28 Assisted Living Facilities near Sparkill, NY
There are 28 Assisted Living Facilities in the Sparkill area, with 1 in Sparkill and 27 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 207 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Sparkill. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Sparkill 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Pearl River with an average rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Sparkill, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Sparkill, NY
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Sparkill
The name Sparkill is thought to come from the Dutch words "spar," or mast, and "kill," or inlet, and the hamlet was named by the first Dutch settlers. It's now part of Orangetown, and in the 2010 census was home to around 1,500 people.
Seniors in Sparkill may find accommodation in the hamlet's one assisted living facility, or one of the 60 in nearby communities in both New York and New Jersey. These facilities are licensed by the New York State Department of Health and are known as Assisted Living Residences (ALRs).
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Sparkill
- The Orangeburg area, including Sparkill, is home to world-class medical facilities, including Montefiore Nyack Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Transport of Rockland (TOR) provides public transportation to Sparkill and around the Rockland County area. Riders aged 60 or over with a valid ID are eligible for half-price fares. Seniors may also be eligible for the TRIPS service, which provides curb to curb transportation for people unable to use the fixed-route service.
- New York State, including Sparkill, is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.
- Seniors in Sparkill can enjoy the arts and culture of Rockland County. The county has numerous galleries, including Sparkill's own Union Arts Center, which has a space for exhibitions and performances in the hamlet.
- All income from Social Security is exempt from income tax in New York. Although income from retirement funds and private pensions are subject to income tax, it is deductible up to $20,000, leaving more money in seniors' retirement budget.
- The cost of living in Sparkill is 170 in Sperling's scale, compared to the national average fo 100, making the hamlet an expensive place to live. This is mostly due to the high cost of housing, but seniors will still find the cost of groceries and health care higher than the U.S. average.
Paying for Assisted Living in Sparkill
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in New York
Assisted Living costs in Sparkill start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Sparkill and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Sparkill
Seniors in Sparkill who receive income from Social Security may be eligible for financial assistance through the Optional State Supplement (OSS). New York also helps fund care to people in assisted living through the Assisted Living Program (ALP); although, the program is only available to a limited number of people.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in New York page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in New York page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Sparkill
Sparkill and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Sparkill, please visit our Assisted Living in New York page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Sparkill
Sparkill-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in New York are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in New York page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Sparkill
Review of Dowling gardens
This is a really warm, lovely place. My grandmother moved there after my grandfather passed away and she often commented on how kind the nuns and staff were there. The food was also very good. I ha... Read more
Review of Dowling gardens
The staff at Dowling Gardens was very accommodating, it was independent living, but mother needs assisted living. The residents there looked happy, content, and friendly. They said they liked it th... Read more
Review of Dowling gardens
This facility in Orangeburg, NY was in my mind above average. I met my grandfather there and he was very happy with the place. The staff were more than helpful to me and very helpful to him. The ... Read more