
- Canton seniors enjoy plentiful cultural opportunities and outdoor festivals in nearby Asheville. These include the Asheville Art Museum, The Biltmore Estate, the Asheville Symphony and the 200-plus working studios in the River Arts District, a 1-mile stretch along the French Broad River.
- The American Lung Association grades Canton, and all of Haywood County, a “C” for ozone pollution. Seniors with heart or lung conditions may want to monitor the air quality on days they plan to be active outdoors.
- The Canton area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Haywood Regional Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Canton offers an array of resources for seniors, including the Canton Senior Center, which provides meals, activities, classes, outings and lectures. Mountain Projects also provides numerous senior services.
- If seniors can tolerate 47 inches of rainfall and 11 inches of snow per year on average, Canton rewards them with comfortable summer temperatures. July is the hottest month, with an average high of 81.5 degrees. The town typically experiences two or fewer days that reach 90 degrees, making Canton one of the coolest places in North Carolina.
- Canton’s property crime rate is more than double the national average. On a 100-point scale, the town rates a 78.9. The U.S. average is 35.4. Canton’s violent crime rate of 18.3 is lower than the 22.7 national average. Seniors should verify that assisted living facilities under consideration provide advanced monitoring and security systems.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Canton
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in North Carolina
Assisted Living costs in Canton start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Canton and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Canton
Low-income seniors in Canton may be eligible for aid to help cover the cost of room and board in ACHs through North Carolina’s State/County Special Assistance Program (For Adult Care Home Residents).
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in North Carolina page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in North Carolina page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Canton
Canton and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Canton, please visit our Assisted Living in North Carolina page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Canton
Canton-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in North Carolina are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in North Carolina page for more information about these laws.