67 Assisted Living Facilities near Yonkers, NY
Also serving communities of Riverdale.
There are 67 Assisted Living Facilities in the Yonkers area, with 4 in Yonkers and 63 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Yonkers is $3,494 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,450. Cheaper nearby regions include Bronx with an average starting cost of $1,225.
To help you with your search, browse the 478 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Yonkers. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Yonkers 3.7 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Mount Vernon with an average rating of 4.2 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Yonkers, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Yonkers, NY
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Yonkers
Yonkers, New York is suburban community north of New York City that's known as a quiet place to live. It features views of the Hudson River, along with many art museums and green spaces for seniors to enjoy. There are 103 assisted living facilities to choose from in the Yonkers area, all of which are regulated by the New York Department of health as adult care facilities (ACFs). These facilities provide long-term non-medical care to adults who can't live entirely independently due.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Yonkers
Winters in Yonkers have low temperatures averaging in the mid-20s and snow throughout the season. The rest of the year, the temperatures are moderate, with summer highs in the high 80s. Monthly precipitation is common, which may limit the time seniors can spend enjoying outdoor activities.
- While Westchester County, in which Yonkers resides, has improved it's overall air quality in recent years, it recently got an F from the American Lung Association for ozone pollution. In other words, sometimes the air is good in the Yonkers area, other times it's not ideal to be outside.
- As it’s a relatively desirable suburb, Yonkers has a higher cost of living than both the state and national averages. However, much of this is due to the cost of housing, which is more than double the national mean. Utility costs are also higher, as are other necessities like groceries and health care.
- The overall crime rate in Yonkers is lower than both the state and national averages by a significant percentage, though the violent crime rate is strangely higher than national averages. This may be a concern for seniors who enjoy spending time away from their assisted living community.
- For a suggested contribution of just one dollar, the city of Yonkers provides transportation services for seniors who need to go to doctor’s appointments, supermarkets and local senior centers. There are specific windows when this transportation service is offered and seniors should call the Office of Aging at least two weeks in advance to schedule a ride.
- The Yonkers area is home to world-class medical facilities, including St. John’s Riverside Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness
Paying for Assisted Living in Yonkers
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in New York
Assisted Living costs in Yonkers start around $3,762 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Yonkers and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Yonkers
The state of New York provides a couple waiver programs that help seniors afford their chosen assisted living facility. The Managed Long Term Care Waiver helps residents with payment in assisted living facilities and the Assisted Living Program helps those who qualify for nursing home care but want to live in an assisted living facility afford it.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in New York page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in New York page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Yonkers
Yonkers and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Yonkers, please visit our Assisted Living in New York page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Yonkers
Yonkers-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in New York are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in New York page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Yonkers, NY
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Yonkers
Review of Five Star Premier Residences of Yonkers
Five Star Premier Residences of Yonkers is very nice. So far, my sister has been very happy there. She likes the food and she's happy with the people. She has a nice big room, and it has everything... Read more
Review of Westchester Center for Independent & Assisted Living
A little over two years ago, I moved my mom to The Westchester to give her a safe place to live that was close to me. Having her nearby was important because it she was getting on in years and it ... Read more
Review of Sunrise of Crestwood
Sunrise is lovely, more traditional, and posh. They had a library, TV rooms, and little nooks and crannies where people could read a book if they want. They had meeting rooms, little area where peo... Read more