23 Assisted Living Facilities near Penfield, NY
There are 23 Assisted Living Facilities in the Penfield area, with 3 in Penfield and 20 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Penfield is $3,140 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,400.
To help you with your search, browse the 155 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Penfield. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Penfield 3.9 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Webster with an average rating of 4.2 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 15 families in Penfield find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Penfield, call (855) 863-8283.
3 Assisted Living Facilities in Penfield, NY
20 Assisted Living Facilities near Penfield, NY
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Penfield
Penfield is a suburb of Rochester and home to around 37,000 people. It has a large senior population, with almost 21 percent of residents. aged 65 and older. There are 23 assisted living facilities in Penfield and nearby communities, including Rochester and Fairport. These facilities are referred to as Adult Care Facilities or Assisted Living Residences, depending on the type of license they hold. The New York State Department of Health regulates assisted living facilities in Penfield and the rest of New York.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Penfield
- Monroe County, including Penfield, is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.
- The Penfield area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Highland Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- RTS provides public transportation to the Penfield area and riders aged 65 and older are eligible for a discount during off-peak times. Seniors may also be eligible to use RTS Access, an origin-to-destination ride-sharing service for people unable to access the regular service.
- The overall cost of living in Penfield is 103 on the Sperling index, three points higher than the national average. Some daily expenses, like utilities, are higher than average, while others, including groceries and healthcare, are lower. This may allow seniors to make saving in their budget, depending on their regular expenses.
- Penfield's harsh winters may be challenging to some seniors. The town gets 78 inches of snow each year, 52 inches more than the national average, and the average low temperature in January is 18 degrees. Seniors may wish to inquire about plans for extreme weather events when touring facilities.
- Monroe County, including Penfield, has good air quality. The county received an A grade for 24-hour particle pollution in the State of the Air 2018 report and a B grade for ozone pollution. This can benefit the health of all seniors, especially those with respiratory conditions.
Paying for Assisted Living in Penfield
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in New York
Assisted Living costs in Penfield start around $3,140 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Penfield and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Penfield
The Optional State Supplement (OSS) may be available to seniors in Penfield who are receiving income from Social Security. New York also has the the Assisted Living Program (ALP) which offers financial assistance to a limited number of people in the state who are in assisted living facilities.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in New York page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in New York page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Penfield
Penfield and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Penfield, please visit our Assisted Living in New York page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Penfield
Penfield-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in New York are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in New York page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Penfield
Review of Heathwood Assisted Living at Penfield
Our experience with Heathwood Assisted Living at Penfield was good. The staff was excellent except the two of them were not kind and were a little rough, but the rest was absolutely wonderful. My m... Read more
Review of Atria Penfield
They're very friendly at Atria Penfield. It's bright, airy, and refreshing. The rooms were a little bit bigger, and the dining room area was a little more updated than the others we looked at. They... Read more
Review of Legacy at Grande�Vie
Rooms aren't always clean. When my mother left the place you will find meds on the floor under the furniture. Staff is changing all the time so very hard to get to know who is who. Some of the sta... Read more